Innovative Marine Aquariums

ALK

jSully

So I took my water to be tested about a week and a half ago and discovered my dkh was at 5.7. This was about 3 days after a 70% WC (2gal). Calcium was 450ppm at the time. I mix my water to 35ppm. LFS suggested it was the base water. Did a 1.5g water change (~60%) this past Thursday and dkh was at 5.4, Ca at 450 and mg 1600+. Again, suggesting issues with base water. No way did 8 corals consume that much dkh in less than 24 hours. LFS uses the same salt I use (Red Sea Coral Pro) so I just decided to get a 5gal jug of their water. I had planned to do 1/2 gal WC/day for a week or so to bring up the alk. Did 1/2 gal on Friday and Saturday and when I came into work this morning my monti spongodes is very faded, even the polyps. Everything else looks fine, except that. Am I increasing alk too fast? Should I slow it down? Less % WC or less frequent? Any ideas?

Are you using distilled or rodi water?

First I would suggest buying your own testers rather than rely on the lfs.

When you have corals, especially lps and sps testing certain parameters in the beginning is very important. At least weekly. 

As the tank matures needs fir testing will change.

I would first use a good tester for alk. Hanna checker, salifert, or red sea. 

I would test a batch of newly mixed salt. Then you know what it mixes at.

Some brands have batch numbers where you can look up what the parameters should be. 

Your water may mix low therefore you would need to dose your new saltwater mix before doing waterchanges.

Or else if you dose daily to increase the numbers every time you do a waterchange it will drop, creating a fluctuation.

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't articulate my question properly. Simply stated: at what rate can you increase alk without being detrimental to the inhabitants? 1dkh/day? more? less? every other day?

I'm not going to use my own water at this time, I'm going to use theirs to which I know has the proper parameters and since I'm only changing 1.5 gallons twice a week the cost isn't a factor, but I also don't want to kills these guys because I'm increasing too rapidly.

The opinions of BRS.

Alkalinity Dosing Tips

• If you are having issues raising your alkalinity, check to ensure your aquarium magnesium level is between 1200-1350ppm and that the solution is added to a high flow area of the tank.
  • Due to the high pH of Soda Ash, additions should be made slowly into a high flow area of the aquarium to help prevent precipitation.
  • If a large amount of alkalinity is needed, we suggest raising your aquarium no more than 1.4 DKH per day.
  • Monitor your aquariums pH when making additions to ensure the pH does not rise over 0.2pH.
  • It is much safer to dose less and test again, than to overdose.
  • Dosing alkalinity at night can help keep your pH from dropping.
  • Like 1

awesome, thanks.

I think I may have found the culprit with the fading though: it seems I plugged the light cord back into the power strip, rather than the timer so it's been on all weekend. What an idiot. I think I'm going to unplug it now and leave it off until morning.

8 minutes ago, xtra0t said:

awesome, thanks.

I think I may have found the culprit with the fading though: it seems I plugged the light cord back into the power strip, rather than the timer so it's been on all weekend. What an idiot. I think I'm going to unplug it now and leave it off until morning.

its all good! last week i was doing some work on the nano tank in the office and i forgot to plug in the heater...went all weekend without a heater and they keep the office at 70 degrees! i got back and the thermo read 74 degrees....:scarry: