ReefCleaners.org

Anem-mom

Okay, Update:

I moved him over to the 5g last night and checked on him one more time before going to bed, and when I got up this morning (around 5am - yay high school) he had come off of the shell that he was attached to - but only by a few centimeters - and was still very very shrunken and shriveled. I think I read that one of the more serious signs of nem bleaching is not attaching to something... should I be worried (because I am..)?

It's also feeding day, and I'm going to feed him after I get home, but he doesn't ever have his tentacles out anymore... any tips?

Don’t force food on it if the tentacles are closed. It’s been through a lot and may not want to eat right now. The most important thing to watch right now is water quality, ammonia and nitrates. Keep everything as stable as possible but keep ammonia at 0 and I wouldn’t go above 5-10 on nitrates. Stability is the key with anemones. 

• Thanks 1

I'm with @OldManSea on this one. I'm concerned that your water is too warm for him. He isn't a tropical critter and most of us around here are used to trying to reproduce tropical conditions. I think it would help to try to figure out what temperature range he is actually used to living in. 

Since he isn't photosynthetic (right?), I don't know if the lights might actually be annoying him. Again, what are the conditions he is used to?

You also might want to get your hands on a bacterial kickstarter like Bio-Spira or Seachem Stability. You should be able to find something at the local fish store or even the big box pet stores.

Something like Seachem AmGuard or Prime would also be good to have on hand in case of Amonia spikes. AmQuel+ might be easier to find and it should work also.

Just my 2 cents. I think it is perfectly do-able but you need to figure out what kind of environment will make him happy... and make sure he isn't being poisoned by ammonia.

• Thanks 1

Okay, I’m panicking. I’ve been keeping water levels stable, no ammonia and no nitrates, but he’s looking the worst I’ve ever seen him. PLEASE help... I stuck some shrimp in front of him but he’s on his side and won’t take it. Hes barely reactive, not really at all. I’m worried he’s about to die...50E874FE-D9CE-4377-881F-83A329D51651.thumb.jpeg.04572287cad7c207855ef577bed7561f.jpegD01AFBD6-8CD6-48A9-9AA7-3E8A67B67996.thumb.jpeg.801aae3abf35ab8f704f177a0e1d12fe.jpeg2873F8D4-15B4-4851-99B3-A6C24E886A14.thumb.jpeg.6dcc4dcf576870ed76ca222779fc08b2.jpeg

I'm afraid there probably is nothing you can do at this point.  I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, the thing was pretty much left for dead when you found it anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the tank cycled? If you live near the beach, you could leave the anemone somewhere you can find it until the tank is cycled.

Or set up a second tank, and let that cycle, and keep doing water changes for the tank with the anemone.

I’m not sure where you are but in my state, as long as you have a recreational saltwater fishing license, you are allowed to harvest up to 20 creatures a day by hand—fish or inverts—as long as you abide by the approved lists, collection methods, and don’t intend to sell.

This anenome wasn’t so much for you, as I’m sure you didn’t go out with the purpose of harvesting a creature for a reef tank but rather to try to save it unexpectedly, so I applaud your good heart.  

• 2 weeks later...