Top Shelf Aquatics

Power Bar for IM stand?

TatorTaco

Has anyone done this before? I have a Fusion 20 on an IM stand. Trying to figure out how to use my power bar to easily turn on/off equipment. 

Cant afford a controller. 

Do you have it secured for easy access in your tank?  If so, where did you put it?  I'm struggling to find a good area to put it where it's easy to access and start flipping switches. 

1 minute ago, TatorTaco said:

Do you have it secured for easy access in your tank?  If so, where did you put it?  I'm struggling to find a good area to put it where it's easy to access and start flipping switches. 

I have it secured to the side in my daughter’s stand... it has screw holes on the back. It’s still just sitting on the floor for my other tank because I just started using it a couple weeks ago (of course with drip loops). Not familiar with the type of stand you have though...

Currently have an IM Nuvo 20 stand.  I'm wondering if it's possible to build a box on the back that slides out.  Kind of like.... a kitchen utensil drawer - but on it's side.  Does that make sense? 

Since the drawer is split into quarters, I wonder if I could create a system where one quarter of the tank is simply filled with wires and stuff, but it's hidden behind a false wall where the power switches would be easy to reach.  I really like that idea, but have no idea what magic keywords Google needs to find images of that.  

Here's a link for the stand:  http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/fusion20.html

Since IM released the APS stand, I believe they also discontinued the model of the stand I have.  I'll try to take a few pictures tonight, but it'll be late before they're up.  Was getting ready for bed and the garbage disposal fell out of the sink. Looks like it kinda screws in place?  I've got to figure that out first. 

• Wow 1

Ah thinking you may be on FB too... were you in the discussion today where the guy showed how he mounted a wooden box on a drawer glider in his cabinet... looks good and like it just needs a second glider to keep it stable. 

Much nicer than what I’m doing with my daughter’s freshwater and my tanks:

C5CB6E3B-7959-4E30-98B6-F78F27DA7EB9.jpeg

48E339A0-E281-452B-B6F5-F8BEDD229916.jpeg

D940E443-ED1A-4446-96BF-D7A698AAF4E7.jpeg

I did see that FB posts!  

I think my issue is that my power switch will be too long to fit inside the cabinet.  I've found a similar DJ power switch I'm interested in that is only 4 switches instead of 8, so I'll get 2 and stack them.  Now that I have a decent idea that might work, I'll plan it out and might have installed in the next few weeks.  Pretty excited about it now. 

38 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I did see that FB posts!  

I think my issue is that my power switch will be too long to fit inside the cabinet.  I've found a similar DJ power switch I'm interested in that is only 4 switches instead of 8, so I'll get 2 and stack them.  Now that I have a decent idea that might work, I'll plan it out and might have installed in the next few weeks.  Pretty excited about it now. 

That sounds good! Love to see some pics   of whatever you come up with. 

I’m not sure how it would fit but I (and several others) use an American DJ pc-100 as a surge protector and easily accessible switches. I mounted my under our kitchen counter and i

dont see why it couldn’t be mounted in the APS stand. 

Here’s a terrible picture of how mine is mounted for an idea. 

39DF7766-54A5-453B-B419-E392C05FC4BC.jpeg

CEBA3CD2-1669-44F8-93F4-47FCC5361E85.png

• TatorTaco changed the title to Power Bar for IM stand?

After looking into it, I don't have the APS stand, I have the previous model from IM (the MDF).  @Cannedfish, I have the exact same power bar.  I'm thinking about securing it somehow to the back/side of the tank and I'll just step to the side to turn stuff off.  

I'm just going to keep reefing until I can think of a better solution.