Cultivated Reef

?s about corals at lfs

MrObscura

I was just in an lfs and they had a few corals that caught my eye. Unfortunately the employee on duty was little help. So, I thought I'd post some pics and hopefully get a little insight. 

The first is colored kind of like a poker star monti but plates. Any info? 

Next looks like a acro with super long polyps. 

Then a super colorful acro, but some of the color seems like algea growth of some sort. What's up with it? It's blue, yellow, green, red and the guy said it's "Rainbow something. " the red and green is definitely growth seen elsewhere in the tank. 

20180917_135754.jpg

20180917_135717.jpg

20180917_135316.jpg

First looks like a monti, though I’ve never seen a cap type quite so nice. 

Second, no idea. 

Lasr could be A. granulosa, or A. lokani. Whatever it is, it looks like a deep water acro.

• Like 1

Yea that first one is cool. It's like a pokerstar with a darker base that plates. I'd really like to know what it is. 

The guy at the store didn't know anything and told me to email them to get answers from the guy that knows but they haven't gotten back to me. 

The last on was really cool with yellow and blue, but the red and green were algea or something growing on it. 

1 minute ago, MrObscura said:

Yea that first one is cool. It's like a pokerstar with a darker base that plates. I'd really like to know what it is. 

The guy at the store didn't know anything and told me to email them to get answers from the guy that knows but they haven't gotten back to me. 

The last on was really cool with yellow and blue, but the red and green were algea or something growing on it. 

i originally thought pokerstar but the polyps are more spread out, which made me think supernatural montipora. if you look online some of the montis look exactly like that one when they are under blue/uv lights

Yea. It's not that impressive a shop imo. But worth checking out. 

Wojtek's reef in the city is the best place I've found. Most of my corals are from him. But he's light on sps. 

I'm looking forward to checking out tank it easy. 

What shops do you like in the Chicago area? 

I haven’t been to too many in years. Just starting up another tank. Old Town was always a fantastic shop. Not much in corals, but fish, inverts and displays were top notch. Sea Shor was another good one. Steve always had super nice stuff. There have been lots of others that have come and gone, some still around. I don’t remember their names, though. Schaumburg had like 4 or 5 LFS’ with good salt selections. That aquarium misadventures put a crimp on all but one, last i was through that way.exotic aquatics is still around, I think. Then there was that other one with a different spelling, in bensenville, I think. Never much liked that place. Midwest whatever it was called out just off of 72 had great stuff before they went out. I just didn’t much care for a few of the people there.

Unfortunately, it seems most lfs have closed up or gone down hill. Old Town, I wasn't  impressed. Coral selection is poor and they charge a ton. 250 bucks for a pair of poorly bred deformed divincis. 

Been to sea shore once. Guy didn't get there until like 20 minutes after their open time, tanks were dirty and frag selection was limited. 

There's only one shop in schaumburg now, beyond the reef. They've been in business for years, but selection is again limited and tanks don't look too hot. 

I'm going to take a trip to tank it easy in a couple weeks. It's pretty much the only place in the Chicago area I haven't been to. Besides exotic aquatics, they have decent reviews but I question a place that runs a promotion giving a blue tang away to anyone who buys a 30 gallon tank. 

Ocean blue aquatics in elgin is nice. Very small and very limited selection, but clean, healthy looking tanks. For the most part. Worth stopping by to see if a frag or 2 catches your eye. Kind of like sea escapes. And since theyre within 10 minutes of each other...