Coral Vue Hydros

Just another Nuvo 10: Zoa advice requested

wallyman424

4 minutes ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

Wrong.    Hypo is a long term version.  FW  dip is short term version.  They ultimately do the same thing.   

Hyposalinity can only help and you're very irresponsible by not telling him to cover all his bases.  Bad advice!

B) Hyposalinity
Hyposalinty is often quoted as a good and safe way for treating Brooklynella hostilis and Uronema marinum. Unfortunately there are no scientific papers backing this statement up and in the authors’ experience hyposalinity, like copper, is hugely overrated in the management of these parasite. So if you DON’T want to cure your outbreak of Brooklynella then by all means use hyposalinity therapy. 

If you want to make stuff up, fine. But putting the fish threw formalin and then the stress of hypo which doesn't help is ridiculous.

FW dips is what I would do till formalin 37% arrives. Hopefully the OP will follow the articles I linked.

letskeepcoolpeeps
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

B) Hyposalinity
Hyposalinty is often quoted as a good and safe way for treating Brooklynella hostilis and Uronema marinum. Unfortunately there are no scientific papers backing this statement up and in the authors’ experience hyposalinity, like copper, is hugely overrated in the management of these parasite. So if you DON’T want to cure your outbreak of Brooklynella then by all means use hyposalinity therapy. 

If you want to make stuff up, fine. But putting the fish threw formalin and then the stress of hypo which doesn't help is ridiculous.

FW dips is what I would do till formalin 37% arrives. Hopefully the OP will follow the articles I linked.

You have a reading comprehension problem and constantly contradict yourself.  I said to do Formalin dips in my first post.  Then you said do NOT use meds because it stresses them out.  Now you're saying bump up to 37% formalin instead?

I never said put formalin in the Display tank.  I said 30 minute dips.  You need to go re read the posts. 

28 minutes ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

You have a reading comprehension problem and constantly contradict yourself.  I said to do Formalin dips in my first post.  Then you said do NOT use meds because it stresses them out.  Now you're saying bump up to 37% formalin instead?

I never said put formalin in the Display tank.  I said 30 minute dips.  You need to go re read the posts. 

Dude, just chill....

Tamberav is just trying to help but you just feel like laying down your “knowledge” for the sake of arguing it seems.

Sheesh...🙄

I’m sure you can communicate your thoughts in a more civilized manner...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant do not do meds congruent with hypo-salinity. Some medications become lethal in hypo and I am not familiar if formalin is safe to use with hypo and since hypo is not an effective treatment, it should not be experimented with. 

I don't want to argue, there are many articles on treatment for this disease that go into much greater depth than can be summed up in this thread.

Goodluck OP!

• Like 1

Update:

Luckily my LFS was open till 8. The guy there breeds clowns, so I decided to go on his recommendation which is very much in line with what you guys had recommended. 

Here's what I did:

- 3 minute fw dip

- set up a 2.5 gallon hospital tank with quick cure medicated at the same SG as my DT. I had some purigen in my dt that I put in the hospital tank to add some nitrifying bacteria. 

He thinks it's Brook and the chances of him pulling through are slim. 

Now for more questions:

- how often do I treat with quick cure? With wc?

- how often do I water change and what percent?

- how long do I treat the hospital tank for?

I never quarantined before, and never had issues. I think I've firmly moved into the quarantine always camp.

IMG_20181110_200847.thumb.jpg.457b482b53d96044c43a3aa8f4ad99d2.jpgIMG_20181110_201518.thumb.jpg.11f3e61f64b66765b67553ca369c12e9.jpg

• Like 2

Damn man this really sucks hard. That was probably the coolest looking pair of clowns I've ever seen. I just lost a clown to carpet surfing a couple days ago. Sorry and good luck

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, wallyman424 said:

Update:

Luckily my LFS was open till 8. The guy there breeds clowns, so I decided to go on his recommendation which is very much in line with what you guys had recommended. 

Here's what I did:

- 3 minute fw dip

- set up a 2.5 gallon hospital tank with quick cure medicated at the same SG as my DT. I had some purigen in my dt that I put in the hospital tank to add some nitrifying bacteria. 

He thinks it's Brook and the chances of him pulling through are slim. 

Now for more questions:

- how often do I treat with quick cure? With wc?

- how often do I water change and what percent?

- how long do I treat the hospital tank for?

I never quarantined before, and never had issues. I think I've firmly moved into the quarantine always camp.

IMG_20181110_200847.thumb.jpg.457b482b53d96044c43a3aa8f4ad99d2.jpgIMG_20181110_201518.thumb.jpg.11f3e61f64b66765b67553ca369c12e9.jpg

This article says how to treat: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/

8 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Damn man this really sucks hard. That was probably the coolest looking pair of clowns I've ever seen. I just lost a clown to carpet surfing a couple days ago. Sorry and good luck

I agree.. super amazing fish. I have seen something similar before but kind of forgot about them... called frostbite sub zero clownfish. 

I didn't want clowns in my 10g but would totally buy a fish if I saw one that looked like this:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/newest-addition-frostbite-subzero-clowns-bonded-pair.302878/

letskeepcoolpeeps

My clownfish just had parasites this week.  I bought them from the store and 2 days later blew up with clownfish disease.   They weren't eating for 3 days and were almost dead. Fast forward to today and they are healthy as hell, doing mating rituals, and swimming around/eating.  Trust me, I know what I'm doing.  But it looks like you don't want my advice so I'll just save my own clownfish. Good luck with yours.

12 minutes ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

My clownfish just had parasites this week.  I bought them from the store and 2 days later blew up with clownfish disease.   They weren't eating for 3 days and were almost dead. Fast forward to today and they are healthy as hell, doing mating rituals, and swimming around/eating.  Trust me, I know what I'm doing.  But it looks like you don't want my advice so I'll just save my own clownfish. Good luck with yours.

Hey please don't take offense. I'm sure there are multiple ways to treat these things. I had to make a decision on what to do and I took the advice from a guy who was standing in front of me. 

I don't think it'll matter though, he's looking pretty rough and laying at the bottom of the Qt. 

• Sad 1
40 minutes ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

You've insulted a pretty respected member of this forum (Tamberav) who actually contributes to this forum and appears to have since 2008. You've embarrassed yourself. Don't double down with unsubstantiated claims please

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
letskeepcoolpeeps
8 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

You've insulted a pretty respected member of this forum (Tamberav) who actually contributes to this forum and appears to have since 2008. You've embarrassed yourself. Don't double down with unsubstantiated claims please

He/She gives bad advice and you give none.  You should both be embarrassed.  I saved both my clownfish.  His is dying.  Looks like I was right and Tamberav was wrong. 

I figured out how to cure my clowns on my own accord.  I'm just glad I didn't come here for help or they would have gone the way of wally's fish.

Sorry to report the little guy didnt make it. It blows my mind how quickly brooklynella can take over. These fish had no symptoms yesterday at noon when I fed them. One died around 5-6pm and the other last night in the hospital tank.

To use this as a learning experience for myself, I will always be quarantining fish for 4 weeks and doing prophylactic treatments to the QT.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate or arguing with anyone, so please just let it go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • wallyman424 changed the title to Just another Nuvo 10: Brooklynella Blows...
35 minutes ago, wallyman424 said:

Sorry to report the little guy didnt make it. It blows my mind how quickly brooklynella can take over. These fish had no symptoms yesterday at noon when I fed them. One died around 5-6pmimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b and the other last night in the hospital tank.

To use this as a learning experience for myself, I will always be quarantining fish for 4 weeks and doing prophylactic treatments to the QT.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate or arguing with anyone, so please just let it go.

I'm very sorry you lost your fish. They were beautiful. Brook hits quickly and I've had clownfish that have been infested with the disease before and lost them. They looked exactly like yours before passing, symptoms-wise. Tamberav actually offered sound advice, but sometimes the fish is too far gone to be saved. Might I suggest a longer fallow period of 8 weeks instead of 4 for your DT?

8 weeks is usually the staple for letting parasites such as Ich and Brook die off on their own. As long as you don't add any new fish to the DT for the next 2 months, it should be alright. Of course, it is better to QT any/all fish you want to introduce to the tank beforehand, as you've suggested. Just refrain from adding anything to the DT for the time being. You might also want to try out other stores/sources to get your fish - if you're from the US, you can purchase fish online via DD or LA. DD has a quarantine-period, if I'm not mistaken.

Wish you all the best. If you have any questions, just ask - the forum is actually a wealth of information from various experienced hobbyists. Always ask and read and research before attempting anything, especially if you're unsure about something. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I'm very sorry you lost your fish. They were beautiful. Brook hits quickly and I've had clownfish that have been infested with the disease before and lost them. They looked exactly like yours before passing, symptoms-wise. Tamberav actually offered sound advice, but sometimes the fish is too far gone to be saved. Might I suggest a longer fallow period of 8 weeks instead of 4 for your DT?

8 weeks is usually the staple for letting parasites such as Ich and Brook die off on their own. As long as you don't add any new fish to the DT for the next 2 months, it should be alright. Of course, it is better to QT any/all fish you want to introduce to the tank beforehand, as you've suggested. Just refrain from adding anything to the DT for the time being. You might also want to try out other stores/sources to get your fish - if you're from the US, you can purchase fish online via DD or LA. DD has a quarantine-period, if I'm not mistaken.

Wish you all the best. If you have any questions, just ask - the forum is actually a wealth of information from various experienced hobbyists. Always ask and read and research before attempting anything, especially if you're unsure about something. 

I'm definitely leaving the DT fallow for 8 weeks. I'm going to use 4 weeks as my quarantine length for new fish. Thanks!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

He/She gives bad advice and you give none.  You should both be embarrassed.  I saved both my clownfish.  His is dying.  Looks like I was right and Tamberav was wrong. 

I figured out how to cure my clowns on my own accord.  I'm just glad I didn't come here for help or they would have gone the way of wally's fish.

Someone isn't living up to their screenname. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
On 11/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

It has plenty of formalin.   You don't know what you're talking about.  His fish has ich and you told him not to go hyposalinity because it *may not* cure brook even though you don't know exactly what it is.  I wouldn't take your advice considering the data recommends to do hyposalinity on parasitic fish. 

Ich is not brook. Or velvet. Or anything else but ich. 

Freshwater dip is not the same as hyposalinity tank, and one should not treat with hypo in the dt, good practice is to remove fish to quarantine and let dt go fallow at least 8 weeks. 

I don't know how long you've been reefing, but I'm beginning to think my husband has more saltwater experience than you even though he has a betta. 

Wally, I'm so sorry about your fish. Brook and velvet hit hard and fast and sometimes nothing you do works. You tried! 

I recently found an article about treating, I think it was velvet, where the author described his experience that freshwater dips alone are inadequate. I'll try to find it again. He found that dips merely reduced parasite load temporarily and were not curative. 

• Like 4

So sorry to hear about your loss.

It truly sucks and most of us have gone through it at one time or another, so we know exactly what you have gone through.

Both brook and velvet are fast hitting parasites and often by the time we see the symptoms, it's too late.

You tried your best.

Brook, ich, and velvet all have a fallow period of 8 weeks.

• Like 4

Thanks you guys. I'm still shocked about how quickly it all happened. Literally at noon that day I fed them and there were no signs of disease at all. At 6 pm one was dead and the other was severely affected by  Brook. 

I'm sure this will be controversial but how do you guys feel about doing a prophylactic treatment with mardel qc during the quarantine process for new fish? I was thinking about doing a 3 day treatment of the quarantine tank after I was sure the fish had been eating and doing well in there. I really want to minimize the risk of this happening again.

• Like 1

I just observe but don't treat for anything without knowing what I am treating. Formalin is carcigenic and toxic. 

The exception is prazipro.... everything gets prazipro.

Chloroquine phosphate is pretty gentle on fish if you could source some of that. 

Some people use copper which will treat other diseases but not Brook.

And yeah it is insane and shocking how Brook kills in hours. I can understand why you would want to treat everything in QT. I got my clowns directly from a breeder instead of a LFS which I felt was the safest route.

• Like 1
  • wallyman424 changed the title to Just another Nuvo 10: Zoa advice requested