Pod Your Reef

Dawn's 56 gallon natural nutrient reef.

vlangel

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Dawn's 1st real reef tank, 90 gallons aio, VHO 48" bulbs: 2 white 2 blue. HOB pump (Set up 2004, this pic 2010)

I thought it might be fun for you to see my 1st real reef tank.  It was a 90 gallon AGA set up in fall of 2004.  Originally it was an aio with a Marineland Penguin 400 with dual bio-wheels FOWLR tank.  In 2007 I added a sump and VHO lighting and moved into real reefing.  This pic was taken in Aug 2010.  A year and few months later my mother in law became confined to bed in our home and I became a full time caregiver.  This tank and a 120 gallon FOWLR in the basement were now more than I could manage so I sold them both.  That is when I bought my 36 gallon bowfront and joined N-R since I had never kept a smaller tank.

I still have coral/frags from that era.  Also all my rock, barnacles came from that tank.  I recycle everything if possible. LOL

Love it!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Love it!

Thank you.  It was fun for me to see it again.  It looks nicer than I remembered.

Well my PO4 came down to 1 ppm.  Perhaps this week's WCs will bring it down some more.

Perhaps not however because I bought some reef roids for the very first time.  I will use them sparingly though which should help.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:11 AM, debbeach13 said:

Hi Been awhile since you posted. I hope every thing is OK.

Yes, all is fine but summer has been crazy.  We just arrived home from a vacation in SC and brought the grandchildren with us.  So we are in for more crazy, (in a good way!).  Both tanks are fine though. Thanks for asking.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

As you all can perhaps guess, summer has not slowed down.  I have been out of town multiple Xs and each time it takes me a couple of weeks to catch up on maintenance of my tanks, yard work and the volunteering I do.  Now I am home until Labor day weekend.

The good news is that both the pony and reef are doing well.  Here is a pic of Aug FTS of the reef.  The red macros are growing like mad but I struggle to keep the green doing well.  I do have lots in the seahorse tank however.

FTS Aug 2019

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
16 hours ago, vlangel said:

As you all can perhaps guess, summer has not slowed down.  I have been out of town multiple Xs and each time it takes me a couple of weeks to catch up on maintenance of my tanks, yard work and the volunteering I do.  Now I am home until Labor day weekend.

The good news is that both the pony and reef are doing well.  Here is a pic of Aug FTS of the reef.  The red macros are growing like mad but I struggle to keep the green doing well.  I do have lots in the seahorse tank however.

FTS Aug 2019

Tank looks wonderful! It's so difficult to get a hold of red macro here. I've been trying to acquire red grape for years without success. 

• Like 1
On 8/24/2019 at 8:10 AM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. I hope the grandkids are all well and you had some fun. Tank does not look neglected.

The grandkids did great and it was a lot of fun.  I am more or less doing all the maintenance I need to for the tanks.  And of course I only take pics when the glass looks good because that is not as important as other maintenance chores.

• Like 2
On 8/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Tank looks wonderful! It's so difficult to get a hold of red macro here. I've been trying to acquire red grape for years without success. 

I wished I could send you some of my red grape.  Its a long trip from the USA to where you are.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Right after the last update my gyre went on the fritz.  I think its a bushing but it could be the whole right side unit.  I added (2) rio 200s but it is no where near the flow that the gyre made.  All the coral look fine however and of course the fish don't care.  I guess I need to make a decision and place an order to replace something (probably the whole side, bushings and all).  

• Wow 1
On 9/23/2019 at 7:19 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Aww what luck! Out of warranty I imagine? At least everything is doing ok despite the change in flow!

Yes, everything is just fine, except the gyre! 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks it has taken me a while but I got my gyre going again.  I had to replace the whole right side except the cage.  After I did that it had so much power that the surface boiled like a geyser at only 50%.  It never did that before and since I do not want water spewed all over the wall and floor I have moved the gyre from a horizontal position in the middle of the back wall to a vertical position in the middle of the right side glass.  I don't like it that way quite as well but the flow in the tank in the reverse mode works well there, so I plan to learn to like it, Ha ha!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1