Top Shelf Aquatics

I think I hate my cleaner shrimp...

Jono

This thing is freaking obnoxious. I love watching him, but when it comes to feeding time, specifically corals,  I want to kill him (not really, but sort of). Greedy little son of a gun. Anyone else relate to this? 

• Haha 1

Mr Cleaner Shrimp is just very serious about taking care of ALL these things you put in the tank, lol.

You can make a cheap shield like I use--cut off top third of a plastic cocacola bottle. 

Just bait him and contain him in the sand bed till you're done feeding.

image1.thumb.jpeg.5b438d69b5ff16acac32e459de5467e9.jpeg

Only reason I don’t have one this time around. Like them a lot but don’t want them stealing food. I don’t have any problems with my hermits though. They are all model citizens.

2 hours ago, nicholc2 said:

Only reason I don’t have one this time around. Like them a lot but don’t want them stealing food. I don’t have any problems with my hermits though. They are all model citizens.

I found my hermits waited till night to stick their grubby claws into my corals’ mouths—they went to the LFS after that.

• 1 month later...

I despise skunk cleaners.  They are the crack addicts of the sea.  I went with a fire shrimp for my tank this time around because they are a lot more 'shy' and scared of everything. 😄  Mine hasn't stolen food yet but he still acts like a crackhead when I drop pellets in the tank.  Once he gets one though he bolts back to his hidey hole and nom's down and leaves everything and everyone else alone.

• Haha 1

I'd rather they eat it than not. When I target feed reef roids soaked in phyto feast to my corals, there always winds up being plenty left over to share with the CUC. There's something satisfying about seeing all of the crabs and snails going "all hands on deck" after a feeding session. Our one tiger pistol shrimp is a fairly new addition to the tank and has yet to calm down enough to emerge with people about. 

The biggest issue people have with them is their aggressiveness to steal food from coral.  They have been known to rip right into the flesh of coral mouths to steal pellets from inside their stomachs for example.