Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biocube 32

snostorm

Ok so I am done with the stock lighting on the Biocube 32.  AM presently exploring options for upgrading.  At first I liked the idea of removing the hood altogether and using a pendent solution like the Kessel or AI prime.  Additionally this gives me options for HOB skimmers, media reactors etc....

Alternatively, retro fitting the hood I like for keeping evaporation in check, have been looking at Steves LEDS and Nanobox retro kits.   I really want to add a skimmer which pretty much leaves me with a Tunze 9001 along side my intank media basket. Are these skimmers effective in the biocube? As im leaning towards keeping the hood.

If you leaning towards keeping the hood then NanoBox Retro. Personally I wouldn't want to look at the rim or a HOB skimmer.

Tunze 9001 is your best choice for a skimmer on this aquarium.

I have the 32 cube and nanobox. Super easy install and looks nice . I used to run the tunze and cheato in the media basket. Always had zero nitrates.  Took the cheato out and the skimmer started skimming darker and now my niatates stay at 1 and I only do a water change 1 a month.  I do only have 2 fish and feed lightly..You will have to remove a couple tabs of plastic if you run intank media basket and tunze. Steve has a great video on it . I did it with water In the tank took me about 5 mins..

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ladytank said:

Question where do I find Steve's video on the lighting?

If u are referring to my post I was talking about his video on skimmer and basket install. But Dave from nano box has a good video on his retro install on a cube. I think in tank has a link in their site too for this ..

• Like 1

I went the AI Prime route and I love it. Evaporation is not a huge problem for me, maybe 0.5 gal/week, I do live in Houston, so it is humid... we keep the house at 73 degrees and humidity fluctuates between 35 and 50%.

After observing the rim on my 32 Im thinking I dont want to see that either...thanks SteveT.  I have seen people are pulling the rims off them and its a nice look but seems dangerous to me.  Wouldn't that compromise the structural integrity of the tank?

Personally I wouldn't do it.  Think it looks ugly for one since it was never designed to be rimless.  You may as well buy a rimless AIO at that point.  Why buy a tank with a hood then remove 70% of the tank...

I haven't seen any structural issues with people doing it on the 29 versions.  The glass is thick enough and it's all locked in the bottom molded plastic.  But it is something to still think about.