ReefCleaners.org

Nero™ 5 Power Head - Anyone else thrilled?!

Krish87

AI has always been at the helm of "lighting" for reef tanks. They have certainly accomplished great success with their current product line. Now they are coming out with their new power head.

The NERO 5 Powerhead - http://www.aquaillumination.com/flow/nero/nero5.html

Priced at $299.00 - this definitely doesn't fall in place for budget reefing. But for those who have been using the MP10 or MP40s . . . what do you think?

I just wanted to learn what everyone thinks about this new little tech packed with so much power (it can push up to 3000 gph).

Do share your thoughts!

It's more expensive than an mp10(perhaps the mp40 is closer in specs). But regardless I use the mp10 so that is what it would have to outcompete in my tank.  Nero electric power goes into the tank, mp10 it doesn't.  Nero has no easily integrated battery back up, MP10 does.  Nero needs internet to be fully customizable, the included controller can only adjust speed from what I can tell, MP10 has a nice controller that allows me to change more than just speed, I don't use/have the wireless function.  I think they are out of touch with why the AI Prime was a marketing success, which I attribute to its lower price tag than all the other name brands, 200$ light=good deal. 300$ wavemaker from a lighting company= wait until a bunch of people have used them a year+ and the price goes down.  Plus the baby blue prop looks childish

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

It's more expensive than an mp10(perhaps the mp40 is closer in specs). But regardless I use the mp10 so that is what it would have to outcompete in my tank.  Nero electric power goes into the tank, mp10 it doesn't.  Nero has no easily integrated battery back up, MP10 does.  Nero needs internet to be fully customizable, the included controller can only adjust speed from what I can tell, MP10 has a nice controller that allows me to change more than just speed, I don't use/have the wireless function.  I think they are out of touch with why the AI Prime was a marketing success, which I attribute to its lower price tag than all the other name brands, 200$ light=good deal. 300$ wavemaker from a lighting company= wait until a bunch of people have used them a year+ and the price goes down.  Plus the baby blue prop looks childish

I think the blue impeller looks cool. That being said I think the mp 10 wins bc you can keep the motor out of the tank.. and what's up with the "integrated " battery backup. Is it actually integrated or just a battery back up. I always wondered why people didn't just by a apc battery backup like we use on servers or pcs...

15 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I think the blue impeller looks cool. That being said I think the mp 10 wins bc you can keep the motor out of the tank.. and what's up with the "integrated " battery backup. Is it actually integrated or just a battery back up. I always wondered why people didn't just by a apc battery backup like we use on servers or pcs...

Vortechs will automatically go to minimum setting (customizable) when main power goes out and they are provided the 12v DC. Lasts MUCH longer than having a powerhead on a UPS at full blast. 

I have a UPS backup on both tanks, that keeps flow going (single powerhead) and brain active (moniter temperature; etc). That’s 4 hours though; MP10 does 72?

• Thanks 1

I have used MP10 for years till it rusted out. Based on design/features (and my experience with MP10) I would go with Nero. Or at very least, I would love to give it a chance.  

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I would have been interested but the price is still too high since you can get a aqamai for a lot less.

At $300 it pushes 3x the water of the Aquamai.  Too big for most of our tanks, but seems to be a better value than $119 for the Aquamai.  

1 hour ago, specore said:

At $300 it pushes 3x the water of the Aquamai.  Too big for most of our tanks, but seems to be a better value than $119 for the Aquamai.  

I’m running 3 Aquamai pumps. All pumps run on various modes between %60-%100. I don’t think that single Nero could cover flow in all areas of the tank like 3 KPS pumps could but perhaps I could get away with 1Nero and 1 KPS (for detritus control).  I also like the wide flow pattern of Nero pump and ease of use. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I’m running 3 Aquamai pumps. All pumps run on various modes between %60-%100. I don’t think that single Nero could cover flow in all areas of the tank like 3 KPS pumps could but perhaps I could get away with 1Nero and 1 KPS (for detritus control).  I also like the wide flow pattern of Nero pump and ease of use. 

I would definitely be interested to see how the Nero does in the 30L.  My Mp-10's are rate at half the flow and I can't run them over 80% without either stirring up sand or sucking air, so I would think the Nero would be tough to run over 40-45%.  OF course you are BB, so who knows.  I wonder if they won't come out with a smaller version more in the 1500 gph range for closer to $200.  

7 minutes ago, specore said:

I would definitely be interested to see how the Nero does in the 30L.  My Mp-10's are rate at half the flow and I can't run them over 80% without either stirring up sand or sucking air, so I would think the Nero would be tough to run over 40-45%.  OF course you are BB, so who knows.  I wonder if they won't come out with a smaller version more in the 1500 gph range for closer to $200.  

That would be nice and they might. Companies usually launch new products at the middle of the road as far as product line is concern. Especially since they’re known from LEDs market towards nano crowd. 

As far as flow is concern well, since flow pattern is so wide, it might be possible to push it a little harder without creating a sandstorm. I’m pushing a lot of gph in my 30l but you wouldn’t notice it if you look at the tank. I have 1 pump at the top and 2 on the bottom. That creates equal flow/current throughout the tank. It helps with detritus buildup and “0” dead spots. 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

That would be nice and they might. Companies usually launch new products at the middle of the road as far as product line is concern. Especially since they’re known from LEDs market towards nano crowd. 

As far as flow well, since flow pattern is so wide, it might be possible to push it a little harder without creating a sandstorm. I’m pushing a lot of gph in my 30l but you wouldn’t notice it if you look at the tank. I have 1 pump at the top and 2 on the bottom. That creates equal flow/current throughout the tank. It helps with detritus buildup and “0” dead spots. 

I agree.  I'm pretty sure Ecotech sells a lot more MP-10's than MP-40's, so it wouldn't make sense to not develop a smaller model to compete with the MP-10. 

1 minute ago, specore said:

I agree.  I'm pretty sure Ecotech sells a lot more MP-10's than MP-40's, so it wouldn't make sense to not develop a smaller model to compete with the MP-10. 

Nano tanks are still popular so yeah, it would make sense to introduce their product to nano reefers and possibly earn brand name and popularity in case they upgrade to a larger systems. 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, A Little Blue said:

Nano tanks are still popular so yeah, it would make sense to introduce their product to nano reefers and possibly earn brand name and popularity in case they upgrade to a larger systems. 

It's all the same bank account. 

On 9/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, specore said:

To add to StevieT above, you do know that Ecotech and AI are the same company now, right?  Internal friendly competition? Maybe. But hardly true business competition 

http://www.aquaillumination.com/merger/

• Like 1