Top Shelf Aquatics

My algae turned pink! Eek!

Aurortpa

Hi Reefers...so I'm relatively new with keeping blue ochtodes macro algae, but it was flourishing really well.  I had maybe a quarter sized piece and now it's as big a half a bill.  However, I saw some possible bryopsis that had maybe hitchhiked on it.  The macro is pretty delicate so scrubbing was out of the question--had no choice but to dip it all.  Just in case, I fragged a tiny piece to save.

Dipped in 50/50 solution of display water and 3% peroxide for about 5 minutes.  It appears the bryposis responded very well, by dying that is.  The blue ochtodes appeared to be unaffected to my surprise.  However, the next morning it's now a very different color than blue, it's definitely pink--under actinics, BRIGHT PINK.  I know enough that means it is stressed but that's about it.  It doesn't appear to be melting, turning white, or disintegrating tho.  Do you think there's a chance it may recover...perhaps some of the pigmentation is just under stress of the dip?  

Anybody with experience or any feedback appreciated! 😄

IMG_7165.thumb.JPG.0a76586aa948b68a0eb33b3b7a40befd.JPG

The tips are definitely damaged.  However, that doesn't mean that this algae mass is doomed.  Often the thicker branches will survive.  However, you might have to trim off the affected areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow that’s very pink lol... I’m thinking this might be toast if it doesn’t revert in a couple days. Anybody want some extremely rare pink ochtodes? Jk 😂

B7404D6E-719C-4FFC-91CC-CCAB9027E717.thumb.jpeg.51e85cbb53107ea7a3ab69444d27ff67.jpeg

• Haha 1

Be sure it is dead.  However, spores in the water can possible reproduce.  

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm

The genus Rhodophyta is the largest and most diverse group of tropical and temperate marine algae with more than 2,000 species worldwide. Their dominant pigment is phycoerythrin, which gives off rich shades of red, orange and blue. Red macro algae are some of the most varied and striking of all marine algae and are highly sought after as aquarium specimens. Identification can be difficult in some species, such as Gracilaria, and some have slight variations depending on the location and depth. Although this index is not a complete listing, it represents species that are commonly available or sought after by marine aquarists. As new species become available to the industry they will be added.

• Like 1

Well it was either sacrifice one or possibly let bryopsis take over the tank. Ive got the itty bitty frag so I’ll just have to wait a bit!

In the meantime I will nuke that entire rock the original macro was on, just to be sure the bryopsis is a gonner before starting a new frag on it.  🙂