inTank Media Baskets

Turning over a new leaf

Quixsilver

OK ladies and gents. I got my first tank as a graduation present. It was and still is an 18 gallon eclipse. Over the years I took off the hood and bought a compact light with a moonlight and a protein skimmer. I also bought a hanging filter. When I first started I lost alot of inverts. But the upgrade to lighting helped. I still lost all of my fish though. I can'ts seem to keep em alive. Anyway, I'm moving and decided to upgrade my tank to a 30 gallon. I bought a corner acrylic with a built in filter. The kind with the blue plastic balls. I think they're called biofilters. Correct me if I'm wrong. It also came with a venturi type protein skimmer. My question is, does anyone have any tips on moving? I have some mushrooms, zoos, a big honkin leather, frogspawn, brain coral, fungia??? coral, orange cup coral, foxtail (i think that's what it's called) I'll post pics later, and a crocea clam. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

you need to do alot of reding and research before you jump into sw i suugest 2-3 books and reading everything you can on nanoreef.com So dont put water in the tank yet plan it all out now get equipment now and then do it the blue balls are called bioballs it is for beneficial bacteria to grow on alyhough not all of it is beneficial do some research and see if you can turn it into a refugium post pics and read alot

I believe I have everything I need. I've had this tank since 2001. I'm a little weary about all the crap I put into it though. My lfs says I gotta put in.....Kent Buffer and Calcium everyday. I think he just wants me to buy his crap. Anyhoot I also squirt some Marine Snow and some Protoplankton every three days. Does anyone else see anything that I should be putting or not putting in my tank as far as chemicals go? I've read a bunch of threads and see that a lot of guys use other chemicals. Thanks for the knowledge.

You don't need to put buffer and calcium in everyday. Get some test kits and keep your calcium levels correct and a KH test Kit and keep your KH correct. I test my KH about twice a week and keep it around 10-12. I can't remember what PPH the calcium levels need to be between off hand I wanna say around 550 but I think its wrong. I add Reef Plus and Reef Complete every 3 days and do 5 gal water change every 15 days. The only time I need to add buffer is after I add my new water cause it lowers the KH level.

I doubt that your fish and inverts were dieing because of lighting issues. Most likely it was stuff(chemicals) you were adding. Don't use the bioballs. Most nano's don't need much in the way of additivs. Only add what you can test for and only if needed. I agree with booboo. More knowledge is needed here.

before moving stuff into your tank, you may want to reevaluate your tank maintenace routine and also plans for your new tank. for the old tank, do you know your calcium and alkalinity levels? dosing should only be done if you are measuring what you are adding to the tank. i'm pretty sure that you clam loves the calcium, but if you don't know if your low or high pouring calcium in the tank won't help. as for the new tank, it would be preferable to get it up and running before transfering over the old tank. get the substrate and lr going. take out the biofilter (prevent future nitrate factory) and get the numbers perfect. it'll make the transfer a lot less stressful to for your old inhabitants.

I am ashamed to say that I don't measure the Calcium and Alk. levels. My work schedule is whacked (firefighter) and I don't have a regular maintenance program. ETOH_is_Good do you mind if I ask what your maintanence regimen is? I'd would appreciate it greatly. As far as measuring your chemicals, what kit would you recommend?

daily, i top off water in the morning and when i get home from work. add kent superbuffer after the morning water addition because my alk levels are low. i measure my alk levels on sunday before i change water and once more during the week (salifert). friday, i start aereating di water for fresh salt water. i add salt on sat. sunday, i check pH and salinity, calcium and alk leves. change water. remove bad algae. vacum bare bottom tank. observe inhabitants nearly all the time that i'm home.

recommend water changes at least weekly. measure calc and alk at least once a week for the clam. if you really can't measure calc and alk, you may want to consider just doing soft coral.

Archived