SaltCritters.com

IM 14 or Fluval Evo 13.5?

sm32589g

I love my IM 14 and the things I didn't like about the fluval was that it came with a light (can be a plus, but I didn't want that light..), I don't like the honeycomb or whatever screen it is over the back chambers. And the biggest thing was that it's got that "floating" design on the bottom. Those make me worry about breaking, but even more important for me is I have my tank on my kitchen counter and I didn't want to have to try to clean anything out from under the tank.. 

Those were the reasons I chose the IM, but once I received and saw the IM tank in person, I'm absolutely in love with the tank. I'd buy this brand, or the Cobalt AIO if I were shopping again, but I'm not because I'm very happy with my purchase. 🙂

On 9/30/2018 at 9:54 PM, devaji108 said:

so what did you go with?

Nothing yet. But I'm either going with the fluval 13.5 or the IM 20 now. 20 if I can find an easy lighting solution. I'm thinking current marine pro if I can support anemone and montis with it.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, sm32589g said:

Nothing yet. But I'm either going with the fluval 13.5 or the IM 20 now. 20 if I can find an easy lighting solution. I'm thinking current marine pro if I can support anemone and montis with it.

Why not just get an ai Prime HD. 1 will work mounted at 12".

I would look at the AI Prime, but I do have the regular current marine light and have to dim it on my tank.. it's just softies, but I think the pro would work for the higher par things you want. 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:30 PM, sm32589g said:

yeah I am in the same boat looking for a little nano and I like longer tanks vs cubes ( even tho my "big" tank is cubish @36x24x24)

I keep going back and forth too. I have a few weeks to think about it so I am in no rush.

but the IM 20 is no the top of the list.

just FYI black Friday is coming up I bet there will be some good deals.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:40 PM, Clown79 said:

Why not just get an ai Prime HD. 1 will work mounted at 12".

so you think 1 AI prime 12" above tank would light a 30x12x13 tank??

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, devaji108 said:

so you think 1 AI prime 12" above tank would light a 30x12x13 tank??

Over a 30 inch tank you might need two, I think the spread is about 24 inches. Not positive though. 

zamboni200000

IM's are a little nicer but if it's your first tank you won't know the difference.... in which case the fluval evo 13.5 is still a very nice tank with better dimensions and much cheaper.  If cost is a factor, go fluval.

I agree with above, the Fluval Evo has better dimensions and a single light such as the AI Prime will do wonders. Try searching #fluvalevo on Instagram and you will see the how much success people can have with that combo.

As an FYI, the Fluval 13 was under $100 last BF, that’s a damn steal for that tank.

• Like 1

well after some thinking in to this and looking at the space I cant fit the IM2o  so i have decided on the Im25Lagoon.

but wow under a 100 for BF for the evo now that sounds nice. maybe I can get both?? haha

7 hours ago, devaji108 said:

well after some thinking in to this and looking at the space I cant fit the IM2o  so i have decided on the Im25Lagoon.

but wow under a 100 for BF for the evo now that sounds nice. maybe I can get both?? haha

And you can use a single AI Prime over the 25 lagoon, I believe @Clown79 does. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

yep that is the plan! I think it a better fit for my house and the lighting too. : D

that said I will want a little peninsula tank...I heard  the evos last year the were under $100 ...I hope I dont piss off the GF by getting one haha  we agreed on 2 tank limit.  

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I do use 1. No shadowing at all.

Nice thing is you can always add an additional Ai anytime if you want to.

• Like 3