ReefCleaners.org

Beheading my toadstool-Whoa Baby!

Pjanssen

Christopher Marks
5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I DID IT! fingerscrossed

IMG_5341.thumb.jpg.677721847627652523ecd0f98d9caad2.jpg

Nice work! It really takes some courage! Keep us posted on how the stalk and the frag are healing, it will be neat to document the process for others.

• Like 3

Mad props for the courage!

Most other leathers almost definitely grows back at the stalk, as that's part of a mechanism for them to form branches, (you can almost see little tubular structures which forms new polyps in the stalk when cut. 

Toadstools are a bit more finicky and almost don't have the same tubular structures in the stalk, which make sense as its not part of their growth form. The head will most definitely survive. but the stalk...since most of the stalk is in shadow during natural growth, would it be able to produce enough energy to make new polyps? I wonder if anyone has looked into the amount of energy produced by the polyp has compare to stalk. You could try dosing some amino acids, some other leather keepers insist its absorbed through the skin, I dont see much difference with or without. 

Give it some time, then give the stalk an occasional squeeze, when they've puckered up to the point where they've become hard (like salami - maybe its because they have no way to retain the water to stay puffed up), its rare to see it come back from that. It will start falling apart into a white dust, if you see that happen its best to remove the rest of the stalk and run carbon. 

Agreed with Chris on the documenting, if you dont mind posting your parameters and if you're dosing anything too, would be good to compare results. Good luck, will be following!

PS. I find Iodine baths works wonders as well, cuts on leathers heal faster with iodine baths for me. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

PS. I find Iodine baths works wonders as well, cuts on leathers heal faster with iodine baths for me. 

I chose to use the revive because it seems to be a little gentler. I could take the head out and dip i in Iodine as well if you think it would be good for it. I also have some Aminos and can add some and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I chose to use the revive because it seems to be a little gentler. I could take the head out and dip i in Iodine as well if you think it would be good for it. I also have some Aminos and can add some and see what happens.

I do a double dip every time cut, from revive into iodine, then no rinse and straight back into the tank (Soft Corals use iodine heavily - not too sure for what function though), havent lost any frags like this for about 2 years, so sticking with this routine. I wouldn't stress it as long as the head is healing, if its still floating or you're seeing that puckering  I mentioned before, then feel free to give it some R&R in a nice warm iodine bath. If the cut area is turning black, or you are seeing some tissue necrosis (melting off), bath that bad boy everyday, until it stops. 

• Like 3

It occurred to me to dose the tank with Iodine. I know the Zoas would like it, and it might help with the healing process of the leather. But alas, my iodine test kit is all dried up, and since I can't currently test for it...(Not sure I want to spend another $48.99 for a new test kit).

• Like 1

Not much change in the appearance of either the head or the stalk of the toadstool. No signs of the head reattaching to the rock. I repositioned it a little to make sure the cut end was touching the rock. Started dosing Seachem Reef Plus Vitamin and Amino Acid Supplement every other day. Did a 20% water change on the tank.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

IMG_5360.thumb.jpg.4095ffbfbd42daa2a6e2664651bb6df2.jpg

I don't think it's looking so good. Still no sign of attaching, and has some brown on some of the edges. Not sure if the little starfish on it is a sign of anything or not.

I don’t think it looks too bad. Still hoping it works. ??

• Like 1

I don't know guys, 10 days in and it's not really looking good. The head is not showing any signs of wanting to attach and still looking brown. The stalk just looks like something really inappropriate in my tank.

working on keeping params stable and dosing Reef Plus every day.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I don't know guys, 10 days in and it's not really looking good. The head is not showing any signs of wanting to attach and still looking brown. The stalk just looks like something really inappropriate in my tank.

Has it worsend? I would not lose hope until you actually see it worsen. Until then, it is a positive thing in my mind.

Christopher Marks
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I wonder if it might be more content in a different area?

• Pjanssen changed the title to Beheading my toadstool-Whoa Baby!

Leathers are finicky corals. They get ticked easily so they generally can take an inordinate amount of time to "bounce" back.

I fragged a green leather numerous times. I did no dips, just cut and attach to rocks with various methods.

Each piece took a different amount of time to go back to normal as well as attaching. Sometimes they split.

The bigger the piece seemed to determine how it reacted to being fragged.

• Like 2