SaltCritters.com

Brown Hair Algae

Jono

It's not green...it's brown. Everything I have read seems to indicate you take care of it the same way you take care of green hair algae. I have had low phosphates  (0.0-0.02) for the past 2 weeks (and really before that, but I have been checking a lot more in the past 2 weeks). All other levels are right in check with what they should be. 

I realize that sometimes "stuff just happens". I'm trying to take a simple approach the the reef keeping thing, so I don't want to just go adding GFO and phosguard and all that garbage that people usually suggest, especially since my phosphate is fine. If those really are the best options, great! But trying to K.I.S.S. 

Any suggestions? 

Finding the cause and correcting it will prevent its return but gha is an aggressive algae so most take aggressive action to get rid of it because it spreads and fast.

Your phos test won't be accurate as the gha is using up the nutrients.

For me, finding the cause, correcting, adding a small amount of phosguard and peroxide treatment was the best.

The one all natural method is removing the rocks, scrubbing the gha off, rinse in sw and then replace to tank.

Trying to remove it in tank can be a slower process and you want to ensure that all floating pieces are siphoned out or it will spread.

Certain cuc can help too 

1 hour ago, Jono said:

That makes sense about the phos tests. 

I'll try some phosguard and research some peroxide treatment. 

There are a lot of methods for removal.

Manual removal

Fluconazole

Vibrant

Peroxide

Phosguard

Emerald crabs

Urchins

But the key is finding what is the cause.

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

But the key is finding what is the cause.

Yeah I guess that's where I'm stumped. I guess It's all relative to what I think is "a lot" but I don't feed very much at all. 

52 minutes ago, Jono said:

Yeah I guess that's where I'm stumped. I guess It's all relative to what I think is "a lot" but I don't feed very much at all. 

It can be anything from something in

maintenance routine(something not being done to not done often enough) like vacuuming sand, Turkey basting rocks etc

Filtration - media not being changed often enough, sponges being used, bioballs, etc.

Filters/back chambers not being cleaned

Pumps not being cleaned

Dosing products(vitamins, aminos etc)

Food sources and over feeding