Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just another Nuvo 10: Zoa advice requested

wallyman424

Well theres good news and theres bad news.

Good news, everything is growing great. The hammer coral is getting HUGE. Clownfish are happy. Skunk cleaner is a pig. Zoas are multiplying. Coraline is spreading.

Bad news is that my tangaroa goby up and died out of nowhere today. He's been completely fine since I've had him. He has 2 caves that he lives in and has been eating fine. He didnt have any weird spots or bumps to indicate disease, so I really don't know what to think. My wife just found him laying dead in the sand this evening. RIP little guy.

Having trouble uploading pictures. Will post one when I am able.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, wallyman424 said:

Well theres good news and theres bad news.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031bimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

Good news, everything is growing great. The hammer coral is getting HUGE. Clownfish are happy. Skunk cleaner is a pig. Zoas are multiplying. Coraline is spreading.

Bad news is that my tangaroa goby up and died out of nowhere today. He's been completely fine since I've had him. He has 2 caves that he lives in and has been eating fine. He didnt have any weird spots or bumps to indicate disease, so I really don't know what to think. My wife just found him laying dead in the sand this evening. RIP little guy.

Having trouble uploading pictures. Will post one when I am able.

Tank looks great, very sorry about your fish. 😞

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Looks great! Those are my fav clownfish besides Picasso's. Sorry about the goby 😞 Where did you get the little sticky things for the zip strips?

Home Depot in the wiring section

• Like 1

Need help asap. 

One of my clowns died out of the blue as well. The remaining clown has a whitish film over him and filmy strands coming off his fins. Is there anything I can do? 

IMG_20181110_175659.jpg

letskeepcoolpeeps

Yea slowly drop your salinity to 1.010 to kill it in the DisplayTank  (4 weeks minimum) and give him 3 daily 30-45 minute baths in a small container with heavy concentration of Formalin/Malachite green product like Kordon Ich Plus and/or Seachem Paraguard.

Hyposalinity obviously not safe for coral/invertabretes.  Your reef stuff will need to go to QT.

OR the opposite..

Put clownfish in QuarantineTank with 1.010 salinity for 4 weeks and remove all scaled fish from DisplayTank.  Ich will die without fish host.

I'm going to do a freshwater dip tonight as I don't have the meds needed. I have a bad feeling he won't make it though. The other guys died so quickly without any signs of stress or disease at all.

letskeepcoolpeeps

With the dip meds and hyposalinity they can definitely turn it around.   Not sure about freshwater dip but my understanding is it works as well as hyposalinity for the fish.  The problem is that it doesn't kill the parasite in the tank.

To me it looks like brooklynella? I know the fw dip doesn't cure it, but it's the only option I have for tonight. I'll try and scrounge together a qt hyposalinity tank for the clown tomorrow if he lasts the night.

How's this for a plan. I do a fw dip tonight. Tomorrow am if he's still alive I go get a cheapo tank and meds from my lfs. I put 1.010 salinity water in there and a bag of purigen from my dt. This should be ok right? Bc the disease shouldn't be able to live in 1.010? I should be able to let the clown live solo in there until cured.

If I leave my dt without fish for 6-7 weeks should that be enough to eradicate the disease without hyposalinity or meds?

Looks like brook, maybe what got your goby 😞

Hypo does not cure brook so don't bother with it. You don't want to do hypo + meds anyways. 

You need formaldehyde. 

5 minutes ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

Nah Kordon Ich Plus is better.

Not familiar with it but shows to have 11.52% formalin which isn't enough. The ones i posted have 37%. 

i would go with backed up data on this. I linked the articles, the OP can do what he wants, honestly he will probably use whatever he can find because I doubt that fish will make it if something needs to be purchase online. 

Sadly with how sick this fish looks, I doubt he will make it even with treatment. Perhaps a FW bath can buy him some time.

letskeepcoolpeeps
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Not familiar with it but shows to have 11.52% formalin which isn't enough. The ones i posted have 37%. 

i would go with backed up data on this. I linked the articles, the OP can do what he wants, honestly he will probably use whatever he can find because I doubt that fish will make it if something needs to be purchase online. 

It has plenty of formalin.   You don't know what you're talking about.  His fish has ich and you told him not to go hyposalinity because it *may not* cure brook even though you don't know exactly what it is.  I wouldn't take your advice considering the data recommends to do hyposalinity on parasitic fish. 

1 minute ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

It has plenty of formalin.   You don't know what you're talking about.  His fish has ich and you told him not to go hyposalinity because it *may not* cure brook.  I wouldn't take your advice considering the data recommends to do hyposalinity on parasitic fish. 

His fish does not have ich, it has brook. The articles I linked show hypo does not treat brook. 

• Like 3

Either way, you are wrong.  Definitely needs hyposalinity dip.

It needs a FRESHWATER DIP, but it does not need a hypo QT tank. Hypo and FW are not the same. 

letskeepcoolpeeps
Just now, Tamberav said:

It needs a FRESHWATER DIP, but it does not need a hypo QT tank. Hypo and FW are not the same. 

Yes they are the same.  Hypo is just the long term version of the freshwater dip.

Yes they are the same.  Hypo is just the long term version of the freshwater dip.

Wrong, hypo has 1.008 and FW his 0. One has a lower salt content. one has zero salt. FW treats brook, Hypo does not. The disease can clearly survive at hypo but not FW. 

Hypo works for ich, not brook. Brook will survive at hypo. It is all in the articles I linked. 

• Like 1
letskeepcoolpeeps
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Wrong, hypo has 1.008 and FW his 0. One has a lower salt content. one does not. FW treats brook, Hypo does not. The disease can clearly survive at hypo but not FW. 

Wrong.    Hypo is a long term version.  FW  dip is short term version.  They ultimately do the same thing.   

Hyposalinity can only help and you're very irresponsible by not telling him to cover all his bases.  Bad advice!

• wallyman424 changed the title to Just another Nuvo 10: Zoa advice requested