SaltCritters.com

fiddler crab? needs land? help

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

hi, I bought a fiddler crab from my lfs yesterday and the guy said he was a great member of the cuc. he looked pretty interesting and I usually trust them, so I went ahead and bought one. I'm reading everywhere now and I keep reading that they aren't fully aquatic and that they need an area of land to rest on. my questions is this true? and also, if so, is it 110% for sure a fiddler crab? I'm nervous now that he's going to die. I have a 36 gallon reef if that helps. any help is appreciated. thanks.

IMG_20180904_200410.jpg

The long eyestalks lead me to believe it is a fiddler, or at least closely related. 

I see fiddlers in abundance in the salt marshes around where I live. They actually don't spend any time in the water. They have a burrow dug below the high tide line and spend time on land at low tide. 

They plug their burrows with mud and wait out the high tide as not to drown. 

Is there any way to return it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
anniebanana267

thank you all for your help. unfortunately she died last night in my hands actually. I was moving her over because I had to clean something inside the tank and as I held her on the palm of my hands she moved a little and then fell over. r.i.p little fiddler i feel so bad :c

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, anniebanana267 said:

thank you all for your help. unfortunately she died last night in my hands actually. I was moving her over because I had to clean something inside the tank and as I held her on the palm of my hands she moved a little and then fell over. r.i.p little fiddler i feel so bad :c

Sorry to hear that.  😞 

Do not trust that LFS again. Do your own research. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1