Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Potter's 300µL micro-reef

HarryPotter

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Aw crap!  At least it's not mid summer or mid winter, so I suppose there's a slight chance that a couple might survive.  Plus, you should get a credit for that part of the order; and you've gotten practice at bringing corals back from the dead.  I hope all is not lost.

Fish, not corals :(. Two tangs and some cardinals from liveaquaria. 

Right now i am drip acclimating the fish tht did arrive- the divers den ones. 

LA’s water is 1.026, which is great to know :) 

7 minutes ago, specore said:

I'm only 15 minutes away from UPS Worldport.  Too bad I can't grab them for you

It says “out for delivery” in Kentucky. Ugh. Oh well. The larger part of the order from divers den did come in looking really good

Update:

The second pair of clowns looks good so far. They are on opposite sides of the 8 foot tank, I love it. Occasionally one of the new ones goes to the other side and then rushes back. 

Have a BIG, ~8”, beautiful BTA coming from @Cultivated Reef. That’s going to be beautiful! 

Tangs all look good... not to jinx myself. Swimming around eating the algae that’s grown from triton. 

@seabass how do you like this idea: instead of feeding tangs dry algae constantly, dose triton and let them eat the algae that grows the display! Haha

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

It says “out for delivery” in Kentucky. Ugh. Oh well. The larger part of the order from divers den did come in looking really good

Sometimes their tracking gets messed up.  Hopefully they caught a later flight and will make it today.  

• Like 1

I personally would call UPS.  They should be on one of these flights and you may be able to pick them up even if they won't have a driver delivering this evening. 

image.png.fcfd3e20e5d7673f90bcb7220b269774.png

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, specore said:

I personally would call UPS.  They should be on one of these flights and you may be able to pick them up even if they won't have a driver delivering this evening. 

image.png.fcfd3e20e5d7673f90bcb7220b269774.png

On hold, raising hell. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Fish, not corals :(. Two tangs and some cardinals from liveaquaria.

Oh, that's right.  I forgot about the tangs.  Yeah, more ammonia and less oxygen. :sad:  Poor guys.

You do have bad luck with fish.

• Sad 2

When I ordered live rock from TBS, it got shipped to the wrong state because they just put the overflow into another plane. They had to take a plane back the next morning. I hope the fish are ok. Can you pick them up directly from the airport?

• Wow 1
9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hopefully the fish will be ok Harry. Sucks when things go wrong and you have no control over it to fix it. 

Whats worse is if they arrive tomorrow..... do I put them into the tank if they are in bad condition? That is just tempting a big ich/disease breakout. If they come tomorrow, I don't know what I will do.

55 minutes ago, Sean1123 said:

When I ordered live rock from TBS, it got shipped to the wrong state because they just put the overflow into another plane. They had to take a plane back the next morning. I hope the fish are ok. Can you pick them up directly from the airport?

Still in Kentucky 😞 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Whats worse is if they arrive tomorrow..... do I put them into the tank if they are in bad condition? That is just tempting a big ich/disease breakout. If they come tomorrow, I don't know what I will do.

Yeah true..I'd be concerned about ammonia once you open that bag. I have read that the ammonia will be high as soon as air is exposed so you may have to temp acclimate and then get them out of that water as soon as possible. Maybe a little prime to help with the ammonia levels??

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah true..I'd be concerned about ammonia once you open that bag. I have read that the ammonia will be high as soon as air is exposed so you may have to temp acclimate and then get them out of that water as soon as possible. Maybe a little prime to help with the ammonia levels??

If they come tomorrow I wouldn't put them in the tank. (Depending on how they look?) Too much time and money invested in there to put in fish that are susceptible to disease. I would put them into my reefer 350 for a while- I just have clowns which should be pretty resistant to disease. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

If they come tomorrow I wouldn't put them in the tank. (Depending on how they look?) Too much time and money invested in there to put in fish that are susceptible to disease. I would put them into my reefer 350 for a while- I just have clowns which should be pretty resistant to disease. 

Very good idea. I still hope everything looks ok. Can you get a refund if they do die or something like that? I haven't gotten any animals online before so I don't know how that all works. I would imagine they would take care of you though.

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Very good idea. I still hope everything looks ok. Can you get a refund if they do die or something like that? I haven't gotten any animals online before so I don't know how that all works. I would imagine they would take care of you though.

Everything has 14 day guarantee, if anything dies within that period you send them a photo and they refund you. Thats how you know that they take care of their critters IMO, they guarantee their health. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Everything has 14 day guarantee, if anything dies within that period you send them a photo and they refund you. Thats how you know that they take care of their critters IMO, they guarantee their health. 

I have been temped a bunch of times to order something online but i haven't pulled the trigger yet. The lfs I go to they actually have all independent tanks. They don't have one system that runs the whole show so it's nice. I have seen a few tanks that they use as a quarantine though. They keep the tanks pretty clean. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I have been temped a bunch of times to order something online but i haven't pulled the trigger yet. The lfs I go to they actually have all independent tanks. They don't have one system that runs the whole show so it's nice. I have seen a few tanks that they use as a quarantine though. They keep the tanks pretty clean. 

I have had a ton of success buying things online for freshwater. Not sure if it's different for saltwater because most of the freshwater fish are grown in disease free hatcheries. I usually have to pay as much money on medicine as I would have on shipping with lfs fish

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Sean1123 said:

I have had a ton of success buying things online for freshwater. Not sure if it's different for saltwater because most of the freshwater fish are grown in disease free hatcheries. I usually have to pay as much money on medicine as I would have on shipping with lfs fish

I almost got to the point of buying my cichlids online because a couple of the stores around here never had makes that I wanted. Then my tank kinda just worked and hadn't added fish in over a year.

1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I almost got to the point of buying my cichlids online because a couple of the stores around here never had makes that I wanted. Then my tank kinda just worked and hadn't added fish in over a year.

Same here. I fishless cycled my 60 gallon and filled it with a bunch of Tanganyikan cichlids. Didn't have one die for about 2 years until just a few days ago :(. 

• Sad 1

This is the very reason I won't use UPS, FedEx or USPS to ship ANYTHING perishable. Airport to airport Southwest NFG. Out of 10 shipments I did with them they managed to screw up 6 of them.

• Like 1

First true photos!!  Under just the T5s, from this morning. Will try to get better spectrums later. 

Overall: 

WYrnEDV.jpg

The right side:

Right side has a bunch of sticks from BattleCorals. They have all been encrusting like mad, and have great PE. The structure here is pretty much complete. 

1zX0mtq.jpg

Here is a slightly closer photo- most sticks are jammed in rock rather than permanently attached, so placement is changeable. 

myK1tpo.jpg

The middle: 

The structure here is not necessary finalized- its a rough idea. I just got in that anemone from @Cultivated Reef and it is big right out of the bag! It will probably blow up to ~7 inches wide by my guess! Tons of green too, and a fantastic price. 

Up top will be more sticks, the Montipora placement is temporary. I like where the frogspawn is. 

hJasXVb.jpg

hJasXVb.jpg

This is ~20 minutes after addicting it to the tank. Ridiculous! It's going to be a real centerpiece. 

tsqwNzR.jpg

The left side structure is still in progress. I intend to make a column from the top of that structure down to the base rock in front of it, similar to what I did on the right side. There is not a ton of depth available to me, especially near that overflow. 

2nh5zOK.jpg

Equipment remains the same. Oversized skimmer, UV, refugium, and a loaded-apex setup. Everything is programmed and connected properly so that it is unbelievably easy to operate. 

I press a button, and the feed mode sequence starts. Another button puts on a nice spectrum for 10 minutes to show guests the tank if the lights are off. The stand lights turn on automatically when you open the stand. 

I have yet to organize the dosing stuff; everything is shoved in there.

bUoVMbb.jpg

The left side WAS organized, but has changed a bit so wiring  needs to be fixed again. 

There is kind-of-design flaw (one of several) with the sump. The sock holders are mounted TOO low, so that if you want to use socks or filter cups the refugium water level is pretty low. Not a big deal, but annoying given I could have more volume in there.

nstzVrp.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

hey, can you use flickr instead of imgur?  Wanna follow your album....

Nobody uses flickr anymore, all the cool kids are Imgurians. 😉

Damn nice job yougin'.

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

hey, can you use flickr instead of imgur?  Wanna follow your album....

I have never tried Flickr- I'll look later. Imgur is just super easy for me; uploads direct from my phone and the direct links work here. I could make my posts on Imgur to public so that you could look at my profile? Right now they are "hidden" which just works for links. 

3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I have never tried Flickr- I'll look later. Imgur is just super easy for me; uploads direct from my phone and the direct links work here. I could make my posts on Imgur to public so that you could look at my profile? Right now they are "hidden" which just works for links. 

welp, if they're all the same, maybe it is like you said, your album is just not public at this time.  I guess it's your pic, do what u want 🙂

• HarryPotter changed the title to Potter's 300µL micro-reef