inTank Media Baskets

Rate your LFS in the Bay area!

SSMangrove

Wow this tread went on its period and fast! I want to start off by saying I wasn't slandering anybody! Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm stating fact and opinion. Is it not true the Aquarium is an expensive store? AND when I recommend employees at the aquarium as myself, Nick, or Bob it is because those are the ones whom I personally trust to give correct information.

MANY employees regurgitate what ever they hear, they don't actually get their knowledge from reliable sources, just hear say. For instance I heard the same story 3 times about a Bala Shark swimming into the glass wall and killing itself. Just because someone heard someone talk about this happening doesn't mean every customer who asks for a bala shark must know that they're "crazy, and try to kill themselves"

I don't understand how you Gustav (Dal2kvvisp), and you DEREK (theAnemonea) can agree that I'm burning bridges? How so? It doesn't seem that you actually read my post, and if you did you got all defensive cause I didn't recommend you. I have no reason to show "loyalty" and don't even act like you do because you and I both know that this industry is about supply and demand. Which explains why all off us: Todd, Derek, Nick, and Goose shop at other stores! Remeber Goose when we split that toadstool from All about fish? Or the GSP and Zoo's at TP? And Derek you even bought frags off me, which isn't being loyal to the Aquarium at all. So you cannot talk about loyalty, ESPECIALLY DEREK.

I'm not the one stealing product from the store you work at! Don't try to justify anything cause you admited it to me. The only way I can justify the aquariums prices is to compensate for You stealing. So go tell Peggy that I shop at other stores, and that I don't have "loyalty" to the Aquarium. Peggy doesn't care and neither do I. Why don't I email this post to her now just to make it easier. And Bob got a kick out of my post because we discussed it last time I came up.

If your going to get your panties in a bunch because I called you a noob, thats just to bad. Cause I'm sick and tired of telling you every day that you shouldn't put puffers, eels, and triggers into your nano reef. Goose I don't know how you can call Bob the best around. Hes a manager at the Aquarium not a marine biologist. He didn't teach me anything unless I asked to be taught. Bob is one of the most trust worthy, and sincere individuals I have met, and it is always a pleasure working with him.

You all got brainwashed by Peggy trying to explain her high prices. The fact of the matter is. The Aquarium is expensive. WHY? Because its a LFS that caters to people just getting into the hobbie, that is why we the Aquarium charges what they do. It's because She knows that people purchase impulsively and that is how she stays in business. Weather it be because of staff, or displays. Go to All About Fish and look around a little bit, you should notice that they have a ton of reef customers in all the time! I have seen customers who I've set up their tanks shopping at AAF. How you ask? Its because people know where to get good deals, and people know when prices are to high. I'm not going to buy a Powerquad retro for $150! Or a Flame Angel for $46. I just bought a Flame Angel at Jeff's Exotic Fish for $15 last week! RBTA for $30, and Tangs for $10. Please explain to me how Peggy can fly to Hawaii as often as she does when "The aquarium is losing business"

I was cool with both of you before I left, it sucks that neither of you cannot take some constructive critism very well. Read this post again, start at the top. If you don't get defensive while reading this you will see I had no intention of pissing anyone off. It was my opinion as a reef enthusiast to tell people what I thought of LFS's in the Bay Area and thats what I did. If you question me working at the Aquarium again, I'm not sure if I want to work with employees that slander each other. I thought we were all friends but it seems that some people don't take criticism well. If you have anymore personal attacks for me say it to my face.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have got to be kidding me. I wish you would read your own thread before you go and justify your post like that. you posted "everyone else is a freshwater expert" and about those puffers and triggers, its a joke, do you really think im asking you those things seriously? You've only worked at The Aquarium for a month more than me, stop trying to sound like you know a lot more than me, do we need to remind you about your freshwater reef incident? And regardless of your opinion about the high prices and whatnot, why go after your own aquarium where you used to work at? Why Are you so eager to get back at The Aquarium for some personal issue? Another thing, i can agree with the supply and demand thing, but you go about saying it in the completely wrong way. The main thing that really got me mad about your last post was that your just adding fuel to the flames and lengthening this thread, in the wrong direction towards personal issues. Its already gone too far, as i may not be a big participating member at this forum, i am at NICO ( nissan and Infiniti Owners) and i can tell you this thread's gotten hyjacked. If you have some personal qualms about some of the employees try to bring them up to the employees, instead of bringing them up onto the internet where everyone reads them and then gets a bad image of the Aquarium, keep your opinions of other people to yourself unless you want to be critisized back. thats all i have to say.

BTW The Aquarium's 18th Anniversary sale This weekend, everyone should drop by;)

Im not getting involved or choosing sides in this one... but i will say that not only do we have justifiable high prices, we ARE also approaching our 18th anniversary sale this coming weekend. Being in business as a fish store for 18 years is proof enough that the store is a successful operation. We still get business and that is that.

edit:dal2kvvisp, i think b16a2nr was referring to THEANEMONEA when he mentioned the triggers/puffers in the reef situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased my Nanocube at Mermaid Aquarium and got started in reef keeping there. However, I cannot honestly recommend them as I've gotten information about fish and corals there and later on learned contradictory information on line from multiple sources.

However... They do have good prices on common corals and if you know what you're shopping for, ignore the staff and just get what you need.

My favorite fish hangout is Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas. Their stock is generally healthy and the staff pretty friendly and knowledgeable. That's my recommendation.

I should note that I've not been to some of the stores mentioned in this thread. I'll make it a point to try to check them out in turn given the opportunity.

Also, did anyone mention T&T Aquarium in San Jose? What do you guys think of them?

• 4 weeks later...

Can we get back to the Topic here!!!!!!

I personally don't care about your problems with one another. This should be about Rating your LFS in the Bay Area.

I'm new here, so this type of info would be very helpful. I think all responsible parties involved w/ the respective stores, should re-evaluate what they are posting. Instead of trying to defend or justify, maybe putting out what you have and let the customer decide for themselves. There isn't many stores near me, and I was an avid reef keeper. So driving to different LFS isn't a big deal. I think that "We" the consumer is smart enough to discern what we like or don't like about the LFS. I'm more intrested in the FACTS.

PLEASE, post valid information. I.E. products you specialize in, the percentage of FW to SW/Reef. And specials offered at any given time.

To all, IF you do see a new LFS this would be a great time to shout out their location.

IT's bad enough that there isn't a large selection of LFS out here, so Let's not bicker with one another. Once there is a large enough selection of LFS, then I would suggest stepping up your marketing strategy.

You better hope that a larger company doesn't try to come in and intrude on your buiness.

kimura, check the dates of those posts.

anyway, heres my statistics as my personal observations made any time within the last 5 years. The degree of accuracy is questionable and the numbers should be used for reference only.

6th avenue- 30% saltwater, 70% freshwater

The Aquarium- 60% freshwater, 40% saltwater

Concord aquarium 80% freshwater, 20% saltwater

Tropical paradise storefront- 95% saltwater 5% freshwater(dont forget the red devils)

Aquarium solutions - 100% saltwater

MY Ratings on livestock general health for saltwater - 1 star=poor, 4=excellent

6th avenue- *

The aquarium- ***

Concord Aquarium **

Tropical Paradise ***

Aquarium solutions ***

Store appearance

6th avenue-*

The Aquarium-****

Concord Aquarium-**

Tropical Paradise-**

Aquarium solutions-****

Price 1 star = cheap, 4=expensive(EDIT, thanks B16A2NR)

6th avenue-*

The aquarium-*** to ****

Concord Aquarium-**

Tropical Paradise-****

Aquarium solutions-***

The trend seems to be, the nicer the store, the nicer/healthier the livestock, the higher the price. Go figure?

Ill do more stores later, this is just a few.

YOU ARE THE MAN SSMangrove!!!!!!!!!!

That is some great work/research you've done there. I'm impressed!

I will be setting up some tanks (Work & Home) now that I'm getting settled here in the Bay, and this type of info is useful for me and maybe others.

Once I do have time, I will visit each one as to possibly purchase products for them. This, for me is my contribution to our great hobby, to keep small buisnesses up and running for as long as we can.

(Up on Soap box)

I think that us as the consumers, we must be more educated in our hobby as well as the business aspect. For us to complain about significat price hikes is justifiable, but we too must understand that if we are to continue to enjoy our somewhat exotic hobby, then we must be prepared to pay for that luxury.

We need to try and drawn in new buisness/LFS. BUT by doing that we must also re-invest into the exsisting LFS's. Also letting them (LFS) that we are here doing so.

Like the airlines says "We know that you have other choices, but thank you for chosing us" or something like that. My point is, is that they too should step up and try to provide a better price, selection, or care for the product. Because we have other choices, but we chose to purchase from here.

SS where the hell is aquarium solutions?! you should check out atlantis aquarium in fremont if you haven't yet...sooooo many nice sps, lps, and softie pieces! the owner, ming, is hella cool and pretty knowledgeable as well. small store but he has some amazing stuff. i think it's off of fremont blvd(maybe 1/8 mile off the 880 freeway).

Aquarium solutions is in the Blackhawk Shopping center plaza yoshiod. I will have to check out atlantis aq. when i get a little more money. doing car stuff right now, check gallery!

Originally posted by kimura

YOU ARE THE MAN SSMangrove!!!!!!!!!!

That is some great work/research you've done there.  I'm impressed!

I will be setting up some tanks (Work & Home) now that I'm getting settled here in the Bay, and this type of info is useful for me and maybe others.

Once I do have time, I will visit each one as to possibly purchase products for them.  This, for me is my contribution to our great hobby, to keep small buisnesses up and running for as long as we can.  

(Up on Soap box)

I think that  us as the consumers, we must be more educated in our hobby as well as the business aspect.  For us to complain about significat price hikes is justifiable, but we too must understand that if we are to continue to enjoy our somewhat exotic hobby, then we must be prepared to pay for that luxury.  

We need to try and drawn in new buisness/LFS.  BUT by doing that we must also re-invest into the exsisting LFS's.  Also letting them (LFS) that we are here doing so.  

Like the airlines says "We know that you have other choices, but thank you for chosing us" or something like that.  My point is, is that they too should step up and try to provide a better price, selection, or care for the product.   Because we have other choices, but we chose to purchase from here.

Agreed. Stores need support or they will all crumble just like Spiffys, Rons Salon, and Fish bonanza, under the fist of walmart style stores. Never heard of those stores? Of course you haven't, they were all shot and shut down by the "Starbucks" of business.

Well, I'm back in the market for another Nano for office and possibly later in the New Year(!!!) a 90g reef.

So I went over to San Ramon area to look at the new houses (pretty expensive in comparison to San Diego) So I decided to check this LFS at Concord called "all about fish". Mind you this is my first time shopping in the bay area, so my perception is off. I did like the quality of the stores corals. Not too bad......It was decent, plus they had a 20% off for December on Coral sale. The exterior and interior of the store was very nice, kinda reminds me of Jeff's exotics but better!

Not too may selection on fish, but they did have some nice display tanks. Equipment selection was ok (I'm in the market for skimmers didn't have too many of them) and the price I would say would be average (I'm accounting for the Cost of living difference). Alot of their tanks they sold were pre-drilled and fitted with an internal overflow. Overall IMPO, I would go back to check out coral and probably purchase my large dream tank.

What is it some of you may ask??? 90G Bowfront with Dark Cherry Maple color stand and Hood. Pre-drilled of course...

I heard that San Ramon is close to Black Hawk, so I plan on going over there to check out aquarium solutions.

I'll let you know.....

Mike

Mike,

Swing by THE AQUARIUM in concord (NOT CONCORD AQUARIUM). Thats where I work. Im sure that if you like the layout of all about fish you will like our store. heres the website www.theaquarium.tv in case you want directions, pics of the store, etc.. Ask for Nick, thats me, if you make it down, it would be cool to actually meet someone that posts here on these forums.

storefrontthumb.jpg

freshtanksthumb.jpg

coralsThumb.jpg

saltfishthumb.jpg

Nick, I came by yesterday but it was very busy. So I went ahead and looked around. Very nice store! Clean tanks, and specimens looked in good health. I was in line to purchase a light for my 2.5Pico, but I had forgot that I was leaving out of the country soon so I won't start that project till next month. Anyways, I'll be back and next time I'll look out for you.

Also I went out to look at Aquarium Solutions. It's located inside the mall so that threw me off a bit on trying to find it. Well, it looked fairly new. It looked more like a display rather than a LFS, not many tanks. They only had SW tanks, so that was nice! There's another Larger tank that wasn't setup yet, but looked very promising. Very nice display tanks, but very few equipment. They did have some really nice soft coral pieces kept under T-5. I'm afraid that due to it's location, the prices seemed to be a little more than what I've seen. And the pieces were large so, putting one in a Nano could fill your tank up very fast. Hopefully, they'll have more selection in all sizes (Coral) and more equipment. IMO they seemed to tailor customers with larger tanks. Although they did have a Nano setup, the corals didn't show that. Again this I believe is a new store, so I'm sure that there will be vast changes in the coming months, with our support that is.....

Cheers,

Mike

10" Red Devil

Aquarium Concepts (Hayward) **** for reef tanks

Tropical Paradise (San Leandro) **** for reef tank stock and supplies

The Aquarium (Concord) Great all around fish store. Usually healthy stock, fairly good prices. If you are a regular, you will sometimes get spectacular deals. With the exception of the owner, who always stays behind the scenes and acts like a huge snob, the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, especially Nick, Francis, and Bob. I think truly the problem with the Aquariums prices is up to the Owner who feels that your experience at the Aquarium should be like a stroll through hudsons or macy's. Weather or not that is a good idea, I cannot say, but like Nick pointed out it works, they have been in business for 18 years. They must be doing something right.

There is a place in Sacramento (not quite the bay area, but close enough), excellent freshwater, great saltwater.

lol. red devil....please let me know what store you're talking about up in sac. i think there are some decent stores but i think the BEST stores are definetly in the bay area.

10" Red Devil

yoshiod9,

Capitol Aquarium, sorry had a brain fart when I typed the previous messege.

Also they are mostly Fresh, but have some interesting Salt. The Fresh selection cannot be beat except maybe by Ocean Aquarium in SF. Man that store is Ghetto Fab, but dang does Justin get crazy Freshies!!!

Anyway enough ranting.

Take care!

6th is cheap . ..but sometimes i doubt the quality ..( well of course.. .. but then again price is cheap)

other than 6th ..i like going to lucky goldfish in oakland.

10" Red Devil

How anyone can shop at 6th for anything other then hard goods, even that should be questioned, is beyond me. I mean every tank has some sort of dead or dying animal in it. Not too mention they love to stock things that will most definitely die in anyones tank, they totally overcrowd their tanks and the poor fish are like grid lock traffic on I-880. They do nothing to educate the customer. It is so sick I once saw some people buying some fish, first off it is tottally iresponsible to let the cutomer net their own fish. Dudes this is not pay and pak like the grocery store. I once saw a person getting some fish, they netted out a lion, yellow tang, purple tang, royal gramma, some sorta angel and put them in the same container with about a pint of water!!! It is fisking absurd how they treat their livestock. They also have a bazillion Nurse Sharks which Im almost sure they dont tell their customer is the same damn 8 foot shark you see when you go to Steinhart Aquarium and ######!

One time they had a chambered nautilus in their Coral display...high light, plus warm water=######ty habitat for a chambered nautilus!! I feel incredibly sorry for the big cichlids, and catfish upstairs, they have about a 2foot red tailed catfish, full grown green terror, peacock bass, several oscars, knife fish, etc in a 100 gallon display. WTF!!! You know those fish dont sell fast enough to justify this.

Am I a bleeding heart for aquatic life, damn right I am. Animals live such very short lives in comparison to us, why shouldnt they get a better quality of life. Why do they on top of having short life spans have to put up with this ######!

I mean low prices are good but at what cost man! Jeesus people these type of places give our hobby a bad rap!

Sorry to go a little off topic, but damn that place gets me mad. I guess the only good thing I can comment on the store, is that it is open till 10pm unheard of for a fish store.

10" Red Devil

btw: The stores I rated are the only ones I have been to, which I feel deserves a rating, the other stores are all kind of a joke.

just my 2 cents.

Archived