Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Noob's Lagoon 25

NoobHour

After helping start and maintain family tanks I have decided to use what I have learned and get my own running. This is my first reef tank.

Equipment:

-IM Lagoon 25

-IM Black APS Stand

-Sicce 1.5 Return Pump

-Icecap 1k Gyre Flow Pump

-Icecap k1 Nano Skimmer

-2x Filter Floss Holders

-Tunze ATO

-Cobalt Neotherm 75w Heater

-Nanobox Duo LED (on order, using spare Current USA Orbit until it comes in)

Livestock:

-Nothing, tank is cycling

Log:

9/10/2018- Tank is roughly 9 days into it's cycle and is coming along nicely. The Rock was baked before setting up the tank and a very small amount of live rock was added to the tank to help seed bacteria colonies. Ammonia is remaining steady around 1 ppm, nitrites have shot up to about 1.5 ppm, and nitrates have gone up to 20 ppm. Expecting to start seeing ammonia and nitrites approach 0, hopefully within a week or two.

Lagoon_9-10-18.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Following along!

How do you like your skimmer, I'm debating between the icecap, the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5, and the Eshopps for my future lagoon (also first tank).

How do you like the gyre? I've read positive reviews but also that it is way to strong for the lagoon. What is your experience? The alternative would be a MP10 for me.

Thanks!!

On 10/11/2018 at 11:02 PM, pieceofreef said:

Following along!

How do you like your skimmer, I'm debating between the icecap, the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5, and the Eshopps for my future lagoon (also first tank).

How do you like the gyre? I've read positive reviews but also that it is way to strong for the lagoon. What is your experience? The alternative would be a MP10 for me.

Thanks!!

Hey, sorry I've been away for a bit. I love the icecap skimmer! It is quiet and is producing nicely now. The only issue I had was the time it took for it to break in, I actually thought I had made a bad purchase at first. The gyre is great, it is a little strong for the lagoon but I have it turned down to 50% on alternating mode. Sand still gets blown down a little too much in the front of the tank (I have mine on the back wall). I would think if you placed it on the side of the tank it wouldn't be an issue. Worth keeping in mind that the gyre is fully adjustable so it being too strong isn't a big deal.

I'm really thinking about getting two of those IceCap Gyre 1k and putting one on each side and then using my MP10 on the back wall. Is your 1k very loud? Nice tank by the way. Can't wait to see it light by that nano box. 

3 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I'm really thinking about getting two of those IceCap Gyre 1k and putting one on each side and then using my MP10 on the back wall. Is your 1k very loud? Nice tank by the way. Can't wait to see it light by that nano box. 

Thank you! I can only hear my gyre if I put my ear against the glass lol. They seem to be extremely quiet as long as you keep them clean (free of hair algae and things like that).

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NoobHour said:

Hey, sorry I've been away for a bit. I love the icecap skimmer! It is quiet and is producing nicely now. The only issue I had was the time it took for it to break in, I actually thought I had made a bad purchase at first. The gyre is great, it is a little strong for the lagoon but I have it turned down to 50% on alternating mode. Sand still gets blown down a little too much in the front of the tank (I have mine on the back wall). I would think if you placed it on the side of the tank it wouldn't be an issue. Worth keeping in mind that the gyre is fully adjustable so it being too strong isn't a big deal.

Thanks!!

What kind of substrate are you using? I'll get the slightly bigger Reefflakes in the hope to minimize it getting blown around.

Can you control the gyre in small steps like 1% or 5% or so?

Is the magnet fine to submerge to operate the gyre on the back wall? I love the idea and look to keep the sides free.

Do you have any livestock in yet? I'd be curious how the skimmer does once the bioload is getting real.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice! It's fun to follow here.

27 minutes ago, pieceofreef said:

Thanks!!

What kind of substrate are you using? I'll get the slightly bigger Reefflakes in the hope to minimize it getting blown around.

Can you control the gyre in small steps like 1% or 5% or so?

Is the magnet fine to submerge to operate the gyre on the back wall? I love the idea and look to keep the sides free.

Do you have any livestock in yet? I'd be curious how the skimmer does once the bioload is getting real.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice! It's fun to follow here.

The gyre adjusts in 10% increments, you can also program a schedule for it to ramp during certain times.

I was concerned about submerging the magnet but I haven't notice anything negative and I have yet to see any input from anyone online about submerging the outer magnet yet. If I notice and issues or rusting I will seal the magnet myself, it seems fine though.

I have a full CuC, 2 clowns, and a handful of coral right now. The Skimmer has been keeping up just fine, I don't think it will have any trouble as I keep adding things.

I just installed my Nano Box Duo! I will post an update for the tank later today.