Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hayreddin’s Reef - IM Nuvo 10

hayreddin

Hi everyone

New to the hobby and just finished setting up my first tank after a few months of lurking in the forums and doing as much research as I can. Glad to have it up and ready to cycle to get the process going. The final cabinet it will be on arrives in a week so it’s temporarily placed for now. My build currently is:

Livestock

black clownfish

1 turbo snail

3 nassarius snails

Equipment

IM NUVO Fusion 10

Kessil a80 w/ spectral controller

Tunze Nano ATO

Filtration

10 lbs Caribsea Special grade

7-8 lbs BRS reef saver dry rock

InTank Media Basket:

Filter floss

Chemipure Blue

Sea chem matrix

Here is a current tank shot shot after leak testing and filling. I have a few quick beginner questions that I would love help with. I had to join two of my pieces of rock together using epoxy and the LFS suggested this red epoxy to blend in with any coralline growth. Now I’m thinking this may have been a wrong choice. Thoughts? Should I get some better matching epoxy and thinly cover what can be seen, or do I need to chisel it out and reapply with a better color? I also only used about 8 lbs of rock because I didn’t want the tank to look too full before adding anything else. Do you think that will be enough rock?

8F48DED2-1F82-439A-8EDD-0EE8D7BF7412.jpeg

95DA0D6F-1E5C-4634-AD2D-31920D4767AC.jpeg

• Like 1

I dont think that the epoxy will be too  noticeable when you get coralline on your rocks.

What are you planning on stocking your tank with? Fish, inverts, coral, cuc, etc.

• Thanks 1

Once coraline, other algaes, and corals are in the tank, you won't see the epoxy.

The amount of rock you have is fine. Like you said, too much rock gives you no room for corals or cleaning.

• Thanks 1

@Joevember I’m thinking on clown with the possibility of a watchman goby and shrimp down the line. As for corals mostly LPS and softies, I am really leaning towards zoas and euphyilia right now. Thanks for the reassurance on the epoxy, I think it’s just me overthinking the small stuff in a new tank

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Once coraline, other algaes, and corals are in the tank, you won't see the epoxy.

The amount of rock you have is fine. Like you said, too much rock gives you no room for corals or cleaning.

The cleaning was another big factor for less rock. More room for the corals to grow into is the best part. 

• Like 1

Hey! Welcome!

Simple and sweet. I like it. However, as the only thing, I personally would be ready with some rock for another little island - it’s a good way to isolate corals and it gives character.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, hayreddin said:

@Joevember I’m thinking on clown with the possibility of a watchman goby and shrimp down the line. As for corals mostly LPS and softies, I am really leaning towards zoas and euphyilia right now. Thanks for the reassurance on the epoxy, I think it’s just me overthinking the small stuff in a new tank

All awesome inhabitants! 😁

Euphyllia are some of my favorite corals. I have a torch garden in my 65 gallon that really bring the aquascape together, but don't be surprised in a year when they take over lol.

20180828_191321.jpg

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Hey! Welcome!

Simple and sweet. I like it. However, as the only thing, I personally would be ready with some rock for another little island - it’s a good way to isolate corals and it gives character.

Thanks! I have a small piece of rock to the left that is separated from the main rock but after your suggestion I may swap that out for something bigger.

16 minutes ago, Joevember said:

All awesome inhabitants! 😁

Euphyllia are some of my favorite corals. I have a torch garden in my 65 gallon that really bring the aquascape together, but don't be surprised in a year when they take over lol.

20180828_191321.jpg

Those torches are beautiful! I really like the movement you can get out of them, I’m very excited. 

• Thanks 1

Beginner question for anyone willing to help, I was really hoping to get the Kessil a160we for this tank but i'm worried it might stretch my budget too much to quickly. Part of me wonders if could I get by with an a80 for awhile and then upgrade to the 160, I'm mainly looking at keeping LPS and softies with the hope to eventually move to some SPS but that seems quite a ways off. But the other part of me thinks I should just get the light I want rather than waiting and upgrading in the future. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did/didn't you like about the way you went about acquiring and upgrading your lights.

I run the A80, just as a lot of our co-nuvo10-reefers. It will do just fine for most lps/softies and even beginner SPS.

For ~$50 more you can get the AI Prime HD, which will definitely do the trick and then you do not have to worry about upgrading right away.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Daniel91 said:

No controller. Just an 8 hourly daily timer.

I would love a controller but currently, where I stand in reefing, it is not needed IMO.

Awesome, thank you!

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @hayreddin! 👋 Looks like you're off to a great start with your nano reef 🙂 

2 hours ago, hayreddin said:

I was really hoping to get the Kessil a160we for this tank but i'm worried it might stretch my budget too much to quickly. Part of me wonders if could I get by with an a80 for awhile and then upgrade to the 160, I'm mainly looking at keeping LPS and softies with the hope to eventually move to some SPS but that seems quite a ways off. But the other part of me thinks I should just get the light I want rather than waiting and upgrading in the future. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did/didn't you like about the way you went about acquiring and upgrading your lights.

In this hobby you will find that buying aquarium equipment often creates this dilemma, especially with larger investments like lighting. Most people tend to upgrade over time, it's only natural, our early experiences tend to steer us in new directions or change our original plans. The goal is to find reliable equipment, which doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot! It sounds like the A80 could suit your goals quite well, it's a popular combo with the Nuvo 10. How are you with other 'gadgets' in your life, do you think you'll get the itch to upgrade anyways within the first year? Be honest with yourself, because buying 1 light is a lot cheaper than buying 2 😉

If you're just beginning your cycle now, you won't technically need a light for a good 4 weeks, maybe that extra time can help with your decision and budgeting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @hayreddin! 👋 Looks like you're off to a great start with your nano reef 🙂 

In this hobby you will find that buying aquarium equipment often creates this dilemma, especially with larger investments like lighting. Most people tend to upgrade over time, it's only natural, our early experiences tend to steer us in new directions or change our original plans. The goal is to find reliable equipment, which doesn't necessarily have to cost a lot! It sounds like the A80 could suit your goals quite well, it's a popular combo with the Nuvo 10. How are you with other 'gadgets' in your life, do you think you'll get the itch to upgrade anyways within the first year? Be honest with yourself, because buying 1 light is a lot cheaper than buying 2 😉

If you're just beginning your cycle now, you won't technically need a light for a good 4 weeks, maybe that extra time can help with your decision and budgeting.

Thank you so much for the welcome! I have to say the only thing that has been as exciting as setting up this tank is joining this community. There is such a wealth of knowledge, it's fantastic!

Like you mentioned, I have seen a lot of Nuvo 10's with the a80 and they seem to work really well together. I ended up, based on these recommendations today, picked up an a80, spectral controller, and gooseneck from the classifieds section. I know I could have waited until the end of the cycle but the combination of a good deal in the classifieds as well as the confidence from other members that the a80 is a great light for these tanks helped speed up acquisition.

• Like 1

The A80 is a solid light for the Fusion 10.  I just picked up a A160 + spectral controller this weekend.  Watch a few videos on youtube for the spectral controller to familiarize yourself with it.  It's not complicated, but I found myself getting frustrated because I noticed that the light wasn't turning off for the night.  I was super tired and not in the mood with fooling wit the tank anymore for the day.  Turns out the cord that runs from the spectral controller to the light was in the "output" hole (in the light) instead of the input.  Doh!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

The A80 is a solid light for the Fusion 10.  I just picked up a A160 + spectral controller this weekend.  Watch a few videos on youtube for the spectral controller to familiarize yourself with it.  It's not complicated, but I found myself getting frustrated because I noticed that the light wasn't turning off for the night.  I was super tired and not in the mood with fooling wit the tank anymore for the day.  Turns out the cord that runs from the spectral controller to the light was in the "output" hole (in the light) instead of the input.  Doh!

Thanks for the heads up on the spectral controller. I would have never thought of checking YouTube for tips on something like that so I appreciate the suggestion. Besides, it’ll give me something to do while I wait impatiently for it to arrive!

Well I finally got through my cycle about 2 weeks ago. Had a bit of algae growth so I picked up some snails that have been munching away ever since. I also picked up a little black clownfish after the tank showed it could process ammonia quickly for a week without any issues. Had the little guy (girl?) a few days, LFS wasn’t sure which it was but it’ll be the only one in the tank so I assume female then? Either way it’s eating well and loves playing around in the flow. 

As for additional livestock I eventually want to add a shrimp, propbably a skunk cleaner, and a fire fish. I would also love to add some coral, primarially zoas and euphyllia, but I didn’t know how long the tank should be established before adding them. I know they are far more sensitive to ammonia and bio load additions so I didn’t know if I should plan to wait 6+ months before considering adding them or if you just take it one addition at a time and see if the tank remains stable?

Sorry for the terrible photography, still trying to get the hang of how to shoot this thing. 

D0BA65B3-D081-4B17-A7C4-A97B4AE5F7A6.jpeg

3EE50504-3152-43BE-9EA2-C4EAB3E38281.gif

• Like 1

Lookin good, cleaners are great additions. They are always scuttling around your scape and pick at your hands. I would add it after you put in corals though, because they are pretty sensitive to water chemistry. 

I would slowly add corals in. Start soft, like zoas, because they are hardier than other corals. After the cycle is done you can start adding.

• Thanks 1