Pod Your Reef

My first saltwater tank: 10G rimless "The Island"

Firefish15

Hey! Welcome! You will have a ton of fun with this hobby!

if you ask me, I would say way too much rock - aesthetic wise. But with that being said, some people really enjoy a tank with that amount of rock work.

• Like 1

Looking from the front landscape pane (first pic), if you rotate the piece of tonga rock towards you (bring the top down) I think that would look awesome and open the water column up some. 

1 hour ago, MrJDanP said:

Looking from the front landscape pane (first pic), if you rotate the piece of tonga rock towards you (bring the top down) I think that would look awesome and open the water column up some. 

Like this?

IMG_20180909_211727683.jpg

I think it would look good without the Tonga period. 

I built up my first scape attempt high but then left some out. If you plan branching corals near the top remember to give them space to grow vertically. 

Got some more scapes with fewer pieces of rock. I don't plan on getting into SPS with this tank, with the exception of maybe one Montipora digitata or one M. capricornis. So the coral won't fill in a ton of space.

IMG_20180910_123139990.jpg

IMG_20180910_123736342.jpg

IMG_20180910_124542985.jpg

IMG_20180910_125239158.jpg

IMG_20180910_125729271.jpg

32 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

somebody else with the aquaknight by hipegero lights! i love mine! the last scape looks really good btw....any sand?

One of the employees at my LFS said he had one too! Said it was good for all softies and maybe some Monty's higher up. My rock is still curing in-tank, so no sand yet. I will get about 8-10 pounds of live sand from the LFS though, just as soon as I'm cycled.

Just now, Firefish15 said:

One of the employees at my LFS said he had one too! Said it was good for all softies and maybe some Monty's higher up. My rock is still curing in-tank, so no sand yet. I will get about 8-10 pounds of live sand from the LFS though, just as soon as I'm cycled.

sweet! and yea you can put monty's in the upper fourth of the tank with these lights. if you look at my office tank thread i have these lights and my frogspawn have been in there for a couple weeks(on the sandbed!) and it has grown another mouth so its about to split and so is one of my hammers. I have had trumpets in there for a month and i have 3 new heads. i feed reef chili 2-3x a week and 20 percent water changes every week

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Got some more scapes with fewer pieces of rock. I don't plan on getting into SPS with this tank, with the exception of maybe one Montipora digitata or one M. capricornis. So the coral won't fill in a ton of space.

IMG_20180910_123139990.jpg

IMG_20180910_123736342.jpg

IMG_20180910_124542985.jpg

IMG_20180910_125239158.jpg

The top pic is really nice.

If the rocks are cycling in tank the sand can be added now and better off to during cycling.

If its wet live rock you won't have much of a cycle.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

The top pic is really nice.

If the rocks are cycling in tank the sand can be added now and better off to during cycling.

If its wet live rock you won't have much of a cycle.

It's not really "wet" rock. I collected it wild when I lived in Kenya, and it's been dry for a few years. So maybe some algal spores will show up? I'll probably have to seed to get coralline. I was thinking of getting "Coralline Algae in a Bottle", from ARC Reef. But yeah, I can get sand soon. What do you guys think is better? Live sand from the LFS systems, or like a bagged and packaged live sand?

@Euphylin me @falcooo @Clown79 Yeah, I do like that top scape too. I would definitely need to epoxy and glue some pieces though. And it doesn't include the nice piece of tonga. I hauled all these pieces from across the world, so I'm kind of sentimental about using them. Do you see my dilemma? omgomgomg I'm partial to this scape right now. 

What if you did the cave scape from the first one, and used the Tonga upright on the right side kind of separate. And a nice encrusting coral like cyphastrea to take over that piece you like and still keep its shape.

13 hours ago, falcooo said:

What if you did the cave scape from the first one, and used the Tonga upright on the right side kind of separate. And a nice encrusting coral like cyphastrea to take over that piece you like and still keep its shape.

The tonga doesn't really balance well upright. It's a tricky piece to work with. 😐 Also, I'm running out of room! It's only a 20"L X 10"W X 12"H. It would have been nice to go bigger, but I'm in a university apartment and I already had this tank from an old freshwater setup. Thanks for the cyphastrea recommendation though! I'm researching them more now.

15 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

It's not really "wet" rock. I collected it wild when I lived in Kenya, and it's been dry for a few years. So maybe some algal spores will show up? I'll probably have to seed to get coralline. I was thinking of getting "Coralline Algae in a Bottle", from ARC Reef. But yeah, I can get sand soon. What do you guys think is better? Live sand from the LFS systems, or like a bagged and packaged live sand?

@Euphylin me @falcooo @Clown79 Yeah, I do like that top scape too. I would definitely need to epoxy and glue some pieces though. And it doesn't include the nice piece of tonga. I hauled all these pieces from across the world, so I'm kind of sentimental about using them. Do you see my dilemma? omgomgomg I'm partial to this scape right now. 

Yes, I really like this one too. I especially love that Tonga piece, it really stands out as a centerpiece of your scape so the ones that feature it are my faves. In fact the thing I don’t like as much about this scape is that much of the Tonga piece will be covered if you add sand, so I think I like some of the others with it higher up better.

4 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yes, I really like this one too. I especially love that Tonga piece, it really stands out as a centerpiece of your scape so the ones that feature it are my faves. In fact the thing I don’t like as much about this scape is that much of the Tonga piece will be covered if you add sand, so I think I like some of the others with it higher up better.

The tonga might look pretty flat, but laying down its still about 4 inches tall at the peak, and slopes down to about 1.5". The lovely ridges will still be exposed, and I should still be able to see the ends above the sand. It's sitting under the pump return, so I was thinking of an encrusting coral with some movement there. Like clove polyps. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I really like the tonga branches down at the bottom right.  I feel like that'd make terrific spots for mushrooms, RFAs, Carpet Anenome, etc.  

Thank you! It's a pretty high-flow area, sitting right under the HOB. Maybe a little high for mushrooms? I was thinking something with some movement to it. I think the rocks on the bottom by the cave would be good for mushrooms.