Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are we over complicating tanks?

ninjamyst

30 minutes ago, ReefWeeds said:

And as for calling out members...

I don't wish to speak for Ray, but I don't really think we need to dwell too much on that post either.

It don't feel it was meant as any sort of slam on them; rather it was simply an observation of how popular they are (and as Ray stated, not undeserving).  Some people (based on their interests, online personality, frequency of posts, quality of their tanks, interactions with others...) do gain more popularity than others, who might also contribute substantially to the forum.  So it might seem a little cliquey.  I don't think there's any harm in pointing that out.  I respect Ray, Harry, and Kat so I'm not taking sides; nor feel that there is any need to.

:grouphug:

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, metrokat said:

WTF RAY!

Lol! I knew that was coming.

39 minutes ago, ReefWeeds said:

Red Sea is most definitely not a rebranded fritz product - I would be cautious about making claims like that without backing it up. 

And as for calling out members, both of which I consider good friends, good people and exceptional reefers - I don’t know how that can be taken in any sort of “nice” way. It’s like saying “no offense intended” to give reasoning why someone says something not so nice. 

Both Harry and Kat are big supporters of this forum and not “cliquey”. They’re both knowledable and continually, unselfishly help other reefers, me included. 

They are tbe opposite definition of clique actually as both are very welcoming to others and big proponents of getting others involved. 

clique
klēk,klik/
noun
  1. a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.
    synonyms: coteriesetcircleringin-crowdgroup;More

Please re read my posts pertaining to your comments. In no way did I say Red Sea was rebranded Fritz. I said probably. Also, in no way did I infer that either Harry, or Kat were clique. In fact, I called them the prom king and queen. Meaning they were very popular. People gravitate towards them. Thus, N-R has a clique element to it, too. 

Also. Settle down, Francis.

🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't wish to speak for Ray, but I don't really think we need to dwell too much on that post either.

It don't feel it was meant as any sort of slam on them; rather it was simply an observation of how popular they are (and as Ray stated, not undeserving).  Some people (based on their interests, online personality, frequency of posts, quality of their tanks, interactions with others...) do gain more popularity than others, who might also contribute substantially to the forum.  So it might seem a little cliquey.  I don't think there's any harm in pointing that out.  I respect Ray, Harry, and Kat so I'm not taking sides; nor feel that there is any need to.

:grouphug:

What he said.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2018 at 3:48 PM, Clown79 said:

No. Not so much here. Nano is like a whole different world.

Other forums. They can be very cut throat.

Especially with new hobbyists.

Wait?! There are other forums?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The term "cliquey" we tend to use doesn't necessarily have the same meaning has what it actually is. I work with middle and high school students (and lets be honest, it happens with adults), people forming groups and gravitating towards people of similar personalities and interests is an incredibly natural occurrence. 

I do it. I'm in my own clique though. You aren't allowed in...sorry...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

hey guys,

let's get back to brainstorming ideas of uncomplicating reef tanks....

first example of what not to do - @Cannedfish's IM10, anything but simple 😝

@micoastreefing is 100% correct, you definitely don’t want to be like me, not because I have questionable morals and house chickens, nor is it because my tank is overly complicated. You don’t want to be me, because I manage a reef tank much like I imagine Helen Keller flies a helicopter: terribly. ...and no, I’m not saying that because she was blind (that would be a terrible prejudice), but rather because she’s dead.  

• Haha 6

I stopped running carbon in my big tank.  Placed an order at ReefCleaners.  Doing blackout for 3-4 days.  Going to ask local reefers for some chaeto and live rock rubles to introduce more biodiversity.    Going all natural to try to fight dino. 

• Like 3

I ADMIT TO BEING CLIQUE-Y!

With everyone mostly.

There are probably ,like, 3 people I can't or won't be clique-y with. 

I'm very clique-y with @Mariaface - I drag her everywhere!

Clique-Y. Yup. I thot I was Clique-Y with Benny. Yo @jedimasterben - where you at?

Alright alright - uncomplicating complicated tanks.

Good parameters, good light, good flow, good nutrition, good export: Those are my baselines for a healthy reef that can handle itself. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
skyscraper2290

I think that this has been a great post and really helpful right when I am setting up my tank again. It really has helped reinforce to not rush the process at all and patience will pay off if your goal is a long term stable reef.

I am going to focus on keeping my tank simple. Have a skimmer but don’t plan on using it as of now. Going to rely mostly on weekly water changes for nutrient export and replenishing everything needed to keep a happy tank. 

I started with dry rock because I wanted to be able to make my own scape and put it all together outside of the tank. However I definitely understand using LR for helping to create a diverse biodiversity but I wanted to avoid unwanted HH. I did get a smaller piece of live rock from my LFS to help seed the tank and I am using the Red Sea Mature Reef starter kit for the cycle process. 

NR has always been my go to forum and thouroughly enjoy the community here and everything that you are able to learn from other reefers. When it comes down to it we all have the same goal of maintaining a successful tank even if we don’t all have the same budget or methods. I think attempting to not over complicate a tank i definitely beneficial. For ease of maintenance on tanks it’s easy to see why some people choose to add lots of equipment to a tank to help automate more of the process.&

• Like 1

I think we should contemplate why we do certain things, or use (or not use) certain equipment.  For example, why do many proclaim that they don't use a protein skimmer?  Is it to use the least amount of equipment as possible, or is it to preserve live plankton in the water column.  Does removing the dissolved organics have value to us?  We should examine the pros and cons of each piece of equipment in order to tailor our tank to fit our goals.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Lol! I knew that was coming.

Please re read my posts pertaining to your comments. In no way did I say Red Sea was rebranded Fritz. I said probably. Also, in no way did I infer that either Harry, or Kat were clique. In fact, I called them the prom king and queen. Meaning they were very popular. People gravitate towards them. Thus, N-R has a clique element to it, too. 

Also. Settle down, Francis.

🙂

I have never liked when people get picked on in forums and regardless of your intent or meaning, Harry felt he needed to justify his involvement in this forum after your post and I just feel that’s not right. So yeah - I got a little riled up.  But I honestly felt this was mean-spirited with no real need. So I took action to stand up for my friends. I don’t feel I was too sensitive or anything like that - just sticking up for my friends who I felt were singled out unfairly. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, seabass said:

I think we should contemplate why we do certain things, or use (or not use) certain equipment.  For example, why do many proclaim that they don't use a protein skimmer?  Is it to use the least amount of equipment as possible, or is it to preserve live plankton in the water column.  Does removing the dissolved organics have value to us?  We should examine the pros and cons of each piece of equipment in order to tailor our tank to fit our goals.

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, ReefWeeds said:

I have never liked when people get picked on in forums and regardless of your intent or meaning, Harry felt he needed to justify his involvement in this forum after your post and I just feel that’s not right. So yeah - I got a little riled up.  But I honestly felt this was mean-spirited with no real need. So I took action to stand up for my friends. I don’t feel I was too sensitive or anything like that - just sticking up for my friends who I felt were singled out unfairly. 

You're good people Rachel. ❤️

I beat Ray with my stick over text. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, seabass said:

For me it's mostly because I hate the way they look towering out of the AIO return chamber...otherwise I would run one (although I don't think it's necessary, neither is 95% of the equipment I have).  

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, ReefWeeds said:

Does sound like @HarryPotter needs a girlfriend though.  Should we chip in and get him on Match.com or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Last time for secret Santa,  @Sancho sent me a sex toy. Does that count? 

Hey at least this thread got interesting again 😉

Love all you you peeps but after the first few pages it kinda felt like(see below) ,and yes I did keep clicking it every time to see what all of the cliquey people had to say 🤣aka pro reefers.. HAPPY FRIDAY

beat-dead-horse-gif-5.gif

• Haha 5