Top Shelf Aquatics

Aqua SD Review

Jono

Just wanted to say thanks so much for some awesome corals. I ordered a bunch of stuff off their "Presale-sale" and am extremely pleased with what I got. Everything is happy and looking good. Some pretty good sized frags too, I was honestly expecting tiny little things but I got some good chunks, as well as a freebie. Thanks again! I will be ordering from you guys again. 

• Like 2

I also got a number of items in the sale. Communication was great, shipping was fast and everything was well packaged. I was actually disappointed by the size of most of the corals I got. I was expecting slightly larger frags (mine were mostly TINY), but that is not their fault. I chalk that one up to my misguided expectations. Adding a "freebie" is a nice touch, even if I have no idea what it is yet. I will definitely order again in the future.

26 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

I also got a number of items in the sale. Communication was great, shipping was fast and everything was well packaged. I was actually disappointed by the size of most of the corals I got. I was expecting slightly larger frags (mine were mostly TINY), but that is not their fault. I chalk that one up to my misguided expectations. Adding a "freebie" is a nice touch, even if I have no idea what it is yet. I will definitely order again in the future.

What kind of corals did you order? Maybe that has something to do with it, although I'm sure a lot of it is just random. The frags I got were at least double the sized of the frags I recently got from WWC.  (not bashing WWC though, their corals are also awesome). 

I got Blastos, micromussa, acans, galaxea, leptastrea, favia, and zoas. Most are maybe 1/4". Like I said, I just expected them to be bigger. This was my first time ordering frags online, so I don't think I had realistic expectations. I have always purchased locally and always got larger frags doing so.

A Little Blue

1/4”??? That’s not the sizes I usually get. 1” is probably the smallest one that I have ever got from ASD. My latest shipment was anywhere from 1.75” to 3” frags. 

46 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

I got Blastos, micromussa, acans, galaxea, leptastrea, favia, and zoas. Most are maybe 1/4". Like I said, I just expected them to be bigger. This was my first time ordering frags online, so I don't think I had realistic expectations. I have always purchased locally and always got larger frags doing so.

Ordering online will do that. Happened to me the first time I ordered online, too. Was surprised, but expect it now. They may be smaller but there are way more options and better colors to choose from, at least for me. 

A Little Blue

WWC frags are a whole lot smaller on their eBay than directly from their webpage. Second, expensive coral frags are usually smaller than other corals from the same family. It’s a common practice.  And lastly, don’t buy into this made up fancy names. Corals on line will most likely look different in your tank. Besides, most of these fancy names are cooked under blue light for several weeks before getting to costumers. 

Ofcause some corals will keep their colors regardless of the light spectrum and light intensity (except extremely poor lighting).  

Most of my corals came with a name attached to it. I couldn’t tell you which one is which. I simply don’t care enough to participate in fancy naming games. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

1/4”??? That’s not the sizes I usually get. 1” is probably the smallest one that I have ever got from ASD. My latest shipment was anywhere from 1.75” to 3” frags. 

That Is what I expected. From the photos I was assuming the frag plugs were standard 1" plugs with roughly 3/4" frags, but they are 1/2" plugs with very small frags

29 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

WWC frags are a whole lot smaller on their eBay than directly from their webpage. Second, expensive coral frags are usually smaller than other corals from the same family. It’s a common practice.  And lastly, don’t buy into this made up fancy names. Corals on line will most likely look different in your tank. Besides, most of these fancy names are cooked under blue light for several weeks before getting to costumers. 

Ofcause some corals will keep their colors regardless of the light spectrum and light intensity (except extremely poor lighting).  

Most of my corals came with a name attached to it. I couldn’t tell you which one is which. I simply don’t care enough to participate in fancy naming games. 

I don't get hyped by the "name game". I don't care what someone decides to name a coral. If I like to coral I will get it.

• Like 1
A Little Blue

“Live Fish” sticker works as ppl are usually more sensitive to package with “live animals” on it and try to use more caution while handeling by default. 

PS from 60 corals in my tank, I can probably name a dozen, if that. 

Mostly, I make up my own names as corals in my tank color up totally different than original, vendor pictures or general description. 

• Recommended Discussions