Cultivated Reef

IM 14 or Fluval Evo 13.5?

sm32589g

Hello, I am m the w to the forums and new to nano tanks. I have co-operated an 80 gallon tank with my father back a few years ago. I have been looking at getting back into the hobby. Any recommendations on which AIO tank to go with? I like the rimless design and rear chambers of the IM but I like the lengthier dimensions for better aquascaping of the fluval 13.5. I'm trying to stay in that gallon range so not too interested in look at the IM 20. Any thoughts owners of either? 

1 minute ago, sm32589g said:

Hello, I am m the w to the forums and new to nano tanks. I have co-operated an 80 gallon tank with my father back a few years ago. I have been looking at getting back into the hobby. Any recommendations on which AIO tank to go with? I like the rimless design and rear chambers of the IM but I like the lengthier dimensions for better aquascaping of the fluval 13.5. I'm trying to stay in that gallon range so not too interested in look at the IM 20. Any thoughts owners of either? 

I just got into the hobby and so far I love my IM14 so much!

I have both Fluvals and IM.

I like both but IM's are really nice, thicker glass. It's hard to compare the 2.

It's like comparing a Ford to an Infinity.

I would decide based on what you like because the Fluval is not a bad tank and the Evo has a nice look. 

Price is a concern too but I know eventually I will want better lighting. A cover is necessary so if I get new lighting on the fluval I'll have to fashion something. The IM comes with a screen kit. 

1 hour ago, sm32589g said:

Price is a concern too but I know eventually I will want better lighting. A cover is necessary so if I get new lighting on the fluval I'll have to fashion something. The IM comes with a screen kit. 

The IM 14 doesn’t have a screen the other ones like the 10 and 20 long do so you would have to make your own

2 hours ago, sm32589g said:

You can make the same lids very easily and cheaper with window framing and mesh. The diy lids also allow more light in.

The one thing I hate is the mesh that IM makes their kids with. It does impede light.

If cost is a concern get the fluval. Upgrade the light when you need to as the light is fine for softies and lps. It's just not as controllable as other fixtures.

Make your own media basket or buy the intank one. You don't want to use the stock sponge media.

But a small powerhead like Hydor koralia and voila. You don't need a skimmer, reactors etc. those can be added later if you need them

• Like 2

If I decide to get the fluval I was going to use the intank chamber 1 with floss>chemipure>another media not sure yet and use the chamber 2 as a refugium once the tank cycled in. 

If I can find a buyer for my mp40 I might be able to get a nice light and/or an IM off the bat.

• Like 1

I like the Fluval better just because of the longer length that you mentioned.  The IM 14 dimension is too tall IMO.   I do NOT like the back chambers in the Fluval but if you get the inTank media basket, you will be fine.  I just DIY my own to save money.  But either one will be great.  I upgraded the return pump and there's no need for additional pump inside the display if you want that sleek look.  I also don't have a lid although one of my clownfish jumped out in the beginning.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I like the Fluval better just because of the longer length that you mentioned.  The IM 14 dimension is too tall IMO.   I do NOT like the back chambers in the Fluval but if you get the inTank media basket, you will be fine.  I just DIY my own to save money.  But either one will be great.  I upgraded the return pump and there's no need for additional pump inside the display if you want that sleek look.  I also don't have a lid although one of my clownfish jumped out in the beginning.  

I wouldn't mind the DIY basket but I like that the inTank one covers most of the slots so that it forces more direction. Not so sure their chamber 2 basket does the same even though they advertise it as such. I would DIY multiple baskets if I went IM as the chambers have better direction.

I agree that the IM is too tall. It forces more sand bed and I prefer the longer aquascape area. Your tank is one of the ones I was looking at to simulate.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, sm32589g said:

I wouldn't mind the DIY basket but I like that the inTank one covers most of the slots so that it forces more direction. Not so sure their chamber 2 basket does the same even though they advertise it as such. I would DIY multiple baskets if I went IM as the chambers have better direction.

I agree that the IM is too tall. It forces more sand bed and I prefer the longer aquascape area. Your tank is one of the ones I was looking at to simulate.

I also like the pedestal look of the Fluval more.  I removed the honeycomb from the Fluval but after having it for 2 years, I wish I didn't cuz the top of the water line gets dirty now and the honeycomb would have hid it =P.  

1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

I also like the pedestal look of the Fluval more.  I removed the honeycomb from the Fluval but after having it for 2 years, I wish I didn't cuz the top of the water line gets dirty now and the honeycomb would have hid it =P.  

Glad you mentioned this. I was considering razoring it off as you had done. I liked the clean look you went for. Also why I like the IM tank too bad it is too tall I may have to consider a 20 or the fluval. The IM's had crystal clear glass.

2 minutes ago, sm32589g said:

Glad you mentioned this. I was considering razoring it off as you had done. I liked the clean look you went for. Also why I like the IM tank too bad it is too tall I may have to consider a 20 or the fluval. The IM's had crystal clear glass.

The IM 20 peninsula has AWESOME dimensions.  I will definitely get that over the 14.  The problem is lighting the IM 20.  The normal AI Prime, Nanobox Tide, Kessil A160 may not be enough.  You will probably have to go with a longer light like the Current Marine Orbit Pro.  I seen builds using AI Prime over the IM 20.  It can work depending on your rockwork and if you plan to just keep lower light corals on the long end.  

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

The IM 20 peninsula has AWESOME dimensions.  I will definitely get that over the 14.  The problem is lighting the IM 20.  The normal AI Prime, Nanobox Tide, Kessil A160 may not be enough.  You will probably have to go with a longer light like the Current Marine Orbit Pro.  I seen builds using AI Prime over the IM 20.  It can work depending on your rockwork and if you plan to just keep lower light corals on the long end.  

I use an Ai Prime on the 25g lagoon and it completely lights the whole tank. It's not even at 100%.

I also used this light on my 15g which was the same dimensions of the IM 20g display area.

AI Prime strongest par is within 18x18 but it goes up to 24x24

If it is a close call, take into consideration:

filtration options, accessories, ease of maintenance, lighting options and if cost is an issue, cost of add-ons to make it safe for fish and functionality. Like everything else, it’s a personal decision. 

Either way, have fun and good luck. 

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I use an Ai Prime on the 25g lagoon and it completely lights the whole tank. It's not even at 100%.

I also used this light on my 15g which was the same dimensions of the IM 20g display area.

AI Prime strongest par is within 18x18 but it goes up to 24x24

hmmm, what's the dimension of the IM 20 display area?  The tank is 12" x 30" x 13".  I would think 30" is way too long for the AI Prime.  You got me thinking about upgrading my Fluval 13 to the IM 20 now because I really like the longer length.  

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

hmmm, what's the dimension of the IM 20 display area?  The tank is 12" x 30" x 13".  I would think 30" is way too long for the AI Prime.  You got me thinking about upgrading my Fluval 13 to the IM 20 now because I really like the longer length.  

30" is too long for 1 Prime unless you intentionally wanted shadowed areas for certain nps

the IM 20 is only 24x13x15

My 15g was 24 x13 x13 

When I was upgrading I thought of going to the 20 but gaining 2" wasn't really worth the $$$ so I went with the lagoon which I love.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:51 AM, ninjamyst said:

I love my IM 20 Peninsula. The tank is probably about 27" long instead of the 30" when taking into account the back compartment. I honestly love the tank. I'm not too sure how well an AI Prime will work on it as I have used a Current USA Orbit IC and now a Radion XR30 G4 Pro which both have great coverage on the tank. I say upgrade, worst case you get another AI Prime!

• Like 1