Coral Vue Hydros

Tuxedo Urchin acclimation: submerge upside down to avoid trapped air bubbles?

Muffin87

I've ordered a tuxedo urchin.

Am I supposed to flip the urchin upside down before submerging it into my tank?

I'm reading flipping it upside down allows the urchin to expel air bubbles.

I'm finding this a bit strange. Anybody can tell me more about this or the acclimation process in general?

First I’ve heard of this. I’ve had several and just matched salinity and dumped in the tank. Although The first one I bought many years ago the LFS told me to get it from bag to tank quick, something about them being sensitive to being out of the water. 

It's something I've read around Italian forums.

I read the original posts, but you can check out the google translate version: here.

23 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I’ve had several and just matched salinity and dumped in the tank.

Good to know.

11 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I’ve seen urchins cling to a rock that was exposed to air during tide. I’m sure those crevices had a bit of water in them but still. 

Maybe acclimation being stressful, the formation of air bubbles is more common as the urchin breathes heavily? Just a dumb guess obvs.

10 minutes ago, Muffin87 said:

It's something I've read around Italian forums.

I read the original posts, but you can check out the google translate version: here.

Good to know.

Maybe acclimation being stressful, the formation of air bubbles is more common as the urchin breathes heavily? Just a dumb guess obvs.

Maybe. I had only few urchins in my life and that was a long time ago. As I remember, salinity/temperature matching was all that was needed. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 10:07 AM, Sancho said:

First I’ve heard of this. I’ve had several and just matched salinity and dumped in the tank. Although The first one I bought many years ago the LFS told me to get it from bag to tank quick, something about them being sensitive to being out of the water. 

the reason its bad for them to be out of water is they constantly pump water in and out of them to serve as blood (they dont have blood). getting air in there can damage them

tux urchins are great. i planned to buy one, but one turned u on a coral i bought. once their acclimated, theyre tough as nails, but be careful of rapidly changing salinity.

A Little Blue

Just got Tuxedo Urchin yesterday. No issues whatsoever. Floated the bag for 5min, cut the bag open and pushed her out gently till she was able to attach herself to the nearest wall. She also got exposed to air for a bit in the process. So again, if your water is fine and your temp/salinity is within range, you shouldn’t have any issues.