Cultivated Reef

Half Gallon Reef Jar

coopaloop

On 10/24/2018 at 6:35 AM, seabass said:

Zoanthids are usually a good choice for picos.  Maybe something with a little height, like a Duncan.  I think a Goniopora would be awesome, but require more care: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

Thanks for all the help on everything! I was planning on getting zoas and a ric next. I was trying to think of something taller too and didn't think of a Duncan. Plan on looking for one now

On 10/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, Lula_Mae said:

In my experience, finding macros locally is mostly a matter of luck. Most I've had came from online. For pico- sized portions, try LA Reefs or on Ebay, 333aquatics.

I've asked them every time I go to get water and its starting to look that way. I like the red palm you ordered awhile back and want something similar - tall and red haha. Also like Gracilaria and dragon's breath or tongue

On 10/25/2018 at 7:07 PM, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

Maybe try a hot plate on 'keep warm' setting

With hot plates and heating mats I'm just worried about having it on 24/7 and unattended

HookedOnAquariums

You could use the preset 7.5 watt aqueon (they have it at petco) and put the wire though the hole, putting wires back together is simple and would work well for no wires over the rim.

2 hours ago, coopaloop said:

Thanks for all the help on this! I was planning on getting zoas and a ric next. I was trying to think of something taller too and didn't think of a Duncan. Plan on looking for one now.

I've asked them every time I go to get water and its starting to look that way. I like the red palm you ordered from them awhile back and want something similar - tall and red haha. Also like Gracilaria and dragon's breath or tongue. 

The red palm is awesome, mine is a little scraggly looking at the moment from being shoved in the back of my little frag tank but hopefully it'll recover.  Botryocladia/red grapes is a favorite of mine and I'm planning to order some soon.  Gracilaria is definitely awesome and does well for me even not fastened down.  I love dragon's breath with the orange tips but it does not do well for me and I am so bummed!  I keep trying though lol. 

Something else you might consider that's reddish is a montipora digitata--I know forest fire is reddish and there's other varieties too.  Bubble gum looks pretty cool in pictures.  That might be another option for the height you're looking for.  They're supposed to be easier SPS but I suck at keeping SPS alive so I can't tell you from personal experience lol.

• Like 1

So a few changes lately - don't have my camera and had to use my phone. About a week and a half ago I added a ric, shroom, and then a birds nest that I figured I would try and give away if things went south. Planning on getting some zoas.

Again, no sign of macros at the store so I'll have to order online. The jar has been going well with algae pretty much only on the hermits shell. I might switch out the birds nest for a tall macro. Wish the sand wasn't so coarse too.

1117513427_IMG_30832.thumb.jpg.676d6b9661dc21b5d0c1b53815b78a3f.jpg

Also decided to put a heater in the jar since the temp was constantly on the lower end. I used a Archaea 25W Slim Heater with Controller. A lot of people including @Lula_Mae used it in the container contest and recommended it so thank you again! Since I would be adding cords to the jar, I figured I would swap out the drilled jar and feed the air hose through the top so I don't have to worry about a leak. As small as the heater is (5in)... it almost didn't fit the jar... so I had to loop the cord and drill the edge of the lid.

384703176_IMG_30952.thumb.jpg.c4e5dd21f758842624b5c294681a4663.jpg

• Like 3
On 11/16/2018 at 2:26 PM, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Oh wow coming along nicely!

On 11/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, ccejka said:

Very cool I really dig the way that looks. 

Thank you both! Things are still going well. A little more evap since the changes but still only need to top off once a week

Another addition I was thinking is a brittle star. Probably should add 1-2 small snails too. Lastly, thought of maybe giving away the hermit and getting an electric blue or sexy shrimp

I’ll be moving to Chicago in the start of December so fingers crossed the move goes well and I don’t have to break it down (might be staying at my brothers for a bit)

Since it was Black Friday I had to buy something and decided on 2 sexy shrimp/some frags. Acan was kind of an impulse buy and I’m not really sure where I want to put it since it looks so big. I probably shouldn’t have picked the biggest one hahaha I was supposed to get zoas

Need to bring my camera home and swap out the pics later this week

9F3E8A4E-82C0-4025-B23C-AC0227BFCB06.thumb.jpeg.305d925136cd34e745368406b2b0f585.jpeg

• Like 5

Tomorrow I'll be moving into my brothers' studio for a month... so as small as this jar is I won't be able to take it for 2-3 weeks when we move into a 2 bedroom. My plan is to have my parents top the jar off and change the water once or twice while I'm gone.

Hoping these aren't the last pics I take of it haha everything's a little closed up after shortening the frag plugs and changing the water twice before I leave (gsp and shrooms especially). 

PB290116-2.thumb.jpg.5c56ad18b85db855e1fb3bbb8e6f546c.jpg

FTS after about 4 months - glad a sexy found its way in. I'm wanting to fill the rock with zoas, rics, and shrooms if its still kicking next month.

PB290145-2.thumb.jpg.51647e6cbe5337e74b9e810a60b5d365.jpg

• Like 9
Christopher Marks

Best of luck in the move! 2-3 weeks isn't too long, it should be fine! Ask your parents to call you if you're ever unsure before doing anything with the tank.

How has the water temperature been with the new 25w heater? Do you warm up your water change water as well now?

• Thanks 1
On 11/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Best of luck in the move! 2-3 weeks isn't too long, it should be fine! Ask your parents to call you if you're ever unsure before doing anything with the tank.

How has the water temperature been with the new 25w heater? Do you warm up your water change water as well now?

Thank you! Based on how easy upkeep has been it should be okay *knock on wood*

You can't see it but there’s a small 1.5in temp sticker on the side that has consistently read 78. I also left a different thermometer in there for a week that read the same thing so it seems like the 25W heater with the controller has been working really well. Also, I know I probably should butttt I haven't warmed up my water before a water change since I started the jar. It sits in a 2.5gal jug from a lfs at around 72

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 3:31 PM, Wonderboy said:

Looks great! Looking forward to the updates after moving!

Thank you! Sadly I got an update today and it’s not looking too hot... water is very cloudy, air pump came disconnected, sexies dead, and I’m guessing most of the corals might be goners. Might be starting fresh when it gets here next weekend..

No bueno. I really think I could have had this going awhile if I could have had it with me

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, coopaloop said:

Might be starting fresh when it gets here next weekend

I hope you do if you have the time - you definitely have the ability to efficiently influence even the smallest aspects - I think that your setup was smart and just about to really take off. Very sorry for the creatures, but you haven't lost any lessons, so I'm looking forward to the situational response. Wishing you luck with what you deal with next!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I hope you do if you have the time - you definitely have the ability to efficiently influence even the smallest aspects - I think that your setup was smart and just about to really take off. Very sorry for the creatures, but you haven't lost any lessons, so I'm looking forward to the situational response. Wishing you luck with what you deal with next!

Really appreciate it! Means a lot being my first go at things. I had someone change the water and though the sexies and probably the birdsnest didn't make it I think everything else might be alright. Surprised after seeing pictures of it... Couldn't even see through it 

Oh and the crab is good!! hahah hopefully it can handle the car ride coming up next 

• Like 2
On 12/13/2018 at 11:49 PM, coopaloop said:

Found out “it hasn’t had bubbles the past two weeks”😅 

That happened to me once- had stayed with my parents for a bit and while moving to my apartment, I left a quarantine with two green banded gobies and a porcelain. Stopped by a couple days later, it was really loud, come to find out the airline came out of the water and everything was dead. :mellow:

Good thing is, at most you should just need to cycle again and be on your way again!

• Like 2

Dang! Sorry 😞 I have an airline on my QT tank and I actually taped it to the air pump and the tank... I was eyeballing it and thinking my cats would find the clear tubing fun to swat around. 

I do wonder in such a small tank, would Xenia provide enough flow for a day or two if an air pump failed? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, coopaloop said:

Couldn't even see through it

Wow - that is not funny - I would have had something like a mini heart attack.

It is so good to hear that most might have made it.

The crab and I are very ready for the turnaround!

@Tamberav Cats are the largest chaos factor in all of my micro-environments, too. :sideeyes:

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Wow - that is not funny - I would have had something like a mini heart attack.

It is so good to hear that most might have made it.

The crab and I are very ready for the turnaround!

@Tamberav Cats are the largest chaos factor in all of my micro-environments, too. :sideeyes:

dee5548908c796e45b93d1d87eda858572132439

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My brother's girlfriend actually does have a cat so that may make things interesting hahaha

The jar comes today! We'll see how it held up. I've also been thinking of upgrading... Don't know if I can end the reef jar this quick though. I've wanted a 12 long but I'm not sure it'll fit in my bedroom, which is 9ft x 12ft and I'll be putting a desk in. Have been looking these (of course they raised the price🙄

https://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_CRYSTAL_Aquarium_45_Degree_Low_Iron_Ultra_Clear_7.4_Gallon_(with_Built_In_Side_Filter)_Nano_Tanks-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB9366-FIAQNC-vi.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_CRYSTAL_Aquarium_45_Degree_Low_Iron_Ultra_Clear_3.8_Gallon_(with_Built_In_Side_Filter)_Nano_Tanks-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB9373-FIAQNC-vi.html

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, coopaloop said:

My brother's girlfriend actually does have a cat so that may make things interesting hahaha

The jar comes today! We'll see how it held up. I've also been thinking of upgrading... Don't know if I can end the reef jar this quick though. I've wanted a 12 long but I'm not sure it'll fit in my bedroom, which is 9ft x 12ft and I'll be putting a desk in. Have been looking these (of course they raised the price🙄

https://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_CRYSTAL_Aquarium_45_Degree_Low_Iron_Ultra_Clear_7.4_Gallon_(with_Built_In_Side_Filter)_Nano_Tanks-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB9366-FIAQNC-vi.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_CRYSTAL_Aquarium_45_Degree_Low_Iron_Ultra_Clear_3.8_Gallon_(with_Built_In_Side_Filter)_Nano_Tanks-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB9373-FIAQNC-vi.html

I vote 12 Long! Run it across the back of your desk. 😄

• Like 1