Pod Your Reef

cant get overflow bulkheads to stop leaking

LazyFish

My friend just got a tank I was trying to help set it up. The whole things been a total cluster you know what. We finaly  found the missing gasket for thr bulkheads but they are very difficult to access. Once in place I tightened them hand tight with much difficult as I was contorted under the stand with the sump and equipment. The stand has a solid top so the bulkheads and pipes go through a hole on the top so it makes them basicly recessed and harder to access. I cleaned out the inside of the over flow and made them as tight as I could by hand then tried to tighten with channel locks and had a very hard time to get them any tighter because of the closeness and being recessed the nuts are very thin and narrow I had great difficulty with them. I thought they were tight but when I put a little water in it all driped came out. The nuts are not upside down and the gaskets are on the wet side I just dont think it was tight enough the overflow pipes still wobbled quite a bit if you shake them. I think a thicker wider nut would help alot to give something to grip on. I may try a strap wrench. Are there any other suggestions that may help me out we spent 6 hrs fooling with this thing last night we are all exhausted and the poor fish are still in a big barrel.

On and the tank is large 130 or 150 not sure so putting the bulk heads on and then lowering onto the stand is not realy an option we dont have enough people to pick it straight up. And clear the hole also we are girls so...yea not happening. This tank man just this tank everything its murphys law I swear.

Ok well I spent 7 hrs on this today but the beast is now running

..mostly....still have some equipment to hook up. All kind of mess later We managed to find some wider nuts and got some unexpected but much apreciated help to slide the tank partialy off the stand then lift and lower it back in place but even with 2 dudes it took 5 people to move it safely....also theres no way this is tank is 150 its definantly larger than 150...I think all our backs agree on this...