Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vegasgundogs 120gal Planet Aquariums

vegasgundog

On 11/8/2018 at 7:46 PM, vegasgundog said:

The four horsemen....20181108_164411.thumb.jpg.c962e4acf32cf2c13e35a69a100b22b8.jpg

I have already sold off or given away a bunch of splits, still left with 2 in my tank, and debating if I should just go without them!!  So I feel your pain...

Hopefully your system sorts itself out, initially I thought you might not have enough nutrients, but you seem to be ok. 🙂 

• Like 2

Oreo our elderly kitty always bugs me when I get into the cabinet for anything. Today she used what strength she has to crawl into my lap. I remember my 24 year old daughter moving her around in a baby doll stroller. I've been sitting now for about an hour with my back to the center support of the stand with her on my lap. As much as it would hurt me, I don't mind if she passes right here. My feet have fallen asleep a couple of times and my back hurts but this is the most comfortable she has been in days. Her once deep purr is little more than an echo in my lap. Her sister went two years ago and he giant golden retriever brother last year. Left foot is asleep again but I don't want to disturb her. 20181118_191051.thumb.jpg.a9980ad5c891c3207fb0244686efa650.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Been adding rock flower anemone lately. Local fish store has been making regular purchases weekly and advertising. I keep missing the purple and blues 😠

20190106_190328.jpg

20190106_190245.jpg

20190106_190304.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Beautiful collection of rock flower anemones you've started, I like this pursuit! 🙂 What's your favorite LFS up there? I'll be out that way for a wedding in a few weeks.

How is Oreo doing? ❤️ 

On 1/8/2019 at 7:08 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Beautiful collection of rock flower anemones you've started, I like this pursuit! 🙂 What's your favorite LFS up there? I'll be out that way for a wedding in a few weeks.

How is Oreo doing? ❤️ 

Aquatic treasures is the main one for me. Blue reef is out of the way, but they are great. Sorry so late reply.

As for oreo..... we found a vet who does hospice home visits😥

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
14 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

Aquatic treasures is the main one for me. Blue reef is out of the way, but they are great. Sorry so late reply.

As for oreo..... we found a vet who does hospice home visits😥

Sorry to hear of your loss. How fortunate that you all could be together there at home, though. ❤️ 

I appreciate the recommendations, I will check them out!

• Like 1
On 1/15/2019 at 9:25 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear of your loss. How fortunate that you all could be together there at home, though. ❤️ 

I appreciate the recommendations, I will check them out!

I would recommend anyone find a veterinarian who does hospice visits versus taking a pet to an office for end of life. At our age unfortunately we've had a number of pets who reached their age. I'll never take one to the office again. 

Hope you have a great time here on your trip. 

• Like 1

When your wife tells you to leave shit alone, how many listen? I didn't. I got caught up in the whole BRS emulator for AI Hydras and I ended up nuking all my SPS and even an old colony of acans. I had white and uv up way to high and lots of death resulted. Sometimes I just want to smack myself with a 2x4. Thank God I didnt lose everything. But what I lost has me sick. My bird nest is gone. Even though at times it was a weed, I had that forever. Macna corals mystic monti and oregon tort are near gone. The monti may have some DNA hidden and the oregon tort has one shaded side that hopefully will come back. Not sure if my macna purple goniopora is going to make it. Never had great luck with them anyway but this one was going great. It A random green polyp encrusting monti is toast. A few polyps have appeared since lights dimmed, but it will take forever to fill back in. But all the zoas I got from macna are doing great. Live and learn I guess.

Worst of all the pearl jawfish jumped out the back despite what I thought was and adequate egg crate cover. It's not related to the lights, but I feel failure for not protecting it more. 2 weeks before I sumped an emerald crab that was caught twice trying to catch the jawfish. To have it die jumping out makes me sad.

Goblin fire zoas20190204_112355.thumb.jpg.ba10e7700b7ba0261373277f06f0ad45.jpg

Green monti death

20190204_112308.thumb.jpg.d27dc082e43281117073b00fa59241db.jpg

Oregon tort, looks even worse since this is picture

20190204_112602.thumb.jpg.3402ebbcbf40aa4a2b588f2ffb356847.jpg

Acan wiped out. I can see flash deep inside....hope it will recover.

20190204_112503.thumb.jpg.bce9b884558a9a80dab0703d89845645.jpg

Rasta and blondie zoas. Blondies haven't reproduced but they have come back from what I thought was gone.

20190204_112545.thumb.jpg.b25f523a6f1673f413b452fc6f2d17d0.jpg

20190204_112420.jpg

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Aww man, sorry to hear! It sounds like your SPS took the brunt of it, hopefully they will recover with a little more time. How long did it go with the lights ramped up like that?

I'd say before Christmas, maybe right after. Last week I really stood back and realized I had to do something. Dont know why I didnt earlier. Some stuff like the oregon tort continued decline, I assume the DNA was to deeply damaged by uv. All the anemones, hammer and duncans are fine through the whole thing. Bubble tips are going bubble now with lights lower. Smh I should have known better. 

Sounds like your trip went well, did you like Aquatic treasures? Smaller shop but he has come a long way. Owner drives to LA every week or so for livestock pick ups.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
3 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

I'd say before Christmas, maybe right after. Last week I really stood back and realized I had to do something. Dont know why I didnt earlier. Some stuff like the oregon tort continued decline, I assume the DNA was to deeply damaged by uv. All the anemones, hammer and duncans are fine through the whole thing. Bubble tips are going bubble now with lights lower. Smh I should have known better. 

Sounds like your trip went well, did you like Aquatic treasures? Smaller shop but he has come a long way. Owner drives to LA every week or so for livestock pick ups.

Damn, it's just so easy to underestimate these LED lights! 

It was a good trip, and Aquatic Treasures was a really nice shop! Thank you for the recommendation. We saw Hannah (New Life Spectrum) from MACNA was working there, that was a nice surprise! Their ricordea selection was amazing, we ended up taking two little ones home with us. Hannah said the frag selection was actually sparse compared to how it usually is, but we weren't disappointed. I'm usually up that way at least once or twice a year, it'll be a regular stop for sure!

Sonny usually has that frag rack loaded. He's supporting my be habbit by bringing in rock flower anemone regularly. I keep missing the purple or blues I'm looking for.

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Damn, it's just so easy to underestimate these LED lights! 

It was a good trip, and Aquatic Treasures was a really nice shop! Thank you for the recommendation. We saw Hannah (New Life Spectrum) from MACNA was working there, that was a nice surprise! Their ricordea selection was amazing, we ended up taking two little ones home with us. Hannah said the frag selection was actually sparse compared to how it usually is, but we weren't disappointed. I'm usually up that way at least once or twice a year, it'll be a regular stop for sure!

Beefing up security in the back after the death of my beloved pearl jawfish. We could watch him for hours. Thought previous cover would suffice.....

20190204_145444.thumb.jpg.71187a5a3a6697fde38680236c03ed17.jpg

20190204_155831.thumb.jpg.48921cff949db21609ca00d62236cbde.jpg

20190204_160333.thumb.jpg.85f0e7416450adfc93d3bed13f4edd99.jpg

• Like 3

20190214_140827.thumb.jpg.eecc9359d1af882cef50ca9a37e4f0e7.jpg

Other things may be dead but the ricordias are growing like crazy. Gather all the loose ones from around the sand bed and moved them to the paly rock. Gorgonia is happier than it has been. 

• Like 2

I've seen more decline in my burned acan colony and no recovery of sps. I tested parameters, something which should be obvious now after these years I've now been in the hobby. Alk and calcium perfect. Magnesium, not sure since red sea pisses me off because I never get the same test results (either 1200 or 1400). Embarrassingly, nitrates were 20 according to red sea. Started dosing nopox again this week. Monday I had hernia repair and I've been laid up this week. Thought I was going back to work Wednesday on light duty...... ended up setting up fmla for the week. Today up and about more and wife helped with 25 percent water change when i noticed my rainbow acan hds receded more. Nitrates are down to 10 now and gorgonia has been open ever since. Humbled twice this week about taking care of oneself .....and responsibilities. Hopefully the reduction in nitrates and decrease in lighting intensities will see healing. Having a long talk with the fish about not being Rods frozen food every night. 

• Like 1

Since getting the nitrates to 10ppm the gorgonian has been extended. I haven't seen this much polyp extension for some time. Goniopora extending too. I want to do another 25% wc again today but my wife won't let me. Even though she emptied the waste buckets.....I seem to overdid it a little. 6 days ago I had an umbilical hernia repair. We just got back from costco and I'm ready for the couch.

20190217_123222.thumb.jpg.cc8efb61d91a2b724f1ff83605f2cb64.jpg

I worry about lowering nitrates too much because zoas are doing so well I dont want to mess them up.

15504362553019088187562366032090.thumb.jpg.71ae6f6da16a54470380c549d5a1f89a.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Try to relax and take care of your self. 😊

What kind of flow is the Goni in? All of mine love blowing around. 

It is on the sand bed in the open. Might not get a lot of flow where it is. I might try adjusting the lock line return on the left.

• Like 1