ReefCleaners.org

How shy are firefish?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hello all! I was considering using a purple or maybe Helfrichi firefish in a future reef tank...IF they will not spend their whole day hiding. How shy are the firefishes? Would I regularly see them or would I need to look in every nook and cranny every day just to get a glimpse of them?

A Little Blue

Ppl have different experiences with these guys. My stays in the open all day long, darting from one side of the tank to the other. Just posted a video on my journal thread if you want to see him for yourself. 

They are pretty shy.  Mine was very shy when I added a tank mate but now comes out all the time (he has a cave he calls home).  I think it’s all about what else is in the tank. 

It totally depends on the fish and his tank mates.  My purple was totally cool with my clown for a few months then the bastard harassed the firefish so much he never came out.  He was never injured, just shoved back into his cave every time he poked his head out.  It took a few months after the clown perished for him to decide it was ok to pop out for more than a second at a time.  I've since added a couple of gobies and the 3 can be often seen hanging out near the firefish's cave opening. 

27 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

The tank is going to be rather small, so it may be the only fish in the tank.

In that case once he gets used to it, he will be out all the time 

When I added my purple firefish it was as shy as most fish. It hid from us when we went near the tank but once it was comfy in it's new home, it was out and about all the time.

Its skittish behaviour will also depend on other tank mates.