weird tentacles in live rock

Reef-r-madness5150

Reef-r-madness5150

I recently noticed one night a few (4-5) tentacles coming out of a hole in the live rock. They are whitish and very thin and retreat as soon as a turn the hood light on. They onyl seem to come out at night. Could this be aptasia I've heard about or something else?

It sounds like a rock aptasia. I've had a few of them in the past. They won't do much damage until they get really big. You can remove them by using Joe's Juice or probably any other way of killing aptasia.

are they 'striped'? brittle stars in the cracks. it means you have good rock. there are several different kinds. some have hair thin 'legs' which they send out an incredible 3-4 inches, grapping food and transfering it to thier 'hole'.

get a magnifying glass and check them out!

nalbar

Reef-r-madness5150

It's hard to get a pic since they quickly retreat once I turn on the light-they are a couple inches long and do resemble thin spaghetti. No stripes from what I can tell

They are most likely spaghetti worms from your description. They are harmless detrivores that are interesting to watch. The longer a live rock tank is set up, the more new creatures you will discover. Most are harmless and many are useful clean-up crew members.

Archived