Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do I Really need to???

damdic

I Just ordered 20lbs of LR from Gulf-View I already have 20lbs of aragonite in my tank .

My question is do I need to really buy live sand activator or can I just put my rock in on Saturday and let it run for a month or two to activate may sand.

The guy from Gulf-View(I don't remember his name) said I really need live sand because the LR is not enough filtration for a 10g tank to thrive well.

not sure what to do?

IMO, you don't really need to buy live sand. Any sand will eventually turn to live sand after a long enough period with live rock. With that being said however, I would recomend some live sand to give it a start. It is just easier and doesn't test your patience as much. This doesn't mean you need to buy it though. Adding small amounts of sand from several different already established reef tanks will give you a nicer bio diversity than pre-packaged(and expensive) live sand. See if there is a reef club in your area, most people will give you a cup or so of there sand for free. If not, see if your LFS will give you some of the sand(if there is any) or sludge from the bottom of their LR tanks. Either way good luck. By the way when you finally do get your sand live, check it out after the lights have been off for a while with a flash light, a whole different world comes to life. Pretty cool stuff!!;)

I have to disagree with bryan... LS is crutical to any reef. ONLY GOOD LS will be acceptable. when I say "LIVE" I mean Fresh from the ocean and having inverts, Annelids, copepods, amphs, micro larve and the bacterial complement a reef tank needs. A LOT of places Sell LS and say its live, but really its just bacterialy active..... This is usefull, but not best. LS from different sources is the best way to bet diversity.

The activator will help with Bio ready bacteria that will convert ammonia and nutrients in the cycle. BIOZYME or any bacteria culture (Start Right ) is great to jump start and head off any unneeded die off.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Brianc: the rock will act as an activator IF it is a seriously good quality rock... Which looking at other peoples shipments of Gulf View, it looks like it is!! What do you think of it???

Archived