Five.five-six

fluconazole, vibrant and chemiclean all at once?

J/K, not all at once but I have a real nutrient issue.  Someone in my house has a habbit of feeding the fish every time they look hungry which is always.  It hit critical mass about 2 months ago and my SPS tank started looking more like an alage farm. I started dosing vingar to bring down the nitrate (went from over 50PPM to20ppm Salifert)  and Po4 read 0 Salifert. 

I had been dong manual removal of GHA and turf alage but it was takeing 2 hrs a shot once or twice a week and I just want to enjoy my fish tank. Monday I gave up and hit the tank with 300mg of fluconazole.   I cut back on vingar to avoid a cyano outbreak with the extra nutrients from no skimming and alage dieoff

what has me conserned is that I’m finding small patches of green bubble alage under where the filimentious alagies were and some patches of beautiful burgundy Cyanobacteria.  

Now I’m considering vibrant once the fluconazole is done to deal with the bubble alage.  Of course, that will be the end of the chaeto in my fuge. 

I don’t mind doing some work and spending some money but I just want to enjoy looking at my fist tank 😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Five.five-six said:

J/K, not all at once but I have a real nutrient issue.  Someone in my house has a habbit of feeding the fish every time they look hungry which is always.  It hit critical mass about 2 months ago and my SPS tank started looking more like an alage farm. I started dosing vingar to bring down the nitrate (went from over 50PPM to20ppm Salifert)  and Po4 read 0 Salifert. 

I had been dong manual removal of GHA and turf alage but it was takeing 2 hrs a shot once or twice a week and I just want to enjoy my fish tank. Monday I gave up and hit the tank with 300mg of fluconazole.   I cut back on vingar to avoid a cyano outbreak with the extra nutrients from no skimming and alage dieoff

what has me conserned is that I’m finding small patches of green bubble alage under where the filimentious alagies were and some patches of beautiful burgundy Cyanobacteria.  

Now I’m considering vibrant once the fluconazole is done to deal with the bubble alage.  Of course, that will be the end of the chaeto in my fuge. 

I don’t mind doing some work and spending some money but I just want to enjoy looking at my fist tank 😞 

Unless the cause is corrected all the removal methods are not going to work long term.

If someone is over feeding- hide the food from them. Unless they will listen to you, I see no other way to stop it.

Doing too much(chemically) can create issues as well.

Some products have a reputation of causing cyano. I believe Vibrant is one of them.

Personally the only thing I have ever done to get rid gha was peroxide dosing and it worked like a charm. But to prevent it from returning I had to find the cause.

It took some time but turned out to be my dosing of amino and vitamins.

If your rocks are covered it's remove the rocks. Scrub them with a toothbrush, rinse in sw. Do a short peroxide dip, rinse in sw and return to tank. This is the fastest way to get rid of the gha and picking off the bubble algae. It also prevents the spread of gha.

Bubble algae can be picked off the rocks

• Like 1

Fluconazole and vibrant did diddily squat for me. Chemiclean works awesome for cyano and cyano only. Make sure to take cup off skimmer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Five.five-six said:

having the same issues in my tank. Nasty mix of bryopsis, GHA/turf alagae, cyano on top, and bubble algae hidden underneath. Following along for progress. Good luck

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Floundering_Around said:

having the same issues in my tank. Nasty mix of bryopsis, GHA/turf alagae, cyano on top, and bubble algae hidden underneath. Following along for progress. Good luck

From what I understand, the bryopsys gets it’s N from sources other than nitrate.  You can’t beat it with nutreant reduction and your pretty much stuck with either fluconazole or the dirty formula Kent magnesium at ~1800PPM because it will outcompete your coral and nothing we’ve found will eat it.  

On 9/14/2018 at 7:34 AM, Clown79 said:

Unless the cause is corrected all the removal methods are not going to work long term.

If someone is over feeding- hide the food from them. Unless they will listen to you, I see no other way to stop it.

Doing too much(chemically) can create issues as well.

Some products have a reputation of causing cyano. I believe Vibrant is one of them.

Personally the only thing I have ever done to get rid gha was peroxide dosing and it worked like a charm. But to prevent it from returning I had to find the cause.

It took some time but turned out to be my dosing of amino and vitamins.

If your rocks are covered it's remove the rocks. Scrub them with a toothbrush, rinse in sw. Do a short peroxide dip, rinse in sw and return to tank. This is the fastest way to get rid of the gha and picking off the bubble algae. It also prevents the spread of gha.

Bubble algae can be picked off the rocks

The overfeeding is being addressed.  We have a 12’ Vlamingi tang so it’s a bit of a tightrope to feed him enough but we were puting about a pound of Asian market seafood mix in every month + other treats.  

The accuse issue is the alage encroaching on the SPS and dipping rock is not really an option as many of the rocks are rather large and encrusted with SPS bases.  

Since you can't remove the rock for dipping you can do spot treatments. 

I did spot treatments with 3% peroxide on my gha and it worked like a charm.

what I did was :

turn off all water movement

manually remove as much of the gha with tweezers

with a syringe I spot treated the gha patches with the peroxide.

I used only 2ml at a time. 

I let it sit for 10 mins then turned all the water movement back on.

I also added a small amount of phosguard to help.

It got rid of the gha.

3 hours ago, Five.five-six said:

dirty formula Kent magnesium

At least in my case 6 years ago, the mystery "dirty" ingredient/formula was shown to be just an old wives tale.  I jacked up mag with the lab grade BRS mag and it worked just fine.  By definition, the BRS mag should be much more "pure" and much less "dirty".

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions