Coral Vue Hydros

Potter's 300µL micro-reef

HarryPotter

So I was refilling the ATO reservoir overnight, and apparently my dad tried to disconnect the RODI line from the float valve by pulling on it. He couldn't get it out, but apparently this caused a connection to start leaking... and after about a gallon of water, set off my $5.99 water alarms. 

Anyway, I have the green light to get the LDK module!!! Lol 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

So I was refilling the ATO reservoir overnight, and apparently my dad tried to disconnect the RODI line from the float valve by pulling on it. He couldn't get it out, but apparently this caused a connection to start leaking... and after about a gallon of water, set off my $5.99 water alarms. 

Anyway, I have the green light to get the ALD module!!! Lol 

What's the ald module?  

I'm not familiar with which one you have... is your leak detector a rope looking thing that is a 1 time use, or can you reset it and use it reliably again?

8 minutes ago, patback said:

What's the ald module?  

I'm not familiar with which one you have... is your leak detector a rope looking thing that is a 1 time use, or can you reset it and use it reliably again?

Oh I should have said LDK; my bad. Leak detection kit, comes with the module and two sensors. The module has 4 ports so you could add a flow sensor or optical sensor in the spare 2. 

I currently have a cheap leak detector off amazon; it just screams when it detects water.

• Like 1

Stopped by PerfectCorals with my dad and picked up a ricorida colony  for a great price. Every time we go there, we are super impressed with the pricing.... in this case, $80 for a ricordia colony that has at least 6 huge ones (more than 2” across) as well as  bunch of smaller ones. 

Its a purple base color, with green and orange bubbles

View from the front: 

zVFmgA0.jpg

View from the side:

wOx7V76.jpg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

Nice pickup on the ric’s. 

Could BTA baby be a pice of tissue re growing?

Negatuve on that— it’s more than a foot from the closest BTA. Thanks re ricoridaia; it’s in the corner of the tank and draws the eye from two sides 🙂 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Nice pick ups harry. Where did you get them from? DD again?

Yep! Always DD. I’ve been thrilled with the quality from there.

the dragonet seems confused; he’s chilling out halfway up the overflow box

enUZBli.jpg

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
28 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I add fish like this after acclimating. They typically hang out in my hand for a minute, and then swim off 🙂 

Xu3GlZ6.jpg

Lol I thought I was the only one that did that. I was really happy with the blenny purchase I made. He's been a great fish so far, wish he wasn't scared though. He's coming around, but does still dart away.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Lol I thought I was the only one that did that. I was really happy with the blenny purchase I made. He's been a great fish so far, wish he wasn't scared though. He's coming around, but does still dart away.

Lol, I do that too. They seem to stay a lot calmer than they do in a net.

I also like to turn off the lights and release them when it's darker.

Harry, things are looking good! I love that dragonet.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah that makes sense..I try to think what would freak me out if I was the fish and a net just seems scary. Plus you don't have to worry about the fins getting stuck in the net.

• Like 1

So..... I got a maricultured colony for this tank. But I didnt get it just for the colony itself.... but rather the 5-8 Acro crabs inside!! I love symbiotic relationships. 

I attached a photo of the crab, and then also the colony. Not sure which I like more!!!

8KcSE0D.jpg

Xj1IVis.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
On 1/3/2019 at 11:09 AM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ive seen him peeking out, but he hasnt swum around yet. The other new fish (Blenny, dragonet, other wrasse) are eating away though! 

14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I also like to turn off the lights and release them when it's darker.

Harry, things are looking good! I love that dragonet.

Thanks Teeny! Hopefully the dragonet isn't invisible in a 300 haha

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

So..... I got a maricultured colony for this tank. But I didnt get it just for the colony itself.... but rather the 5-8 Acro crabs inside!! I love symbiotic relationships. 

I attached a photo of the crab, and then also the colony. Not sure which I like more!!!

8KcSE0D.jpg

Xj1IVis.jpg

I'm guessing those are good crabs? I thought most crabs eat the acros? I'm not a sps guy yet so I have no clue what i'm talking about lol.

edit: that crab is awesome looking by the way

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Ive seen him peeking out, but he hasnt swum around yet. The other new fish (Blenny, dragonet, other wrasse) are eating away though! 

Good, I'm glad everything is doing well for you :smilie:

2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm guessing those are good crabs? I thought most crabs eat the acros? I'm not a sps guy yet so I have no clue what i'm talking about lol.

Good, I'm glad everything is doing well for you :smilie:

Acro crab! Super amazing little guy. They have a symbiotic relationship with acropora; they live within the branches, safe from predators, and help the acropora by eating any little pest or bit of algae within the colony.  

Algae growing in an acropora colony is SUPER bad; it'll cause RTN and a good portion of the time kill the whole thing.  Acropora crabs keep that at bay. I am THRILLED to have them! 

Here is (a lot of) information:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022098116301228

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Acro crab! Super amazing little guy. They have a symbiotic relationship with acropora; they live within the branches, safe from predators, and help the acropora by eating any little pest or bit of algae within the colony.  

Algae growing in an acropora colony is SUPER bad; it'll cause RTN and a good portion of the time kill the whole thing.  Acropora crabs keep that at bay. I am THRILLED to have them! 

Wow that's really awesome, thanks for that little bit of knowledge. I'm itching to try some, but I think otherwise when I go to actually grab one.

I think my concern is how much alk and cal they use..

15 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

8KcSE0D.jpg

Xj1IVis.jpg

Can they “travel” to other colonies? 

Beautiful colony btw. 

Ive seen them on LA/DD. neat little critters. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Can they “travel” to other colonies? 

Beautiful colony btw. 

Ive seen them on LA/DD. neat little critters. 

Hmm I suppose logically they must be able to travel, but that’s definitely risky for em. I hope I have enough to form a self-sustaining population; that would be sick.

Though if they travel, they may be wrasse food LOL 

Got in the LDK (leak detection kit) from Marine Depot; easy enough to install; plug it in and its done. One sensor on either side of the stand. 

Of course, now that we have the FMM module, its tempting to get a return-pump flow sensor LOL. But our primary return tubing is 1.5", a size that Apex doesn't make.  So no monitoring that 😢. Though I guess I could put a 2" to 1.5" adapter on both sides of the sensor... But that would be big. 

EenksA4.png

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Potter's 300µL micro-reef