Coral Vue Hydros

Beheading my toadstool-Whoa Baby!

Pjanssen

I looked over the head of the toadstool tonight and decided that it had attached itself to the rock that I had it rubber banded it to. I'm concerned that leaving the rubber band on will cause the toadstool to possibly split itself down the middle, so I decided it was time to remove it. I reached into the tank and cut the band. The toadstool immediately floated away 🤨. Had to scramble to find another rubber band. 

Still no change in the stalk, but the head extends polyps regularly now.

• Like 2

Keep at it! For a "beginner" coral they sure aren't the easiest things to look after especially if they're starting on the wrong foot. 

I still have Toadstools I saved from my crash 11 months ago which haven't recovered and is still just barely holding on! Despite all the LPS and even some SPS bounced to its fullest. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting fragging experience, I need to frag my huge fiji leather at some point and not sure how that will go. I have ripped leathers off rocks by the base and glued them down with superglue, maybe glue would stick to what is left of the base instead of a rubber band?

On 10/4/2018 at 2:44 PM, Christopher Marks said:

@Pjanssen How are the two toadstool halves doing these days? 🙂 

The head is doing great. Not sure if it has attached itself or not yet, but polyp extension and color are both really good. Hopefully later today I'll be able to get in there and check for attachment and maybe get a picture. The stalk still shows no sign of regrowth, but the thread that I read about the same procedure said it was 5 weeks before they saw any signs of polyps. I think I'm at 4 weeks (?).

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Interesting fragging experience, I need to frag my huge fiji leather at some point and not sure how that will go. I have ripped leathers off rocks by the base and glued them down with superglue, maybe glue would stick to what is left of the base instead of a rubber band?

Definitely interesting. I almost gave up a couple of times. I hear other leathers are actually easier and more responsive than Toads when fragging so I say frag away. Fijis are currently in high demand so you could probably sell off some of the frags. Super glue does not work well on leathers, seems to just make a big mess. If it doesn't attach soon though, I may give it a try.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2018 at 11:16 AM, WV Reefer said:

I’ve yet to frag a soft coral. I don’t know if I could do it. 😬

i tried to frag zoas once. turns out i really suck at it. maybe i could frag my toadstool tho. its getting a tad big.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2018 at 12:28 AM, Kellie in CA said:

How is this going?

Great! The original head is bigger than before, although shorter which was the main goal. The stem portion extends polyps, but it still just looks like a stem (with little green polyps on it). Definitely chalk this one up to a success!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Great! The original head is bigger than before, although shorter which was the main goal. The stem portion extends polyps, but it still just looks like a stem (with little green polyps on it). Definitely chalk this one up to a success!

That’s awesome! 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Good.  I just had to do this last weekend because I had a monster 2 headed toadstool taking over my tank and annoying everything.  I cut one of the heads off about an inch up from the base.  I'm hoping it sprouts a new little head.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
Kellie in CA

I was just thinking about this thread.  I ended up beheading both of my toadstools because they grew oddly and were taking over.  5 months later both are back and about 25% as big as they were.  Much more manageable!  These are some amazing corals, it was crazy how fast they regenerated polyps... less than a month!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've been MIA- My toadstool is doing Great! I did end up getting rid of the stalk, even though it had polyps growing on it. I didn't feel like it ws going to really take shape, and i didn't want two in this tank. Meanwhile, the main head has spawned and I have 2 anyway-how poetic!