Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hammer coral head withered... others are fine

DOJOLOACH

Can anyone help ID this issue? It started 2 weeks ago, i thought maybe my leather coral released toxins on it but it hasn't gotten better.

Additionally ive moved it to its own crevice on the bottom and still no improvement

20180911_192131.jpg

Sure, whoops...

8.1 PH

Kh 8.2

Cal 450

Mag 1350

80F

Weekly water change 20%

All my nutrients stay stable throughout the week, i havw occasionally fed him reef roids, and he used to he next to my finger leather coral. Now next to a frog spawn.

I noticed one day my corals were closed up and the leather coral looked suspicious so i moved them all away from it. It has a small amount of flow on it, just enoughto make it sway

5 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH said:

Would an iodine dip help or just leave it be?

Nothing wrong with iodine dip. I wouldn’t move it around too much but make sure it has enough flow. Not enough flow can cause brown jelly disease. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update.. nothing has improved... b8t now i have a green algea taking over my coral frags, should i reduce light period or increase flow over them? Its only on the frags that are right below the surface.

20180922_171024.jpg

20180922_171010.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This head has withered and died completely now. The other head is on its way out and so is two heads of frogspawn. What the heck! Could this be from an accumulation of phosphates?

1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH said:

This head has withered and died completely now. The other head is on its way out and so is two heads of frogspawn. What the heck! Could this be from an accumulation of phosphates?

Yes for sure.. it looks like your PO4 and nitrate are probably out of wack, that is a lot of algae. You say your nutrients are stable but doesn't appear to be true. 

Are you using RODI water?

Im using ro water at tds of 3. I have some ferric phodphate removal chems comingfrom drsfostersmith this friday. I also plan to create a new media basket on my evo so i can get rid of the foam!