Luke78

Can This Light Grow Any Coral...At All?

1 minute ago, Euphylin me said:

ive read that red leds can actually exacerbate algae problems...not sure about the green

Yup. Red spectrum is what algaes like. Red should be run very low or not at all. It can also burn corals.

Green helps bring out the green in corals but not overly important.

Blues, violets, and UV are very important to corals. White helps with growth but doesn't need to be on all day or overly high percentage.

Just now, Clown79 said:

Yup. Red spectrum is what algaes like. Red should be run very low or not at all. It can also burn corals.

Blues, violets, and UV are very important to corals. White helps with growth but doesn't need to be on all day or overly high percentage.

literally to a tee of what i have read!

What type of lighting fixture do you recommend and can you change the amount of color in par 38 bulbs (like the white listed below). If I use the abi bulbs, then I will not have to tone down the white because it only has one or two whites. I will probably go with the abi bulbs

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

1 hour ago, Luke78 said:

What type of lighting fixture do you recommend and can you change the amount of color in par 38 bulbs (like the white listed below). If I use the abi bulbs, then I will not have to tone down the white because it only has one or two whites. I will probably go with the abi bulbs

Par38 bulbs are not controllable. Some can be dimmed. So it's best to choose a bulb in a spectrum you prefer. 

I have used 2 different par bulbs. Abi tuna blue and a no name one 50/50.

I personally preferred the tuna blue, better quality, better spread, and the colour spectrum I really liked. I had good growth with it as well.

There are many lights available depending on your budget and needs.

par38 bulbs- I listed the highly recommended ones in a previous post.

Aquamaxx nemolight

Current orbit

Kessil

Nanobox

Aqua illumination

Micmol

Radion

Hipargero

Do some research on lighting and then research the various options and choose one that meets your needs and budget.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:46 PM, Clown79 said:

Many of us have used the Abi tuna blue.

I had sps growing under 12watt tuna blue.

On a 20g that's long 2 23 watts are more than plenty.

Par38's are powerful.

The reason why the bar is a waste of money- you will need to buy appropriate lighting for corals, do it from the start.

You can buy far cheaper lights on Amazon for a fw tank like the nicrew.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:46 PM, Clown79 said:

Many of us have used the Abi tuna blue.

I had sps growing under 12watt tuna blue.

On a 20g that's long 2 23 watts are more than plenty.

Par38's are powerful.

The reason why the bar is a waste of money- you will need to buy appropriate lighting for corals, do it from the start.

You can buy far cheaper lights on Amazon for a fw tank like the nicrew.

What size tank was your tuna on? I want to put a 12 watt on a 8g biocube hoping to grow at least lps

1 hour ago, Tangina20 said:

What size tank was your tuna on? I want to put a 12 watt on a 8g biocube hoping to grow at least lps

I used it on my pico har, 5.5g, and 10g.

It really depends on dimensions

• Like 1