Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jack's 10 year old 20g Tall

jservedio

I had my first setback with the tank in more than 2 years of it being stable - my ATO had a mis-fire and dumped about 2.5g of Kalk saturated RODI into my sump a few weeks ago. Thankfully, with the salinity dropping, the Alk didn't get out of hand, and I keep my Alk pretty low to begin with, so hopefully I won't lose anything over the next 2-3 months. Let everything evaporate back to normal and things are still looking good.

My WWC Yellow tips is blasting off with growth up top through this and put on a few new branches. My Pinky the Bear also blasted the monti-cap that was encroaching on it and killed off about a full inch back with it's looong polyps.

yellow-tips.thumb.jpg.1d8421c1c7add07badfefc61d84faf04.jpg

• Wow 1

The $15 brown acan I picked up continues to color up even more. This is definitely the best luck I've had coloring up an ugly coral. Have it glued down and in just a couple months it's gotten a lot bigger and a lot more colorful.

acan-colored-up.thumb.jpg.79abe2c0be1583f571de0d63cd45b5eb.jpg

When I bought it 2 months ago (center):

20190122_134032.thumb.jpg.4eadeec215a4479a462ba827be78c37c.jpg

• Like 3

The rock I took out of my pico a few years ago is looking awesome too! My Micromussa Amakusensis is growing faster than ever and I'm hoping my red lords are able to recover before they get overtaken! All of the dinos from my last picture of this rock are gone as well.

pico-rock-20-2.thumb.jpg.9362edbd28250c5ebffd9d8df4f54b74.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Wow @jservedio, I'm so glad to hear the ATO misfire didn't lead to disaster 😳

Everything looks to be doing great nonetheless! That micromussa amakusensis is gorgeous, so vibrant. Fun to see the brown acan coloring up too, I love that those anonymous brown frags can have so much potential under better conditions!

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow @jservedio, I'm so glad to hear the ATO misfire didn't lead to disaster 😳

Everything looks to be doing great nonetheless! That micromussa amakusensis is gorgeous, so vibrant. Fun to see the brown acan coloring up too, I love that those anonymous brown frags can have so much potential under better conditions!

Thanks Chris! We'll see how it goes over the next few months.

That micromussa is crazy vibrant - normally I just take pictures off the camera, set the WB and share them. With this coral, I have to pretty heavily de-saturate the pictures and crank the recovery just so it's not wildly overexposed. It's not a big colony or anything even though it's around 80 polyps (maybe 3" across), but it's the first thing you see looking at the tank from afar.

• 3 weeks later...

Another two months of growth for a FTS:

2019-04-22_fts.thumb.jpg.ee8902144bfbcdd8110698e47091e396.jpg

My SPS up top are all settling in after a few months and starting to grow some more. Moved my stupidly placed monti cap down low and added a strangely growing ugly green acro in its place:

20190422_160825.thumb.jpg.f7f8417475d2e80238a2c47668a5c530.jpg

My slimer-looking acro also got into a fight with an encroaching monti confusa (or spongodes - don't really know) and as always happens, the monti got it's ass kicked by the acro. Thankfully very little damage:

20190419_155437.thumb.jpg.50af5bcccc8cd4a184e34bf16f2ba4e9.jpg

• Like 3

Another DIY project for the reef - decided to make my tank look less janky and make a background. Broke out my wife's scrapbooking paper and paper cutter and made myself a nice background. No more looking at crooked PVC piping and wires hanging down the back panel.

background.thumb.jpg.9df0019a4fe5053ed326d748b40537f7.jpg

• Like 2

Well, all three of the $15 acans I grabbed have colored up a ton and are all growing fast! My LFS is apparently just terrible at keeping acans colored up.

acan-garden.thumb.jpg.f694a264bbaa3d83bc534e7dcd30d5bc.jpg

From this just a few months ago

20190122_134032.thumb.jpg.4eadeec215a4479a462ba827be78c37c.jpg

• Like 2

Also got a picture of this little indestructible pocillopora that has somehow been hanging on for quite a long time while literally acting as a home for four anemones that are all bigger than it and constantly sting it (hence the algae growing over dead skeleton). Hang on little guy.

indestructible_pocci.thumb.jpg.3ae56a8654ad49433a93956db6a7c69e.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
jservedio

My Hollywood Stunner is fully colored up and pretty much always polyps out, even during the day. The inside of the polyps have an awesome orange rim. If I poke it, it looks exactly the same as every other boring hollywood stunner.

stunner-colors.thumb.jpg.4654d33a6a72fcb54ab413396a43e75b.jpg

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Nothin' janky about them coral!  Everything is beautiful.

Thank you! Everything in the tank just feels so disjointed and scattered about. All of my individual corals look really good - especially the one's I've had for 4-8 years, and I've got them positioned to not kill each other, but when you step back, it just looks bad in my opinion.

• Like 2

One of my Acros and Monti's went back to war today and I happened to have my DSLR out instead of my phone and was able to get a super cool shot of this acro laying the smackdown on my monti.

acro-vs-monti.thumb.jpg.43d087f9e0e97ed48d74689a76df7fc3.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of a couple colonies I give a little less love to since I've had them both forever and neither look very special from far away.

echinata-recover.thumb.jpg.6c68f77a01991d02312cc63fe11fe7bb.jpg

This acan echinata I've had for at least 6 or 7 years now and it's been through the wringer as you can see from it's shape. It's majorly receded and grown over itself 3 times, it's bleached twice, and just in the last 6 months it's starting to regain it's color. When it's at it's best, it's pretty incredible. Not quite there yet!

blastos.thumb.jpg.24000f348422e865d8149d9f8d2f2b0b.jpg

This colony of blastos has also had a hard time and is starting to recover a bit. I've had them for about 5 years now and picked them up when I got my wrasse and they are currently the size of a fist. The only issue is they receded in the back a few years ago, so it's missing a bunch of polyps where you can't see!

• Like 2

Was able to get a halfway decent shot of my old lady clown. She's big, fat, really mean, and I can rarely get a picture of her because as soon as I get close to the tank, she is looking to fight me.

lady-clown.thumb.jpg.b4eb22ab760d1eb98a822942f76f5783.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My favia seems to be doing really well and is starting to take off with growth. Grew this one from a small frag about 4 years ago and it's been through the ringer like most of the LPS in my tank. Was all two-tone green when I got it, but I'm getting a decent amount of purple in there now and the new growth in the shade is shwoing some really nice pink lines. Hopefully that keeps going.

favia.thumb.jpg.6e15a030dd80241daa8367c9e7a0e3ff.jpg

• Like 1