Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question about the Moonlight 0.5 (Is there any effect on corals & fish / how to disable?)

SonRK

Hi all,

Finally got my Duo up and running over my Lagoon 25! Everything looks great, and I decided to make my life easy and use the Mixed Reef Preset. I noticed that there is always a light on in the evening, and the Bluefish controller (if I click on the little graph) says it is the Moonlight set at 0.5.

So the main question is, since it's so low light, it has no effect on corals/fish right? I wouldn't want to ruin any potential sleep scheduling they may have.  And how would I go about to have it set to 0 when I want it to be complete darkness? The Bluefish has some delay when going through menus, so I haven't had time to go through it all yet.

Thanks!

Years and years ago, I set up moonlighting on a 150 gallon tank with a first generation Neptune Systems controller and 2 blue "party" incandescent bulbs I got at Home Depot.  I used the lunar cycle and I loved not only the look, but the realism it provided with the intensity of the moon.  Sometimes it was on during the day when the MH were on just like sometimes we can see the moon during full daylight.  I also had snails spawn one time...I attributed some of it to the lunar cycle...whether it is true or not, I thought so and I loved it.  So now I always run moonlight over my tanks.

5 hours ago, SonRK said:

Hi all,

Finally got my Duo up and running over my Lagoon 25! Everything looks great, and I decided to make my life easy and use the Mixed Reef Preset. I noticed that there is always a light on in the evening, and the Bluefish controller (if I click on the little graph) says it is the Moonlight set at 0.5.

So the main question is, since it's so low light, it has no effect on corals/fish right? I wouldn't want to ruin any potential sleep scheduling they may have.  And how would I go about to have it set to 0 when I want it to be complete darkness? The Bluefish has some delay when going through menus, so I haven't had time to go through it all yet.

Thanks!

Or set it to something between 0 and .5, say .2.  Will still give you some ambient light most nights but won't be as bright. 

• Like 1