Coral Vue Hydros

Added new Clownfish and it's being a real POS

reeferx2

So I've had one small davinci clown in my 5.5 Gallon reef for 4 years now, always a happy little camper. Two weeks ago I added a phantom clownfish because I thought it was time the davinci had a friend. When I initially added the phantom everything was fine for about 2 days, and they seemed to be getting along famously. I then left for a 10 day vacation come back and my davinci has marks on her face, and seems frightened of the phantom and commonly found cowering from it. 

I'm very close to bringing this bully back to the pet store... 

7 minutes ago, specore said:

I would.  5.5g is really tight quarters for such aggressive fish.  

i agree, that's pushing it for one clown....2 is a little out of the question even if they were a mated pair

As mentioned 5.5g is small for a pair, and when you introduce a new clown to a tank with a one that's been there you have to get a really small one so that it's not developed into a mature male or female to lessen aggression and give them a better chance of getting along. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, reeferx2 said:

Yea the new one is larger than the original. I'm going to give the phantom to my buddy with a 14 gal and try again with a smaller fish. 

Good luck. Anything you add to a 5.5g with an established clownfish is likely to get the crap beat out of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Ironically the newer larger one is the bully. 

Is my original clown gonna be all messed up with all this sex change nonsense going on? This is a very west village situation I've got on my hands here haha.

6 minutes ago, reeferx2 said:

Ironically the newer larger one is the bully. 

Is my original clown gonna be all messed up with all this sex change nonsense going on? This is a very west village situation I've got on my hands here haha.

Sure, but if you add a smaller one then the old clown will just assume the role of bully.  Probably more of a monster since she already sees the tank as her territory.  

• Like 1

There are people who successfully keep small clown pairs in a 5g but if you are experiencing aggression I would definitely re home the new one.

I had a similar situation in my 10g. 1 clown was just a b%+×h and its partner was always hiding, so was my shrimp.

The minute I removed the aggressive clown, the other one suddenly was all over the tank and so is the shrimp.

I added a tail spot blenny and they are best of buds.

If you want to try to add another fish, try something else. I've had great luck with blennies and clowns being friends swimming together and all.

• Like 2

The 2nd clown I added was tiny compared to my first.  

“DaVinci” and “Phantoms”?...wow, I’ve been out of the clownfish loop for sure...lol

It another smaller clown doesn’t work, try @Clown79‘s suggestion. I don’t know a TSB owner that didn’t adore theirs, that includes myself 🙂

13 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you want to try to add another fish, try something else. I've had great luck with blennies and clowns being friends swimming together and all.

On that note, do you think it matters much what order you add those two in?

2 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

The 2nd clown I added was tiny compared to my first.  

“DaVinci” and “Phantoms”?...wow, I’ve been out of the clownfish loop for sure...lol

It another smaller clown doesn’t work, try @Clown79‘s suggestion. I don’t know a TSB owner that didn’t adore theirs, that includes myself 🙂

My davinci pair. They're essentially the ocellaris varient of Picassos. 

IMG_20180807_215538.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

5.5g is FAR too small for a clownfish, let alone two. i had two darwin clowns in a 30g, and they fought a bit, but they stopped after a while. until one was eaten by The Satanic Coral Banded Shrimp From The Deep Dark Depths Of Hell. the shrimp lives in the sump now. the other clown is obese.