Top Shelf Aquatics

Filter media

Aziaxi

I have an all-in-one Innovative Marine 10 gallon I recently upgraded my pump to a sicce micro plus 150gph if it's pretty well in the back chamber have no problems with it I like the performance

For my filtration I have a custom caddy no filter floss only biological filtration which is bio home with a Innovative Marine media reactor with gfo

3 hours ago, Aziaxi said:

Would 2 packcks of cemipure blue nano and seachem matrix would be over filtration on a 10 gallon nuvo fusion

Or any recommendation for filter or a pump upgrade 

Not at first IMO but after your tank matures and depending on your bioload, beneficial bacteria population, and natural filtration like macros...possibly! 🙂 

The seachem matrix is it the carbon or bio media you are using?

If carbon, yes it's overkill. Chemipure is carbon so using more carbon is unnecessary.

It's best to use the amount of packets stated in the instructions or you run the risk of over filtration

• Like 1

If you gonna replace Nano packs every 2-3 months, carbon effectiveness in it will be long gone. You can use small amount of Matrix (2-3 tablespoons) in separate filter sock and replace it more often (every 2-3 weeks). That’s my opinion. However, if you keep really small livestock, yes that could be an overkill.  If that’s the case try one Nano and Matrix combo.  

Why not just use regular carbon and change it out every 2-3 weeks.

It's cheaper buying it in large containers and bagging it yourself. I found it more effective too as no media lasts months besides as a detritus collecter

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Why not just use regular carbon and change it out every 2-3 weeks.

It's cheaper buying it in large containers and bagging it yourself. I found it more effective too as no media lasts months besides as a detritus collecter

I think that’s what he meant. 

You can buy Metrix carbon in bulk. 

At least that’s what I do. (ChemiPure elite or Nano plus small sock of of Metrix carbon. Replacing carbon every 2 weeks.)

Edit: from what I gather from ChemiPure owner is that they use highest quality carbon, however. There is no way that cabon can be effective over period of 2-3 months. Therefore, supplementing your tank with quality carbon every 2-3 weeks makes perfect sense..... if that’s the filtration media of choice ofcause. 👍

Why use  chemipure if you use another carbon? That leads to over carbon use which can cause issues just like over using any other media.

The added media in chemipure gets exhausted way before stated. Once again that can be purchased and bagged on it's own.

Personally I did the whole chemipure thing, never saw a difference from bagging my own media. The only thing different was cost and convenience.

I much prefer using a good carbon like Lent or Seachem and then using purigen on it's own and phosguard as needed.

4 hours ago, specore said:

And definitely run filter floss.  It is amazing how much gunk I export every couple of days just by changing out the floss. 

Definitely. Floss really helps. I can't imagine not using floss.

• Like 1

Using PhosBond (or alike) along with Matrix would probably be similar in effectiveness if you wanna go that route. 

And........

The exemple I’ve used is based on filtration method in my 30g tank. So, it’s not anecdotal statement but acctual hands on experience with both products. 

• Like 1