Innovative Marine Aquariums

Multifasciatus

Multifasciatus

So as the title states, can we? Or can we not?

Being Reef hobbiest as a whole we all have many things we say can or cannot be done, from fish store employees, to hobby literature, , veterans, to beginners, everybody’s opinions are different. I’ve worked in the industry for years, and have heard many many things. What I’ve noticed is most of these have no bases in actual science. Some of which I’ve proven through expierments to be false and others true (gorgonians do not die if they touch air, some sponges however do)

what I have found is a “you cannot unless you....” is more appropriate. So everybody post things that you think cannot be done or “rules” you have heard that you are unsure about and let’s discuss them. See if someone has evidence to the contrary. And maybe have some results for expierments proving if this to be the case or not. 

Please let’s not take unneeded risks with livestock, always be mindful and responsible of the creatures we care for.

And please keep an open mind and remember some of the species we keep now would have been considered impossible not that long ago.

Multifasciatus
Just now, Euphylin me said:

sure! hipegero aquaknight leds

Awesome, now years ago when leds first came on to the market, many people were unsure that leds would ever work better or even at all compared to their metal hailides and t5’s (some hobbiest still are unsure) so if everything we say now is true, what has change why do we suddenly now know everything we are doing is the correct way or the best it can be?

Just now, Multifasciatus said:

Awesome, now years ago when leds first came on to the market, many people were unsure that leds would ever work better or even at all compared to their metal hailides and t5’s (some hobbiest still are unsure) so if everything we say now is true, what has change why do we suddenly now know everything we are doing is the correct way or the best it can be?

its never going to be the best way until we call fully mimic mother nature. why do potter's angels, linckia stars, and other fish mysteriously die  after a given duration. we think we know what is the best until something comes along to prove us there is a better way to do it. the big three lighting options all have their pros and cons

Multifasciatus

I completely agree, so let’s push that and see how we can do better and learn to do new things. Linckia stars I myself am unsure. Potter’s angels I don’t believe are truly that hard of a fish to keep, they simply need to be fed a very high protein diet, with some sponge added, and they do fine. That is exactly what I’m trying to do here let’s challenge what we think we know best and see if others can show us a new way.

Multifasciatus

That potters by the way was one of the first fish I purchased in the hobby, I had him in my system for about 4 years, and then he was given to a friend who I believe still has him.

Multifasciatus

The sponge is the key it’s their natural diet, a lot of the centropyge and especially centropyge angels do a lot better if they are acclimated slowly into bright light as well, they vary rarely will venture into the bright sections of the reef in the wild perfecting overhangs and drop offs

Just now, Multifasciatus said:

That potters by the way was one of the first fish I purchased in the hobby, I had him in my system for about 4 years, and then he was given to a friend who I believe still has him.

that's great! potters are my favorite of all time! simply beautiful. 

Multifasciatus

That’s a strong possibility I know in the wild they tend to inhabit sea grass beds or close to them. So perhaps that’s a possibility. Has anyone had any success that we have not?

Multifasciatus

I’m considering getting another soon actually. Acclimate them slowly into the bright reef light and feed them a very high protein sponge rich diet and you will have much more success. 

• Thanks 1
Multifasciatus

Well what’s different about his tank that may be in others? Unusual algae’s, micro life, food he feeds? 

If it’s no longer in your buddy’s system I would be curious to see how it does with time.