Coral Vue Hydros

Potter's 300µL micro-reef

HarryPotter

Started: August 2018

Current Equipment: 

Display: 96x24x30 tall, with 2 layer top and bottom eurobracing. Dual rear overflow. 

Stand: Unknown manufacturer, from craigslist. Faux stone. Interior lighting, and fan pulling out humid air.

Lighting: 

4 Radion XR30 Pro &  2 Radion XR15 Pro in 2x Aquaticlife 4x54w Hybrid T5 fixture. 
Flow: 2x Vortech MP60wQD

Sump: BashSea Smart Series, 48 x 15" x 16"

Skimmer: Maxspect Aeraqua Duo

Other filtration: 

3x 4” Filter Cups

Return: Eflux 6009, 3170gph.

ATO: Tunze 3155 with 10g eshopps reservoir. 

Controller: Apex 2016, with 2 eb832s & Breakout Box. Trident, DOS. 

Spoiler

AMO9prf.png

Heater: JBJ 1000w, plugged into an Inkbird Temperature controller w. apex cutoff. 

Battery Backup: APC 1500VA. Runs return pump for ~4 hours, and powers apex. 

Dosing: B-ionic 2 part. 

9/3/2018

80vkLIO.jpg

• Like 7
20 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Started: August 2018

Equipment: 

Display: 96x24x30 tall, with 2 layer top and bottom eurobracing. Dual rear overflow. 

Stand: Unknown manufacturer, from craigslist. Faux stone. Interior lighting, and fan pulling out humid air.

Lighting: 2x NanoBox ATI 48" Sunpowers. 8 pucks, 6 bulbs each. Pulls 'bout 11 amps

Hide contents

yrpfYPJ.jpg

😮
Flow: 2x Jebao CP-150, **Insufficient, still looking for more flow** 

Sump: BashSea Smart Series, 48 x 15" x 16"

Refugium Lighting: Random 75w grow light off amazon. 

Skimmer: Reef Octopus REGAL 250SSS with auto-neck cleaner, and float-switch cutoff. Can be controlled via apex 0-10v, but I don't see the point yet. 

Return: Eflux 6009, 3170gph. Only at like 30% or the overflow gurgles. (Under-plumbed 😥)

ATO: Tunze 3155 with 10g eshopps reservoir. 

Controller: Apex 2016, with 2 eb832s & Breakout Box.

Hide contents

AMO9prf.png

Heater: JBJ 1000w, plugged into an Inkbird Temperature controller, with apex cutoff. Redundancy.  *Heater is oversized, no good. Spikes temp as it goes on and off. Need to replace with 500w*

Battery Backup: APC 1500VA. Runs return pump for ~4 hours, and powers apex. 

Element replenishment: Undecided. CA Reactor or doser. 

9/3/2018

80vkLIO.jpg

Such a tease! ☺️

• Like 1
On 9/4/2018 at 1:19 PM, WV Reefer said:

Such a tease! ☺️

How so?!?! 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:58 PM, Weikel said:

Glad to see a build thread for this massive "mirco" reef.... 

Ill come up with a better title at one point, I couldn't think of anything and had to post that after typing it up! The "Engorgio" spell is not well known enough.... Ill take advice. 

Flow updated 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

You've come a long way Harry! I can't wait to see this one stuffed full of corals and fish! 

Thanks teeny! Fish will have to wait a bit, of course had ich breakout when I added a tang. Putting in a UV and giving the tank a fallow period. There was no ammonia or anything, but perhaps it was just too sterile? 

Some great news is that PerfectCorals is still open! I was worried that they got hit too hard from the indo ban- they weren’t responding to FB and their site is down. But I checked out their Instagram, and it looks sweet. This weekend my dad and I will head over and do some damage 😬. It is one of the only places I know that doesn’t have such a large markup on imported LPS/SPS. 

vFvfVJw.jpg

• Like 2

Little elegance 

iYkFQ4z.jpg

Bunch of big wall hammers just added- gold, purple, light blueish. Was pretty aggressive with dipping and cleaning, they’re still pretty closed.

zbpQgG2.jpg

Also added a monti cap chunk, maybe 4”x4”, red. And two or three acro frags. 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, spectra said:

I thought this was Dads tank.....................

He ain’t gonna make a thread! I may be able to get him to post a tank-selfie though 👀

A bit of lighting troubles, so only 1/2 the tank is lit. Hopefully will be resolved in a week or two though! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

(Used) Flow has arrived! 

Ill try try to avoid ripping off the LPS polyps 👀

zO5BZgF.jpg

That's quite a pump for the "engorgio" spell 😄

18 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

just realized the "engorgio" part lol...harry potter

Oh jeez I just did too lol

32 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

(Used) Flow has arrived! 

Ill try try to avoid ripping off the LPS polyps 👀

zO5BZgF.jpg

What a beast!

13 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

Exactly xD, 300ml, supersized x 4000 😂

13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's quite a pump for the "engorgio" spell 😄

Everything is bigger! Grabbed a UV from drfostersmith for $85, I figured it might help keep ich down. But it’s like 36” long 😳

KIFbEvv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Designed and printed a small toggle box: green momentary button activates feed mode, and the (protected) red toggle switch turns on WC/maintenance mode 🙂 

(I don’t want my dad accidentally hitting the toggle switch when turning on feed mode, hence why it has that cover.) 

I do have one more protected switch if anyone wants one of these to connect to their breakout box. 

li9XLhN.jpg

f8U4qim.jpg

• Like 5

Nice.  Been messing with mine as well.  I decided to go with a momentary switch for water changes that is set for a 30 minute cycle and a second momentary switch to end the water change shut down pre maturely.  Guess I worry I might forget to switch off the toggle when I'm done, but I suppose you could just program redundancies for such a scenario.  I do like that box too, looks clean.  I went with a steel junction box and cover for mine.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, specore said:

Nice.  Been messing with mine as well.  I decided to go with a momentary switch for water changes that is set for a 30 minute cycle and a second momentary switch to end the water change shut down pre maturely.  Guess I worry I might forget to switch off the toggle when I'm done, but I suppose you could just program redundancies for such a scenario.  I do like that box too, looks clean.  I went with a steel junction box and cover for mine.  

Just have a “Max Run Time”, mine is set to sound an alarm at 30 minutes and then restart after 45.

oGQIKIP.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Sweet!

LkEATZV.jpg

Nice job making that switch box! Paint that ugly ass door though . Beautiful stand and tank then the back side looks like 💩 hahaha

On 9/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, Euphylin me said:

Hammer colonies look excellent. I was lucky to get these at PerfectCorals for $40 each, they were from the last indo import before the ban. Anywhere else, these are priced in the three digits.  

yfzOikM.jpg

I also moved over a neglected torch from my tank. About 1/3 of the years were dead from being buried, but after being trimmed, the colony looks great here. 

4aZXyfD.jpg

Test acros (also from PerfectCorals) also look great. They were brown on one side from LED shadowing, but are  coloring up quickly. 

L4AZAOt.jpg

• Like 2
On 9/16/2018 at 9:52 AM, HarryPotter said:

Erm.... this was accidental, I swear. But LMFAO

(Blurred to keep it PG) 

TKA3ZF8.jpg

Hammer colonies look excellent. I was lucky to get these at PerfectCorals for $40 each, they were from the last indo import before the ban. Anywhere else, these are priced in the three digits.  

yfzOikM.jpg

I also moved over a neglected torch from my tank. About 1/3 of the years were dead from being buried, but after being trimmed, the colony looks great here. 

4aZXyfD.jpg

Test acros (also from PerfectCorals) also look great. They were brown on one side from LED shadowing, but are  coloring up quickly. 

L4AZAOt.jpg

ha that's great!

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Potter's 300µL micro-reef