Cultivated Reef

deetu

Hi all, I am so excited!!
I am starting up a tank again after 6 years.  Mawahaha!! 

My last tank, (20 gallon x-high with a 10 gallon fuge) had live rock that 3 plants popped out of and grew like crazy without me doing anything special (big mistake letting that rock go but we were moving and Hurricane Sandy hit at same time so everything live went to pet store in next town that had power) Had seahorses first (my Avatar was my little girl), when I lost them, I had a Picasso Clown, Royal Gramma, Yellow Clown Goby and a Firefish (that committed suicide). Of course with an excellent clean up crew (the peppermint shrimp got big enough to eat lol)

After a lot of thought, I believed I would be getting the Fluval Evo 13.5. It was the best size for a shelf/stand I have in my kitchen (kitchen/dining/living...open floor plan). My husband only agreed to a new tank because I said it would not flood (old tank protein skimmer hung outside the fuge) and will be covered so not bad salt creep (old fuge was on metal stand and totally open, not in a closed cabinet).
But then I walked into Petco and saw that the 20 gallon high had the perfect footprint for that shelf. 
Woo hoo!

It will be FOWLR with macros.  I am planning on building an in tank filter (display will be 12x18x16) and have dug back into the stuff I was going to sell (since I thought I was downsizing with a complete tank). I have to figure which of the three pumps will work best... or if any of them will work for that matter. Pondmaster Mag 7 (probably too big), Rio 1100 (taken off protein skimmer but probably best), Maxi Jet 600 (probably too small). I have a Current Satellite 12" 18 watt with moon light I bought at closeout before move (brand new in the box with bulb, not LED).

Going to mix 10 lbs live natural and 8 lbs reef sand (like that natural look).  Looking into getting some live and dry rock (wish had good stores like where used to live. Place people recommended was a little scarey) and thinking of starting with the live water (still thinking on that one)  I actually live close to the ocean and I'm surprised my husband hasn't asked why I would need to make my own water with the ocean right there. 

There is so much I have forgotten and new things that have come out in the last 6 years, so please be patient with questions.  I have been reading and searching constantly 😉
First question...  I plan to buy R/O water from Walmart but the water here is very acidic.  What kind of treatment should I get to raise the ph when mixing water?

Thank you and happy to be here!  Looking forward to sharing

20180914_130851.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Welcome back to the hobby

To answer your question regarding water.

Most will advise not buying RO water from the machines. It's not RO/DI. It's good to drink but only 1 step above using tap water in your tank.

It still has nasty stuff in it. 

The machine may also not have their filters changed often enough.

Using distilled is the better option as it's pure water or buying an ro/di unit to make your own.

Using any ph buffers is not advised, it messes with other parameters like alkalinity. Generally a lot of us advise on not chasing ph pr trying to alter it with buffers.

As for using sea water. Unless its filtered sea water you may be adding pollutants to your rank as well as other unwanted things.

Are you building your own all in one tank? I use an maxijet 600 in my 10g Aio so in a 20g I think it will be too weak too.

• Like 2

Thanks Clown

Yeah, I thought about that with Walmart so good that someone agrees.  Distilled it is until get RO/DI

Great on the buffer.

The live salt water was the boxed from Nature's Ocean.  Expensive and was doable when getting the Evo.

I was surprised to read that you can use ocean but should go out farther from beach then have to strain, bleach, agitate, unbleach... 

Yes, building and waiting on the black acrylic to come.   I wanted to build the whole tank but my husband didn't have confidence so was best to not.  That's why I'm so happy about this 20 high.

And it begins!

Was visiting family in Clifton so just had to go to Absolutely Fish.  I used to take my son there to see the fish when he was little.  I have read posts in past about it being expensive and not good salespeople but it was a great visit and comparable. For fish prices, the Royal Gramma was equal or cheaper then on line places people use.  And they had many different horticulture clowns! Colors, patterns... had to walk away so didn't see one I wanted yet.

So, I picked a nice live rock, 2.5 pounds (isn't it purty?) Live rock got cheaper the more pounds you buy but was too much for me to put all live in. I brought the 5 gallon bucket with me and she covered the rock with water to take home.

Then I got my dry rock... had the salesgirl holding the rock as I asked, "okay, which rock is lighter?" until I got two nice "holy rocks" of good size.   I was able to pick the dry rock I wanted for $3 a pound, 7.5 pounds (was actually surprised my husband didn't complain that he was paying for rocks lol) 

I asked another salesman if he had any macro and he said he had some red graciliaria.  Couldn't help myself so in the bucket it waits.... wish I asked for half portion but it didn't look that big in container.  And there is little bit of chaeto and maybe grape in with it too... will watch that grape.

Oh, oh, gotta go, my black acrylic just came!

20180918_101042.jpg

3 minutes ago, deetu said:

And it begins!

Was visiting family in Clifton so just had to go to Absolutely Fish.  I used to take my son there to see the fish when he was little.  I have read posts in past about it being expensive and not good salespeople but it was a great visit and comparable. For fish prices, the Royal Gramma was equal or cheaper then on line places people use.  And they had many different horticulture clowns! Colors, patterns... had to walk away so didn't see one I wanted yet.

So, I picked a nice live rock, 2.5 pounds (isn't it purty?) Live rock got cheaper the more pounds you buy but was too much for me to put all live in. I brought the 5 gallon bucket with me and she covered the rock with water to take home.

Then I got my dry rock... had the salesgirl holding the rock as I asked, "okay, which rock is lighter?" until I got two nice "holy rocks" of good size.   I was able to pick the dry rock I wanted for $3 a pound, 7.5 pounds (was actually surprised my husband didn't complain that he was paying for rocks lol) 

I asked another salesman if he had any macro and he said he had some red graciliaria.  Couldn't help myself so in the bucket it waits.... wish I asked for half portion but it didn't look that big in container.  And there is little bit of chaeto and maybe grape in with it too... will watch that grape.

Oh, oh, gotta go, my black acrylic just came!

20180918_101042.jpg

Generally "holy rock" refers top Texas holy rock, which is too dense for a reef aquarium.  

I'm sorry, I called it "holy rock" because it had a lot of holes in it lol  Didn't realize there was an actual rock named that.  Not sure what rock it really is but I wanted more bacteria spots and lighter rocks, that is why I picked this rock.

This will be a FOWLR and macro tank, not reef (not many sites for that, why I'm here) but thank you so much for your advice

20180918_123913.jpg

15 minutes ago, deetu said:

I'm sorry, I called it "holy rock" because it had a lot of holes in it lol  Didn't realize there was an actual rock named that.  Not sure what rock it really is but I wanted more bacteria spots and lighter rocks, that is why I picked this rock.

This will be a FOWLR and macro tank, not reef (not many sites for that, why I'm here) but thank you so much for your advice

20180918_123913.jpg

That stuff looks fine.  There is rock actually referred to as holy rock, but it is extremely dense and more for cichlid tanks.  See below:

image.png.a04b6bd2f1180739107902ab3600bb32.png

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, specore said:

That stuff looks fine.  There is rock actually referred to as holy rock, but it is extremely dense and more for cichlid tanks.  See below:

image.png.a04b6bd2f1180739107902ab3600bb32.png

Taking me back to the good old cichlid days! Actually have a piece of that rock in my 29 gallon cichlid tank. Literally looks the exact same as the pice in that picture. Crazy how things come full circle.

• Like 1

Acrylic came but measuring and thinking on it (using cardboard pieces to see) to make sure it is right.  It's a little harder to figure out since it is deeper. Think I will put rubble in bottom...

Protein skimmer came but waiting on new return pump. (The Rio just didn't fit in the chamber with it's thick wire).

Digital thermometers and test kit (nitrate #1 bottle leaked a little)

Live sand came but they kept sending Reef Sand and not the Reef Substrate that I was going to mix with the sand. They gave me a refund. (Chewy.com, love that place)

Do you know I can't find a small piece of egg crate?  An electrical supply shop said they went to LEDs.  I really don't want to spend $15 on a full sheet that I will probably never use for anything else. (Home Depot didn't have broken piece)

Acrylic top cut.  I'll be adding a handle on one side to be able to slide it toward the filter to feed.

The black acrylic slits are cut.  Drilled 1/4" holes first then skill sawed up the line to meet it.  Came out good.

Waiting on pump (Tuesday) to make sure baffles are right.

The filter is so deep that I'm going to have the first two chambers open on the bottom for rock rubble space since it will be fish only tank with the macro.

Still trying to figure out around that lip of the black trim for the media...

20180923_124932.jpg

Pump came along with 10 more pounds of rock (just didn't look full enough with what I got because tank is so high)
Picked up 20 one gallon jugs of distilled water from Walmart. Funny thing was, check out lady didn't even blink on that. I asked her if she was even a little curious lol
Still a little stuck on how I am going to do the baffles (may stick another one in between skimmer and return). Stopped at Lowes and they had a couple scrap pieces of .118 acrylic. When I asked the guy how much, he said he couldn't sell it to me.... then smiled and said I could have it. They were perfect size!
I just keep debating on gluing or silicone. I'm not sure it will go in easy if I glue because of the rim on the tank...

What do you all think?  This look good?

20180926_214622.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, so I've been busy!

Filter is set up and done! 

I was afraid the pump might be too strong so I made it to diffuse like I had for my seahorses.  It will be easier on the macro and if you notice, my heater is behind (couldn't fit in the filter area).  There are several holes in the diffuser that will be pointing in the direction of that corner... right now they are facing us for the picture. I'll be painting it black to blend in.

Excited to put the sand, rocks and water in... didn't realize it is so hard to seascape, especially since the live rock is still in the bucket lol  (Debating on breaking that one into couple pieces)

And the macro has been growing in there too

Quick question... since there is live sand, a 4.5 pound live rock and the 5 gallons of water it has been in for the past month going into the tank, do you think there will still be a cycle?

20181003_174032.jpg

20181003_120459.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

So those rocks!!! 

I had a beautiful seascape made, filled tank with sand, then water and realized all the rock was forward with all the space in the back!  So silly me tried to push it back.  Yeah, didn't work. 

Took top rocks out and tried to move middle bottom one but still didn't work... all it did was kick up the sand so took all out and waited till this morning for sand to settle to try again.

Put three bottom foundation rocks in cardboard box to check placement... looked good, went in right... moved little here and there... waited for sand to settle. 

Put on next level, mixed in pieces of live rock, finished and it looked amazing... until I realized the nice looking part of the bridge rock was facing the back! So started over again. 

My idea of having the rocks higher on the right changed and my artist eye wants the hole off center but l think it looks good.  Stupid rocks

DIY filter seems to be working great.  Second set of sponge filters are in there for emergency and bio.  Thought I had a single holder but have two doubles.  Don't know how I did that.  shrugging

Sponge in display is coming out after the cycle. 

Which I need to ask...

I used 4.5 pounds of live rock and 20 lbs live sand. The live rock went right into the bucket of water from the pet store so no die off. The sponge filter was in the bucket with the live rock and macro for the 2 weeks while getting tank ready. And the plant had light and was growing in the bucket.  I also put the 5 gallons of water it all came in into the tank...

So, considering all this, how long should the cycle be? 

20181007_190323.jpg

20181007_190331.jpg

• Like 1

I was so excited seeing this little guy.  I found myself talking to it like Dory did to Squishy... what a cute little itty bitty guy you are... But then I looked up good and bad hitchhikers...  Well, now the little booger is hiding (he moved fast) and I haven't seen him since.  I think he's laughing at me lol

20181009_185152.jpg

• Like 2

First fish added...  Meet Mocha and Benny

There is only one clown, the other is his reflection

The goby is "hiding" in the macro... lower right

It is so hard to wait to add more fish lol

20181016_153423.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

More fish and couple more snails.  They only had two Nassarius and they were tiny and they forgot to put the hermit crabs in the bag so still don't have a  good clean up crew.

So now I have Mocha and Chino clowns, two firefish and Benny the goby.

421067046_20181104_202939_3330072.jpg

20181104_204756.jpg

• Like 3

Picture of filter finished.  It is working great although I wish I had made the return 1/4 inch lower... The return pump makes a sound when the water level is right up to the top of it.  I put the plug in, which helps a bit.

There was apparently a brittle star mixed in the live rock.  Really little at the moment.  I hope there are no problems with it in future.  Like the Astria Star, I can't find it anymore either.

720713775_20181101_171657_3232123_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Mini brittle stars are supposed to be great detrivores. They're quite cryptic, so you won't see much of them. They can also reproduce asexually. Unless it's a baby green death brittle star, you should be just fine.

23 hours ago, deetu said:

Picture of filter finished.  It is working great although I wish I had made the return 1/4 inch lower... The return pump makes a sound when the water level is right up to the top of it.  I put the plug in, which helps a bit.

There was apparently a brittle star mixed in the live rock.  Really little at the moment.  I hope there are no problems with it in future.  Like the Astria Star, I can't find it anymore either.

720713775_20181101_171657_3232123_resized.jpg

Baby brittle should be fine. Since you won't have coral, the asterina will probably be ok, I hope. Some have no problems with them but they make me nervous around my corals lol. For a good macro source, check out Gulf Coast Ecosystems at www.live-plants.com. Stock is low right now but they have good selection and generous portions.