Top Shelf Aquatics

Tomini Tang MIA

Drew11

So I purchased a baby Tomini Tang for my 40 breeder this past Friday.... I acclimated it for over an hour and placed it in the tank. I noticed my coral beauty wasn't too pleased to have a new tank mate but seemed to just be more curious than aggressive towards him. No nipping or anything. The next day I couldn't find the tang anywhere in the tank. Still no sign of the tang, I even fed rods frozen food to see if he'd swim out of the rockwork somewhere, no sign of him. 

So Im assuming he just swam into the rock work and has since died in there somewhere? The fish store said they had had the tang for over a month now and it had been healthy and eating. Maybe the coral beauty stressed him out??? I figured it wouldn't be an issue, I guess I was wrong?

Anyone else have any experience with a tang disappearing or a coral beauty not taking a liking to one?

Current fish in tank: Coral Beauty, Sixline, clown

Inverts: just snails and hermits 

Glass lid on the tank and I checked all on the floor to see if he jumped through the small opening in the back where the glass doesnt cover. I'm going to do a water change today so I'll take a look. But I agree, hard to kill a fish in that amount of time... I've had fish hide before after introducing them to the tank for a few days, but I'd occasionally see them swim in and back out of the rocks. This one is a really good hider!

6 minutes ago, Drew11 said:

Glass lid on the tank and I checked all on the floor to see if he jumped through the small opening in the back where the glass doesnt cover. I'm going to do a water change today so I'll take a look. But I agree, hard to kill a fish in that amount of time... I've had fish hide before after introducing them to the tank for a few days, but I'd occasionally see them swim in and back out of the rocks. This one is a really good hider!

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely be concerned about a tang hiding this way.  Not unusual for a goby to disappear, but certainly unusual for a tang to hide for days.