Coral Vue Hydros

Potter's 300µL micro-reef

HarryPotter

6 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Nobody uses flickr anymore, all the cool kids are Imgurians. 😉

Damn nice job yougin'.

Thanks Stinky. The BTA I added has already managed to get onto my main rockwork LOL. Oh well, it'll go where it'll go. 

Bumping the new photos to the new page 🙂 

Overall: 

WYrnEDV.jpg

The right side:

Right side has a bunch of sticks from BattleCorals. They have all been encrusting like mad, and have great PE. The structure here is pretty much complete. 

1zX0mtq.jpg

Here is a slightly closer photo- most sticks are jammed in rock rather than permanently attached, so placement is changeable. 

myK1tpo.jpg

The middle: 

The structure here is not necessary finalized- its a rough idea. I just got in that anemone from @Cultivated Reef and it is big right out of the bag! It will probably blow up to ~7 inches wide by my guess! Tons of green too, and a fantastic price. 

Up top will be more sticks, the Montipora placement is temporary. I like where the frogspawn is. 

hJasXVb.jpg

hJasXVb.jpg

This is ~20 minutes after addicting it to the tank. Ridiculous! It's going to be a real centerpiece. 

tsqwNzR.jpg

The left side structure is still in progress. I intend to make a column from the top of that structure down to the base rock in front of it, similar to what I did on the right side. There is not a ton of depth available to me, especially near that overflow. 

2nh5zOK.jpg

Equipment remains the same. Oversized skimmer, UV, refugium, and a loaded-apex setup. Everything is programmed and connected properly so that it is unbelievably easy to operate. 

I press a button, and the feed mode sequence starts. Another button puts on a nice spectrum for 10 minutes to show guests the tank if the lights are off. The stand lights turn on automatically when you open the stand. 

I have yet to organize the dosing stuff; everything is shoved in there.

bUoVMbb.jpg

The left side WAS organized, but has changed a bit so wiring  needs to be fixed again. 

There is kind-of-design flaw (one of several) with the sump. The sock holders are mounted TOO low, so that if you want to use socks or filter cups the refugium water level is pretty low. Not a big deal, but annoying given I could have more volume in there.

nstzVrp.jpg

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

There is kind-of-design flaw (one of several) with the sump. The sock holders are mounted TOO low, so that if you want to use socks or filter cups the refugium water level is pretty low. Not a big deal, but annoying given I could have more volume in there.

Ive been toying with a similar idea. Do i want to run filter socks or not. BC if i do, i loose 3-4 gallons of space in the sump. Thats more space for refugium. I'd like to have a refugium 50% the size of my display (yes i know im not talking micro 300ml like you) but 50% is still 50%.

2 hours ago, mwhitelock said:

wow 🙂 lots to catch up on- that anemone is going to be awesome!! 

Long time no talk! I see your archery posts on facebook occasionally. Yeah, this is a 300 gallon high-tech beast. I cant wait till it grows in!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are so pretty! 

2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

😍 I would love to have a big tank with some big tangs. Tank is coming together nicely!

Thanks guys 🙂. My family is loving it. There was that 2 month setback initially with ich, but after learning my lesson regarding local stores, we are back on track! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, specore said:

Did the fish in the second shipment make it?

Yes they did!!! I was talking about it in the lounge, I didn't update here.  The sailfin, another tang, and cardinal fish arrived perfectly. You can see the sailfin attacking the nori in the video I posted above. Thrilled with the quality of the fish and the shipping/packaging from LiveAquaria. I called them at once point, and they were super confident that everything would be fine. They said that they pack intended for 72 hours in transit- pure O2, 72 hour heat/cold packs, etc. 

• Like 3
On 10/29/2018 at 3:25 PM, Cannedfish said:

Tanks coming along really nicely HP! Also congrats with the breakout boxes! Really clean and clever!

Thank you sir! Printing away. Need more ptinters since I am limited to 10 a day 

zmq9spJ.jpg

nRGRfwi.png

• Like 1

I was originally worried about WC, but it is not more difficult than my reefer. Just upgraded bucket size to 40g. Under 15 minutes- drain out, then refill. No lifting buckets or anything. 

eCzV7nJ.jpg

Coralline!

NnP7rXp.jpg

On 11/1/2018 at 2:29 PM, Griever said:

Those look cool, but what are you using them for? I must have missed that post!

The large toggle is to activate waterchange mode which shuts off everything until you put it back. One button for feed mode, and then the other for photography mode which changes the radion spectrum 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Used LiveAquaria rewards points to get two pairs of bonded Banggai cardinal fish from divers den, which were just delivered! (I’ll get to them in ~3 hours, weather is fine here) 

My favorite piece of equipment in this build is probably the skimmer. The self cleaning head is awesome..... I just drain the black gunk it every week. I’m feeding like 4 cubes and a bunch of algae sheets daily with barely any algae  in the display! 

Everything looks great here. Acros are colorful and encrusting the rock, LPS corals are fluffy, and tangs/other fish are healthy. 

• Like 2

Tank update:

Today I sent out the first ATI ICP test. It’s midway between the bi-weekly waterchanges and a good point in time IMO to check for contaminants and/or missing elements. I used my 3tds RODI as my freshwater sample, to see what the TDS consists of. 

Overall, it’s going smooth as butter. I haven’t lost a single fish in here since the fallow period!! The corals all look great, a bunch of acros gave already encrusted over the glue and onto the rock. I think I’ve lost 2 of 30 acro frags, which is a pretty typical amount.  The LPS look equally happy. 

The current fish stocking is: 

4 Bangai cardinalfish

3 Red Stop Light cardinalfish 

4 Kauderns Cardinalfish (Tiny!)

1 Sailfin tang 

1 Blue tang 

1 Hybrid Powder Blue tang 

1 Tomini Tang 

1 Liutenant Tang 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Looking good! Are you running the printer 24/7? 😄 

The three printers 24/7! Can print around 15 boxes a day, but assemble 8-10. The retailer is getting a sample this week, hopefully they like it! 

• Like 1
On 11/3/2018 at 10:30 AM, HarryPotter said:

I was originally worried about WC, but it is not more difficult than my reefer. Just upgraded bucket size to 40g. Under 15 minutes- drain out, then refill. No lifting buckets or anything. 

eCzV7nJ.jpg

Coralline!

NnP7rXp.jpg

The large toggle is to activate waterchange mode which shuts off everything until you put it back. One button for feed mode, and then the other for photography mode which changes the radion spectrum 🙂 

Do you pump the new water in from a different room?

• HarryPotter changed the title to Potter's 300µL micro-reef