SaltCritters.com

Another LED Array - HELP REQUESTED

JoshuA c

Hello,

I am finally starting up another 10 gallon nano-reef after a couple of years out of the hobby. I am building my own LED system and was hoping to get a couple of knowledgeable/experienced forum members to check off on my design. Specifically, I think my drivers and power supply should be sufficient to handle the load of the LEDs in this configuration, but I would be more comfortable getting another opinion. My hope is that this system can support a bubble tip anemone and SPS corals. Thank you for any help you can offer.

There are three "strings" of LEDs, each one controllable by a PWM-dimmable driver. The three drivers are then powered by a single power supply and controlled by an Arduino Uno. Below are links to the components followed a screenshot of the schematic.

LEDs

Royal blue, blue, and red

Violet

Neutral Whites

Driver

LDD-L Series Mean Well Step-Down Mode CC DC-DC LED Drivers ("Wires", 700 mA, 9-36 Vin, 2-32 Vout)

Power Supply

LRS-150-24 Mean Well LRS Series Enclosed Style Switching Power Supply (24 Vout, 150 W)

lighting_screenshot_20180901.png

Buy your drivers and power supplies from LED Supply, but get your LEDs from StevesLEDs, better pricing and selection, and the Luxeons just plain work out better anyway.

A suggestion- if you have a spare 19-21 volt laptop power supply they are perfect for these builds. I get them free from work and use them on all my nano fixtures these days.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:33 AM, daniel ball said:

I have read your post it is very amazing.Thanks for sharing your post...

Cheers!

On 9/7/2018 at 11:23 AM, Lingwendil said:

Buy your drivers and power supplies from LED Supply, but get your LEDs from StevesLEDs, better pricing and selection, and the Luxeons just plain work out better anyway.

A suggestion- if you have a spare 19-21 volt laptop power supply they are perfect for these builds. I get them free from work and use them on all my nano fixtures these days.

Thanks for the suggestions! I work with enough techies that I bet I can find a spare computer power supply. So you recommend Luxeon over Cree LEDs? And what do you mean by work better (eg. more reliable, longer lasting, more accurate wavelength emission, etc.)? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

For a 10g I would say maybe 8-10 Luxeon Royal Blues,2 Neutral Whites & 2 Warm Whites,4-6 Violets[400-430nm) RapidLed has all the different spectrum violets,2 True Blues.