inTank Media Baskets

Cycling question

saxplayer

First off, thanks for the help ahead of time!  Second - I know it’s a long process to cycle. 

That said - 16g Biocube with live sand and live rock started Thursday. I wanted to show my tests thus far and get thoughts if it’s looking like it should. I dosed Ammonia until 2 ppm on Thursday.  Also - the tank is running almost 81 degrees F after 3 days and steady there.  Prob gonna have to get a cooler the price of the d**n tank. 

9/6:

NH4: 0.05 before ammonia, 0.2 after (50 drops of Tims). 

N02: 0.1

N03: not tested 

9/7:

NH4: between 1.2-2

NO2: 0.1

NO3:

9/8

NH4: 1.2

N02: 0.2

NO3: between 10-20

thoughts?  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Ladytank said:

Pateints is the key here. Did you add any beneficial bacteria? 

I did not. I just added the Tim’s ammonia until 2ppm based on bottle dosing instructions. What would you recommend?

I've used Dr Tim's one and only in all 3 of my biocube. I was able to add livestock after 2 weeks. The second week I had a diatom bloom and added a small cuc. When the diatoms died off I added my first fish.

I'm running a bc 14gl. I added 2 cerinth snails. 1 red legged hermit and 3 blue legged hermits. I also feed them a clam and green seaweed algea. I tear a piece of the algea off and attach it to a clip or rock with a rubberband. I didn't start with live rock tho. I kept the feeding schedule as my lfs had them on.

If you used liverock, you shouldn't dose ammonia.

There is no need to. Most liverock will have no to very little cycle and on it's own.

Adding ammonia can kill the diversity of life on liverock. 

Ammonia dosing is for dry rock cycling only.

I'd just wait till ammonia processes like normal, do a water change when the cycle is done and move forward.

32 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you used liverock, you shouldn't dose ammonia.

There is no need to. Most liverock will have no to very little cycle and on it's own.

Adding ammonia can kill the diversity of life on liverock. 

Ammonia dosing is for dry rock cycling only.

I'd just wait till ammonia processes like normal, do a water change when the cycle is done and move forward.

Ok thanks for this. To clarify - wait till ammonia and nitrites are zero and water change to rid of nitrates?  Then get CUC?

Yes on above. You want not only the levels at 0, you want to ensure your biofilter can handle your first addition of livestock and convert their poo (ammonia) to nitrite and then nitrate.

Secondly, there might not be a need to invest in a heater. Have you looked into evaporative cooling using fan(s)?

Edit: Just reread and saw biocube - nvm.

8 hours ago, saxplayer said:

Ok thanks for this. To clarify - wait till ammonia and nitrites are zero and water change to rid of nitrates?  Then get CUC?

Yes if you purchased wet liverock

I just want to clarify - checked my nitrates tonight, they seem to be between 20-50 (test options) and nitrites are up to 1 from 0.2 yesterday.

I am correct to NOT change the water to rid of nitrAtes right now yes?  Just wait it out until ammonia, nitrites are zero, then can do water change to remove nitrAtes?

Thanks

Grant

4 hours ago, saxplayer said:

I just want to clarify - checked my nitrates tonight, they seem to be between 20-50 (test options) and nitrites are up to 1 from 0.2 yesterday.

I am correct to NOT change the water to rid of nitrAtes right now yes?  Just wait it out until ammonia, nitrites are zero, then can do water change to remove nitrAtes?

Thanks

Grant

Once ammonia and nitrites are 0 the cycle is done. Your nitrites are currently processing, that's the reason they have increased.

At the end of the cycle you do a good size waterchange. Monitor for a week, if all is well then you can add a fish or cuc

Ok so 9/17:

Zero ammonia

Zero nitrites

I'd say between 20-50 nitrates.

Next step is ??

Dosing with Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride until 1ppm and then see what clears in 24 hr?  Time to order a clean up crew then also?  I have no algae bloom yet in my tank that I have seen.  Not sure if I should expect that with live rock or not?

Can someone recommend a specific CUC for me?  Have several LFS or I can order from Reef Cleaners for custom crew.  I would love to know what to get first.  

Thanks, all. 

Grant

i would do a water change and get the nitrates between 5-10 before adding anything as that is pretty high. and as for a clean up crew i would go with an 2 nassarius 2 cerith and 2 astreas and 2 blue leg hermits

• Like 1

I would dose ammonium per the direction and see if it is converted in the span. If converted, congrats you are on to the next step - so a waterchange add a snail or two.

There is absolutely no need for a full clean up crew right away. You do not want them to starve, so start out with a few and then add as needed.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, saxplayer said:

Ok so 9/17:

Zero ammonia

Zero nitrites

I'd say between 20-50 nitrates.

Next step is ??

Dosing with Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride until 1ppm and then see what clears in 24 hr?  Time to order a clean up crew then also?  I have no algae bloom yet in my tank that I have seen.  Not sure if I should expect that with live rock or not?

Can someone recommend a specific CUC for me?  Have several LFS or I can order from Reef Cleaners for custom crew.  I would love to know what to get first.  

Thanks, all. 

Grant

I believe its 2ppm in 24hrs but the full instructions are on Dr Tim's website.

Cuc should be added as needed or they die from starvation.

I like nassarius, ceriths, trochus, spiny star astrea(not reg. Astrea), scarlet hermits and blue legged hermits.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I believe its 2ppm in 24hrs but the full instructions are on Dr Tim's website.

Cuc should be added as needed or they die from starvation.

I like nassarius, ceriths, trochus, spiny star astrea(not reg. Astrea), scarlet hermits and blue legged hermits.

So you agree with Tim’s dosing and if cleared in 24hr then large water change and CUC?  80% water?

i agree with the others, dont get a full clean up crew right away....sorry i never add inverts before i add livestock (although some will to help with diatoms and such) clean up crews before other livestock are great to help rid the tank of diatoms/green hair algae/whatever else but they can starve themselves as most people will get them and wait like 2-3 weeks before getting fish. when i set my tanks up i get a fish and a few inverts on the same day.

Just now, saxplayer said:

I would like to get a pair of small clowns. Does this sound reasonable with a few CUC members?  Assuming I clear ammonia in 24

you can but 2 fish added right away may cause a bit of an issue when clowns are small they wont be aggressive towards each other. i would add one with some cuc members and wait 2-3 weeks and change the rockscape and add the other clown

• Like 1

Well tonight I had some ammonia and nitrites left but both were not high. 

I do think I did too much Tim’s last night so it may have been way above 2.  I did enough for 13-14 gal and I think it was way over 2 ppm. Once it is all cleared I’ll re dose Tim’s for 10 gallons and see what happens. 

• Like 1