Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5 lights

deetu

Hi all, nice to have found you

I am starting up a tank again after 6 years and decided to go smaller.  In my last tank, (20 gallon x-high and 10 gallon fuge) my live rock had 3 plants that popped out and grew like crazy without me doing anything special (big mistake letting that rock go but we were moving and Hurricane Sandy hit at same time so everything live went to pet store in next town that had power) Had seahorses first, then 4 fish with clean up crew.

After a lot of thought, I believe I will be getting the Fluval Evo 13.5.  It is the perfect size for a shelf I have in my kitchen. 

My husband agreed to a new tank only because I said it would not flood (old tank protein skimmer hung outside the fuge) and will be covered so not bad salt creep (old fuge was on metal stand and open, and not in a closed cabinet) but it seems everyone who gets this tank will alter the lights (for reef), the filter (already decided to do that) and being too hot (main worry).

I'm planning on doing regular water changes instead of getting the protein skimmer.  The DIY scrubber looked interesting too.

So, any thoughts on if this tank on whether the standard lights will be good for some macro and few fish? 

Short answer is yes . Go to the forum section of this site and then click aio tanks find the 13.5 evo. It's a shorter thread bc the tank is relatively new but you can check out what some others have done with stock lighting

Happy reefing!

Hello and Welcome

You don't have to upgrade the lights but many do as other lights are either more powerful or offer better controllability. 

There are budget lights that are better than the stock light 

The stock lights will support lps, soft coral, and macro's. 

Filtration upgrade is a very good idea as well

I have 3 tanks with mesh lids and have no issue with salt creep.  

16 hours ago, Weikel said:

Short answer is yes . Go to the forum section of this site and then click aio tanks find the 13.5 evo. It's a shorter thread bc the tank is relatively new but you can check out what some others have done with stock lighting

Happy reefing!

Thank you, I started there but they are reef and I wanted FOWLR so was excited finding this Macro catagory

Ha I didn't even notice this was in the macro section.  Fowlr lighting doesn't matter. I haven't ever grown any display macro but I know cheato grows in about any light. There is a lot of macro lovers in here though. Maybe change the title to be more macro specific I bet you will get a lot more responses