inTank Media Baskets

Half Gallon Reef Jar

coopaloop

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I vote 12 Long! Run it across the back of your desk. 😄

Those dimensions are so tempting... I know if I get anything else I'll wind up wanting it in the end hahah I was actually thinking of the desk idea but remembered I just got a monitor. I really want to get an AIO insert, run it as a peninsula, and be able to see it on both sides. Only way I can think of doing this would be putting the stand on the side of my bed

• Like 1

Okay well the jar has seen better days... the shrooms disappeared, birds nest is a goner, blasto is pale as hell, and everything else looks pretty terrible🙃 So that's great. Going to clean it tomorrow and see how things end up

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’ll post a pic soon but the jar is looking pretty bare and underwhelming for people that want to see it and myself as well!!! GSP is starting to open up again, orange ric and acan look good but really getting the itch for a torch and a fish. Think I’m going to ditch the wood crate behind the jar and get a new light fixture. 

Also seeing some hydroids on the glass I think

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, Wonderboy said:

You might be able to get away with putting it on an analog timer, having it run every other 15 mins - though you would need to monitor temp swings throughout cycles and the day again.

I was actually thinking of that but was worried about it not turning off.

Not much is new on the jar after the move. The lfs by my new place in chicago doesn't have a lot of frags so if anyone knows of any in the area let me know. The acan and blasto both have new heads and are growing well.

I've been dealing with a bit of GHA and found a tiny bit of bubble algae in the jar. Parameters are good and I've kept up with water changes but I removed the crate my light was sitting on so its about 6in lower than before.

• 1 month later...

Found a lfs I like and can finally start adding to this again - I went a little overboard and got exactly what I told myself I wouldn't get.. something relatively big hahah I was so close to getting a 1 or 2 headed duncan. Also brought home 2 snails and zoas that I'm hoping start to open up after taking them off the frags

P3110195-2.thumb.jpg.cfbb018c123bf78742dac8be3d0baed7.jpg

I switch out the par bulb for the Asta 20 Marine, removed the crate, and switched the airline to a black tube. The setup has a much smaller footprint 

Acan and blasto are still doing well and have new heads but the slime from the acan usually makes me change more than 100% of the water each week after stirring everything up and accidentally knocking it. There's been some algae and a wild episode of 50-100 of these guys in January 

Photo by @itznico:

2121513846_ScreenShot2019-03-11at10_33_31PM.thumb.png.00129ca3ffd3cd5dc0eebeafec57774d.png

Other than getting the macro I keep talking about, I still should go with smaller/shorter coral like zoas, rics, and shrooms. The store had some quarterish sized RFAs for $40 that I've been thinking about.. Oh and the crab lives on 

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 2:02 AM, MetaTank said:

How are you liking that Asta 20? I think mine should be arriving sometime today.

Noinoi24 was nice enough to send it to me after I asked for his opinion on it! I know he switched from it because he wanted more spread

Without a rim I had to drill into the back of my nightstand to hold the light. It's perfect for my tiny setup - can sit right above the lid, covers everything, looks sleek, and is growing my softies. I like being able to turn the blues/whites up or down especially for photos (something I couldn't do with the par bulb) but you do have to point the remote right in front of the dimmer, which I have in a drawer. My other complaint is not being able to set a schedule that turns to all blues at night - a feature I've been wanting lately but not expected for a $50 light so not exactly a complaint!

I like this light a lot and it has a quality build that you can feel by its weight. You should still consider a used Nanobox or Prime to avoid later upgrades but I think the Asta is a top pick for low cost LEDs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hermit never took to another shell so I put in the last one I had and of course it moved right in... Think it may be time the crab moves out hahaha

P3270201-2.thumb.jpg.60378089b7254bbced7de00641f55e07.jpg

Looks like its raining from having the air pump turned up

• Like 3
On 3/29/2019 at 10:51 AM, Christopher Marks said:

I'm glad to see the half gallon pico jar is still going strong @coopaloop!

How have the new zoanthids been doing in there? They tend to fuss for a good week or two after being introduced.

One bunch was attached to a piece of rock glued to the plug and those opened up after a day! The other group was scrapped entirely off the plug and took a few extra days to open

Though, I kind of regret not waiting to find more colorful ones and might move these to the back