Coral Vue Hydros

Firefish's 10G rimless "The Island" - Tank transferred to 14g bow front

Firefish15

On 9/20/2018 at 12:55 AM, Firefish15 said:

Just added 15 pounds of live sand! I mixed a 5lb bag of CaribSea Ocean Direct and a 10lb bag of Nature's Ocean. I topped it off with a couple handfuls from the LFS. I can see the little copepods running around already! The pic is after a few hours had gone by. Got about 2.5 inches of sand in the back, sloping to about 1 inch in the front.

IMG_20180919_224437042.jpg

a zoa garden would look amazing on that tonga branch on the right side! do like a different kind on each stalk

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

a zoa garden would look amazing on that tonga branch on the right side! do like a different kind on each stalk

I agree! Which are more tolerant of flow though, zoas or ricordea? The AC flow comes across the surface of the water, down the front of the glass, then across the sand and tonga toward the back wall. You can kind of see the divot in the sand that it's made.

HookedOnAquariums
7 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

I agree! Which are more tolerant of flow though, zoas or ricordea? The AC flow comes across the surface of the water, down the front of the glass, then across the sand and tonga toward the back wall. You can kind of see the divot in the sand that it's made.

Hey new kid here. According to my research zoas would be quite a bit more tolerable with flow. I have seen many people use them as filler peices in their sps domintae tanks. There seems to be an influx in people with standard 10 gallons on nano reef right now! I actually just got done cycling mine and am building the light (gonna need something stronger than a hipagiro for acros eventually). Love your scape by the way , i see some places for monticaps when you get the sps itch 😉 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Hey new kid here. According to my research zoas would be quite a bit more tolerable with flow. I have seen many people use them as filler peices in their sps domintae tanks. There seems to be an influx in people with standard 10 gallons on nano reef right now! I actually just got done cycling mine and am building the light (gonna need something stronger than a hipagiro for acros eventually). Love your scape by the way , i see some places for monticaps when you get the sps itch 😉 

Yeah, this tank is left over from my freshwater days. I was breeding red cherry shrimp in it and selling them to the LFS.

Seeing as how this is my first saltwater tank, I'm going to steer clear of SPS for the foreseeable future. I'm also in college right now, so I'll stick with things that can be cared for by someone else over breaks. Probably stick with discosomas, ricordeas, and zoanthids, maybe an LPS. But yes, I see the potential! On the right side, the rock above the tonga? 

HookedOnAquariums
Just now, Firefish15 said:

Seeing as how this is my first tank, I'm going to steer clear of SPS for the foreseeable future. I'm also in college right now, so I'll stick with things that can be cared for by someone else over breaks. Probably stick with discosomas, ricordeas, and zoanthids, maybe an LPS. But yes, I see the potential! On the right side, the rock above the tonga? 

Nope you don't want to shade the tonga because of all the pretty zoas you'll have there. left side towards the wall is where i was thinking. Ive actually heard that some sps like montis, pocilapora, seriatapora, pavona, mostly anything but acros are as easy as lps now days. all those new fangled chemicals in the salt! Im in high school so i geuss we share some of the same struggles!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Nope you don't want to shade the tonga because of all the pretty zoas you'll have there. left side towards the wall is where i was thinking. Ive actually heard that some sps like montis, pocilapora, seriatapora, pavona, mostly anything but acros are as easy as lps now days. all those new fangled chemicals in the salt! Im in high school so i geuss we share some of the same struggles!

Lots of time to plan, lots of time to research!  Thinking zoas on the tonga, mushrooms on the bottom left and at the mouth of the cave, rics midway up the rocks, and an LPS up top and center.

HookedOnAquariums
2 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Lots of time to plan, lots of time to research!  Thinking zoas on the tonga, mushrooms on the bottom left and at the mouth of the cave, rics midway up the rocks, and an LPS up top and center.

Sounds great! what kind of lps? a euphillia? acan? I cant wait a couple months for this! some Rock Flower Anemones would be cool in your substrate.

6 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Sounds great! what kind of lps? a euphillia? acan? I cant wait a couple months for this! some Rock Flower Anemones would be cool in your substrate.

Probably something with a different growth form than the other corals, more movement. So yeah, maybe a Euphyllia or Duncan.

8 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Probably something with a different growth form than the other corals, more movement. So yeah, maybe a Euphyllia or Duncan.

9 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Broke young people 10g reef squad unite!

• Haha 1
HookedOnAquariums
3 hours ago, pmang6 said:

Broke young people 10g reef squad unite!

HA, maybe the three of us together can surpass teenyreef and cannedfish in sexy 10 gallons

• Wow 1
19 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

HA, maybe the three of us together can surpass teenyreef and cannedfish in sexy 10 gallons

Just looked at their tanks. That's some stiff competition! :lol: I'd need a thicc wallet for all those acros. I'm just going to do what makes me happy, doing it for the love, not the likes. 

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums
32 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Just looked at their tanks. That's some stiff competition! :lol: I'd need a thicc wallet for all those acros. I'm just going to do what makes me happy, doing it for the love, not the likes. 

The sad thing for me is that i'm like a kardashian, i love the likes and i also love spending money on things that are super pretty but i don't need. So i guess sps are just the corals for me.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, vegasgundog said:

Clean your refractomoeter regularly with fresh water and a soft cloth. Love your setup and all the life in it already. 

Better to learn sooner than later! Thanks for the kind words!

On 10/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, Firefish15 said:

definitely zoas. there are some zoas that dont do well in high flow but often times, zoas placed in higher flow will develop longer skirts (just dont blast them with flow). and yes on the euphyllia (sorry im biased)

What a neat tank!  I love that you were able to bring a bit of Kenya back with you and use it in your tank, just makes the tank that much more special.  Tagging along. :smilie:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from a 4 day fall break trip. Room mate was topping up the tank while I was gone. I did a 20% water change as soon as I got back and tested parameters, which all look good. 

Temp: 78.6F

Salinity: 1.025

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 4ppm

The green hair algae is becoming quite prolific. I removed as much as I could, but it's all in the substrate. The little hermit crab is fighting valiantly but will need some backup. I'll pick up some snails as soon as I am able, preferably a cerith and a trochus. I'll also be getting a firefish soon, as soon as I construct a mesh top and get food. 

• Like 1
On 10/7/2018 at 5:10 PM, Lula_Mae said:

What a neat tank!  I love that you were able to bring a bit of Kenya back with you and use it in your tank, just makes the tank that much more special.  Tagging along. :smilie:

Thank you! I would love to do a Kenyan biotope at some point! I've got this crazy idea of doing something like a 12-foot long tank divided into sections simulating the Kenyan coast. Starting with shallow mangroves at one end, moving into the soft coral and macro lagoon, to the hard coral barrier reefs. Try to recreate what I've seen scuba diving over there. Just a pipe dream right now, but maybe someday. :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Firefish15 said:

Thank you! I would love to do a Kenyan biotope at some point! I've got this crazy idea of doing something like a 12-foot long tank divided into sections simulating the Kenyan coast. Starting with shallow mangroves at one end, moving into the soft coral and macro lagoon, to the hard coral barrier reefs. Just a pipe dream right now, but maybe someday. :lol:

That would be awesome!!!

• Like 2

Made the mesh top for the tank today! I forgot to account for the width of the clips though, so I'll need to go back and shave the frame by about a quarter inch. Better too long than too short though! :rolleyes: I'll post another pic once I get it to sit flush. I left the extra material in the back so I have room to fit over my filter and cords. Got to keep that future firefish in!

Also been seeing a bloom of hydroid jellyfish on the glass. They're supposed to go away on their own, right?

IMG_20181010_170751881.jpg

IMG_20181010_231728985.jpg

• Like 2

Just got the lid length trimmed down a smidge. I've also got an Amazon order with some goodies coming in the next few days. After some research, I bought the Omega One Marine Garlic flakes. I'll pick up a frozen mix when I get the firefish this weekend. 

IMG_20181011_153913032.jpg

IMG_20181011_153923183.jpg

• Like 1

Perfect fit on that lid! There was a smart micro ato for sale in the marketplace here for 60$ and im totally kicking myself for not jumping on it when i had the chance. 

Really starting to enjoy my 10 now that its fairly well stocked. Cant wait to see where you go with yours. Also, not sure if i said this yet, but im totally envious of your scape.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, pmang6 said:

Perfect fit on that lid! There was a smart micro ato for sale in the marketplace here for 60$ and im totally kicking myself for not jumping on it when i had the chance. 

Really starting to enjoy my 10 now that its fairly well stocked. Cant wait to see where you go with yours. Also, not sure if i said this yet, but im totally envious of your scape.

Hmm yeah, that was a good deal. I saw it too. I think for an ATO, I'm going to try a DIY gravity-fed one. Think like an inverted two-liter bottle. It might not look the prettiest, but I'll only have to use it when I'm gone. And it'll be cheap, so...

I work in the herpetology lab at my school, so I have some experience working with tanks. Drilling glass, making lids, making custom foam backgrounds, stuff like that. Taking care of a bunch of amphibians and reptiles, including a tegu and an alligator. It's a fun job. :happydance: 

Yeah, I'm enjoying the scape too, haven't felt the urge to change it. I really like the rocks themselves. The base rock on the left is mostly hollow, big cave with a few different sized holes for entrances. I think the firefish will like it. 

• Like 1

I went to the LFS today! I now have my first ever saltwater fish: Moto Moto the magnificent firefish! :happydance: He's about an inch and a half right now. For the first hour after release, he tucked himself away under the tonga, but now he's out and about exploring the tank. He's also already taken some frozen mysis, brine shrimp, and krill. Looks nice and healthy! I also got an Astraea snail and some mini brittle stars.

Apologies for the blurry photo of Moto, but he is fast and my camera is slow. :rolleyes:

IMG_20181013_163811772.jpg

IMG_20181013_180019691.jpg

4 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

I went to the LFS today! I now have my first ever saltwater fish: Moto Moto the magnificent firefish! :happydance: He's about an inch and a half right now. For the first hour after release, he tucked himself away under the tonga, but now he's out and about exploring the tank. He's also already taken some frozen mysis, brine shrimp, and krill. Looks nice and healthy! I also got an Astraea snail and some mini brittle stars.

Apologies for the blurry photo of Moto, but he is fast and my camera is slow. :rolleyes:

IMG_20181013_163811772.jpg

IMG_20181013_180019691.jpg

That's so cool that you were able to get mini brittles! Moto is very cute. For the ATO, you can actually use pet rodent bottles, I believe @Nano sapiensuses a pair. 

• Firefish15 changed the title to Firefish's 10G rimless "The Island" - Tank transferred to 14g bow front